New Screenshots :)

I would like a hidden cat level please.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I would like a hidden cat level please.

Sorry, but that is reserved for the Alien game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

what about a hidden crate level, and hidden inside the crate are cats. Possibly ninja cats?

I'd be blown away. I'm just not sure an earthly developer is capable of that kind of awesomeness, though.

Oh?

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Loved the screenshots, understandably the game is far from completed and therefore a little rough around the edges but the scenery looked beautiful. Never really cared much for cutting edge graphics with mind blowing requirements like, oh, I don't know, Crysis? I'm looking forward to a demo prior to release? pwetty pwease? Anyway, loved the work on this one and looking forward to it soon.

This game WILL get a huge marketing campaign believe me, every time I hear sneeky bits of info about Sega (hey its my job) I never stop hearing how much Sega is impressed with Alpha Protocol... I've heard it from a few different sources too, all saying that Sega thinks it will be a beast.

I'm hope they are right, I believe they are.

This game WILL get a huge marketing campaign believe me, every time I hear sneeky bits of info about Sega (hey its my job) I never stop hearing how much Sega is impressed with Alpha Protocol... I've heard it from a few different sources too, all saying that Sega thinks it will be a beast.

I have a friend who works for Sega (and is usually pretty prepared to trash them when he feels like it) and he seems to have a similar opinion; the folks at Obsidian must be doing a bang up job.

StarWarsKnights.com -- Do not invent details which are not in the play

I have a friend who works for Sega (and is usually pretty prepared to trash them when he feels like it) and he seems to have a similar opinion; the folks at Obsidian must be doing a bang up job.

****ing ace. Go you good thing.

On the other hand humans are still stupid

On the other hand, with decent titles like NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian showed they are willing to learn from past mistakes. We honestly hope they are just as cautious with Alpha Protocol, the company's upcoming spy-themed RPG. Visually, they could also make a better effort, because right now -- judging from the latest screenshots -- the game looks a wee bit outdated.

User comments:

Looks like a budget title. Totally unappealing.

heh, I was jut about to bitch about this whole argument about how everyone is just focusing on graphics these days.....

....and then I saw the screens... YUCK!

(spotted at RPG Codex like lulzy RPG thingies usually are)

Now I've never felt need to bash eye candy and how developers spend resources on graf1xes (which is as stupid and useless as whining women are too beautiful in summer ) but...

My facepalm-o-meter exploded

(not all comments all like that though, many are "positive" ones)

Oh:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2. Although both of these titles were enjoyable, they could never really amount to the success of their predecessors (both of which have been done by BioWare).

Both were critically and commercially succesful and in my opinion both vastly superior games to their predecessors.

Well, they gave props to MotB. Before bitching about graphics that is :shifty:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Haha. The Codex needs to be taken with a grain of salt. On the one hand there are some valid, good posts floating around... on the other hand it's full of Something Awful style trolls and idiots. I'd sooner visit NMA.

Whilst I am no fan of the latest and greatest graphics, I think there are some graphical anomalies in the screenshots. Many things seem too... ordered, new, pure, unused. I have faith they'll sort that out soon enough, though.

Yeah

I mean, since when graphics of game before year its publishment have been finished anyway?

Codex is certainly interesting (I only put that thread there because that's where I originally found link). They make a lot of good points and there's intelligent posters there, but on the other hand there are people like skyway that make my head explode by absolute retartedness every once in a while ( "**** this stupid emo console ****fest bla bla bla" )

Way how they whined and moaned about how writing suckzor in Alpha Protocol (based on that one small extract from conv. between Thorton and some womyn) took retardation on whole new level. C'mon, game has Mitsoda AND Avellone as writers.

And it looks like they just whined there was nothing special in the writing of scene - well protip: Mundane conversations in airplane doesn't usually aim at Ravelesque conversation. It looked like beliavable, true and good writing - of course it is nothing like Kreia or PS:T cast or something - for very mundane start of conversation. Because really, that's how people initiate them

...not to mention "bla bla bla Alpha Protocol is boring real world sucks bla bla" :lol:

edit: to be fair one who said that has double dumb**** tag on him *shrug*

Overall I really like Codex - but sometimes it (or more like some of its members) piss me off

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

The Codex is a rather hit-and-miss place nowadays. There are defientely people who know what they're talking about, but then there are the people who're turning it into something... not so desirable. And the quality of newsposts and content have greatly diminished since Vault Dweller left.

Still, I felt that the complaints about that dialogue snippet were justified. Of course, one shouldn't judge the games writing based on that, but what was showcased didn't feel very realistic to me. Nor did it succesfully achieve that "spymovie" wittyness (which was what it seemed to go for as far as I could tell) that we see in James Bond. It was also a weird example to use in that article since the choices seemed to amount to the same thing in the end.

I like Avellones writing a lot, as well as Mitsodas from Bloodlines, but writing a spy-themed game inspired by James Bond and Bourne or whatever is a very different thing than what they've done before.

Like I said on that Codex post though, I cannot understand how someone would criticize Alpha Protocol based on the technical side of the visuals. I mean seriously, the game looks fine. The whole graphics thing is becoming more and more silly with each passing year. If this isn't good enough for people, then...wow.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I can't remember the whole snippet and I don't know where to find scans again *shrug* *wink wink*

I thought it was just very mundane. No good, no bad. Didn't see anything horribly unrealistic about it either (especially since that lacked all the non-verbal communication bits, voice acting etc.)

Edited by Xard

The Codex brings some good (and understandably bad) memories. I enjoyed working as part of the staff but ever since I quit, I haven't thought twice nor visited the forums again. At some point, someone whips ups their Retardotron MkII and manages to corrupt the level of intelligence. Trudging through to find it is more of an exercise in masochism than genuine interest in the site or its theme of discussion. If you could oust the bad seeds, drop the whole "we won't ever gobble down your ****, Mr. Developer Man, except if you're Tim Cain or some indie developer no one ever heard about" and have a slightly more open attitude, and bump up the level of moderation, it would be sweet. As it stands, it was a fun experience but it was time to move on and grow.

It really is law of internet that if you even mention RPG Codex it no matter what dominates at least some of the following conversation :ermm:

"we won't ever gobble down your ****, Mr. Developer Man, except if you're Tim Cain or some indie developer no one ever heard about"

I like their approach in general (especially if it is contrasted to 90 % of other game media) but have to agree on last part. Double standards are funneh

and have a slightly more open attitude

Quoted for mother****ing truth

Edited by SteveThaiBinh to remove scanned material

I doubt writing can be very dry with such characters

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

I guess that goes along the lines of Metal Gear Solid's exagarrated characters. Though I hope Obsidian would put restraint on the exagerration unlike Kojima which can go beyond exagerrate to simply bizaare and out of the world.

I don't know, if they get to the Kill Bill range with their character it'll be beyond awesome

Obsidian can't allow magazine scans on its forums, and I believe this applies even to text-only scans. If someone is willing to type the text out and post it (rather than an image), that would probably be okay. I do realise how ridiculous this looks, but we're trying to protect Obsidian's good name and the forum from evil lawyer monsters.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I guess that goes along the lines of Metal Gear Solid's exagarrated characters. Though I hope Obsidian would put restraint on the exagerration unlike Kojima which can go beyond exagerrate to simply bizaare and out of the world.

I don't know about that. I think they are operating on fundamentaly diffent levels. Obsidian are interested in making a game, while Kojima is interested in making an experience. By this, I mean that Feargus and co. follow traditional design and development with the clear intention of creating a videogame, while the exagerate and bizarre in Kojima's works come from a desire to explore many possibilities of the medium, such as perception of reality through exploiting the virtual - wheter he does it in a palatable manner is a different discussion entirely. But it doesn't seem like Obsidian is following this at all; rather, a more tongue in cheek approach with the ocasional dabble in some extreme situations that only serve to elevate how we perceive the story and characters, not the (video)game as a medium.

Christ, I need to get laid.