Games you are looking forward to

Gorth

Looking forward to and looking forward to...

I think looking forward to more info about probably describes it better :)

Jagged Alliance 3, Disciples III, Obsidians next 2 games (AP and Aliens). Other than that, I think I am covered with all the games I can handle at the moment.

I still keep an eye on Mkreku's posts though, as he has a knack of digging up those interesting looking free roaming games.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bioware has already said that DA is DX10-only. Old news.

Not according to BioWare's Georg Zoeller, who said on 7/16/08: "I'm not saying one or the other in regards to DX API Versions, but developers usually use Windows XP because it is a stable and well tested environment at this point. That doesn't mean nobody in the building runs Vista - after all you need to support it when you ship the game.

In general terms:

At this point it would be limiting your potential audience way too much to create a DX10 only game. Look at the numbers (e.g. Valve Hardware Survey). So if you are afraid we might release a game that only runs on DX10 hardware or operating systems, you can relax now.

Whether or not the game might support DirectX 10 if present, different story, not answered today. "

And reiterated on 8/8/08: "Releasing a DirectX 10 only game (of the scope of DA is at this point not commercially viable. DirectX 10 does not have enough market penetration yet."

Edited by ~Di

FO3/SOZ now and Empire: Total War / DA / AP / Aliens in 2009? Should tide me by pretty well.

Maybe one of those games will finally be a game I can replay again and again. Surely the age of classics can come again.

Bioware has already said that DA is DX10-only. Old news.

Not according to BioWare's Georg Zoeller, who said on 7/16/08: "I'm not saying one or the other in regards to DX API Versions, but developers usually use Windows XP because it is a stable and well tested environment at this point. That doesn't mean nobody in the building runs Vista - after all you need to support it when you ship the game.

In general terms:

At this point it would be limiting your potential audience way too much to create a DX10 only game. Look at the numbers (e.g. Valve Hardware Survey). So if you are afraid we might release a game that only runs on DX10 hardware or operating systems, you can relax now.

Whether or not the game might support DirectX 10 if present, different story, not answered today. "

And reiterated on 8/8/08: "Releasing a DirectX 10 only game (of the scope of DA is at this point not commercially viable. DirectX 10 does not have enough market penetration yet."

Ah, but that's what they want you to believe. :)

20795.jpg

By the time Vista becomes a stable and viable development platform, DX11 will already be introduced. DX8 didn't last long either, because it quickly became overhauled with DX9, which lasted since 2002 or earlier. DX10 I suppose will just be as quickly obsolete once DX11 gets introduced, that hopefully will last as long as DX9. Microsoft usually introduces a new product which is crap for the first year(s), but then futhermore develops into something great. Just like XP did.

Oh and as for DA. It will be DX9 only, with DX10 support. And with support I don't mean it does actually take advantage of the newer API. It's just for compatibility once XP becomes obsolute and Vista/7 are the premier OS's.

Edit: Oh and the only game I'm aware of that is DX10 exclusive is Alan Wake. We'll see how that turns out.

Edited by Morgoth

Jagged Alliance (the original) is supposed to come out on the DS soon. I saw some screenshots and it actually looks pretty solid.

You mean like the very original Jagged Alliance 1 the first? I haven't played that in so many years, but iirc it was not that good a game. Jagged Alliance 2 blew its doors off in every possible way, except maybe for some of the mercs that got cut out.

Is it the actual identical game on the DS or has it been substantially changed?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The Culpa Innata sequel is one thing, and other than Obsidian's two games that might be it.

:x

I really loved Culpa Innata. It ranks right up there with The Longest Journey and Kings Quest 6. I love that they revealed so much of the story line yet the story is so rich and deep that theres still so many things to uncover still. One isn't just roaming and traveling back and forth doing menial tasks with no reward.

I'm looking forward to the sequel too. Not enough great adventure games out there.

Jagged Alliance (the original) is supposed to come out on the DS soon. I saw some screenshots and it actually looks pretty solid.

You mean like the very original Jagged Alliance 1 the first? I haven't played that in so many years, but iirc it was not that good a game. Jagged Alliance 2 blew its doors off in every possible way, except maybe for some of the mercs that got cut out.

I saw some screenshots, and it looks like almost a direct port of the original. You are on an island helping that woman and her father gain control for some super healing drug. The DS can't handle the complexity of JA2, so it's no surprise. I enjoyed the original, in a lot of ways it built the framework for JA2. It will be worth it to me to see the old mercs again, and the DS has proven quite capable at turn-based squad level tactical combat games.

I can't find much about it other than a Gamespot preview a few months ago.

I saw some screenshots, and it looks like almost a direct port of the original. You are on an island helping that woman and her father gain control for some super healing drug. The DS can't handle the complexity of JA2, so it's no surprise. I enjoyed the original, in a lot of ways it built the framework for JA2. It will be worth it to me to see the old mercs again, and the DS has proven quite capable at turn-based squad level tactical combat games.

I can't find much about it other than a Gamespot preview a few months ago.

It's actually a pretty interesting port. If I owned a DS I'd give it a try for sure. I don't know if I would buy a DS just for that though. Still, it's a notch in the DS belt, so to speak.

SOmebody needs to port Daggerfall and XCOM and Syndicate Wars to the DS. Then I'd buy it for sure.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If you do ever get a DS, you'll want to grab Advance Wars. Given your favorites, I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Advance Wars and Puzzle Quest have made owning a DS worth it. Plus, I can use it to entertain my daughter in a pinch with the mini-games that are touch activated.

DS probably has more turn-based games coming out for it than all other systems - consoles and PC - combined in the last few years. I may or may not be exaggerating, haven't actually added them up. Maybe not if you include PC wargames, which no one here plays but a select few like alanschu.

If Bethesda wanted to hook back the old Fallout fanbase, they'd port 1/2 to DS.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm really looking forward to the english release of Drakensang at this point, there's a ton of press coming out of German and some of you might have actually played it in that version. It seems like they are updating it well into english and the premise of a classic fantasy RPG is interesting, because a lot of RPGs recently have been straying away from that territory.

Plus the incredible press is a great sign that it's a quality game.

Edited by wesley2

• 3 weeks later...

articlepage1606446.jpg

Iron Lore, the company that made the Titan Quest series, folded in Feb 08. They were working on a game called Black Legion. Former Iron Lore employees created Crate Entertainment, bought the rights to Black Legion, and have recently sent out demos to several publishers.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.