So are you going to buy Mass Effect PC ?

Will you buy it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Mass Effect PC

• Yes, Ill probably get it
    • Yes, Ill get it even though Ive already got it for the 360
    • No, Im not interested
    • No, Ive already got the 360 version
    • No, my PC isnt good enough
    • No, I cant afford it
    • No, I will download a pirated copy for free

I just wanted to announce that BioWare and EA's copy protection scheme has ALREADY failed. A fully-functional, cracked, pirated release has been in circulation for several hours already.

There's a crack, anyway. I don't know about fully-functional though. Or rather I do know it's far from, unless you count no quick saves and no galaxy map as fully functional.

I just checked and there are already several different releases available for download from the major torrent sites. EA might aswell have taken the money they spent on that DRM and flushed it down the toilet for all the good itll do em.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just checked and there are already several different releases available for download from the major torrent sites. EA might aswell have taken the money they spent on that DRM and flushed it down the toilet for all the good itll do em.

not to mention all the lost buyers

IB1OsQq.png

Cool. Serves them right for using that lame copy protection bull****.

Exactly. Hopefully they will see how crappy the system really is and abandon it. :biggrin:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

"Cool. Serves them right for using that lame copy protection bull****. Nothing but a waste of their money and the buyers patience."

So.. someone does something that you disapprove even though they have every moral and legal right to do it.. it' sokay to steal from them? L0L Pirayc is theft. Theft is immoral, and wrong. It's garbage to support it even side remotely.

If you dislike EA and subsequently BIo's pratcice then her'es a thought - don't buy the game; but don't play it either because that's pathetically hypocritcal since you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Boo!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow, I can understand being frustrated by DRM choices, but full on support of the pirates that make the whole situation happen seems a bit much.

I never said I supported people pirating the game, did I? I simply expressed joy upon learning that the copy protection scam had been bypassed at an extremely early date - something that, hopefully, will help show how idiotic the entire premise was and is. :)

Theft is immoral, and wrong.

But cracking the game does not equal stealing it - and that is what I was celebrating. ;)

Edit: For the record, I, or a friend, have cracked -or otherwise disabled the CD/DVD-check- about half, if not more, of the games I own so I/we do not have to constantly switch discs (yes, these are all legal copies). Cracking a game does not mean you are going to make it into warez, even if some do end up in that state.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So.. someone does something that you disapprove even though they have every moral and legal right to do it.. it' sokay to steal from them? L0L Pirayc is theft. Theft is immoral, and wrong. It's garbage to support it even side remotely.

Even though I disagree with gabs 99,9...% of the time, she's not supporting "pirayc" in her post. You are making assumptions based on... what do you usually call it... ah yes. A "mythical myth, r00fles!"

So, yeah. Stealing is wrong and all. But being glad that a POS DRM scheme that cost EA the big bucks was destroyed within days of release seems fairly legit to me. Breaking the DRM does not imply stealing.

How can this be, Magical Volo? ;)

"Cool. Serves them right for using that lame copy protection bull****. Nothing but a waste of their money and the buyers patience."

If you dislike EA and subsequently BIo's pratcice then her'es a thought - don't buy the game; but don't play it either because that's pathetically hypocritcal since you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Boo!

R00fles! No double r00fles 4u. Pot meet kettle. ;)

And no, I won't be buying the game.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I voted no sale. If they're still behaving like the Chinese government when it comes time to release Dragon Age, I'll have to pass on that game as well. It's getting ridiculous.

Jay's post makes me think someone in upper management has been handing out frontal lobotomies. Sorry Jay, but I don't lose discs. That's a lame excuse to slap us with online activation, especially online activation that must be done every time the game is installed, for a limited number of times. Thankfully there are plenty of games out there that don't have this crap in them. Of course that'll change once EA buys everyone out.

Well Bioware, it was nice knowing you. I don't recognize the current outfit carrying your name. It's like you've become Candlekeep in Chapter 6 of your own Baldur's Gate: a bunch of doppelgangers.

I'm posting the rant here because the ME forums are being heavily edited and controlled by Bioware's militant moderators. Sorry folks, no criticisms here! Now everyone sing along with Barney...

It's a shame too because I generally like Bioware's games. Heck, I have most of them. This new trend is unfortunate.

Yeah, there are several releases (two to be specific). Doesn't change the fact that they don't work. Read the comments.

Mass Effect does run the risk of getting a similar bad rep as Titan Quest did though. The error doesn't show right away apparently. But anyone talking about buggy galaxy map and non-working save features is most likely playing a cracked version. So hopefully those complaints will be kept on the down-low.

BioWare are somewhat protected from an onslaught of angry users using a buggy pirated release, since you need to actually own the game to post in their support forums. But I dont think there is any chance of ME PC going the same way as TitanQuest, as the cash is already in the bank from the 360 sales.

But there is no doubt that the DRM and the bug-rumours comming from the pirated versions will scare alot of potential customers off.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

BioWare are somewhat protected from an onslaught of angry users using a buggy pirated release, since you need to actually own the game to post in their support forums. But I dont think there is any chance of ME PC going the same way as TitanQuest, as the cash is already in the bank from the 360 sales.

But there is no doubt that the DRM and the bug-rumours comming from the pirated versions will scare alot of potential customers off.

the game 'darkstar1' between others also had 'buildin bugs' for the crackers, but in less than 2 months they released a version that solved it. There is no way a developer can defeat the torrenters and such, only way would be to solve this: inbuilt chips into the PC

when i hunted for torrent sites i realized how nonsense my job is, that is one of the causes why i left it.

It was like trying to drink the ocean, or trying to reach the moon, with juming.

i hope bioware releases an un-drm version later, atleast till then, i myself spared the cash for the pc upgrade :o

would be nice doh to know if any graphs will be or not modified for ME2, so i could buy the things for the pc accoringly...

IB1OsQq.png

I'm posting the rant here because the ME forums are being heavily edited and controlled by Bioware's militant moderators.

I agree - any dissension about the data rights scam is likely to be edited, removed, or locked. :o

-Hurlshot

Well, I just ordered the game. (Amazon US already has it $10 off the box price!) If my past experience with their cheap-o shipping option is any guide, it'll be here around Thursdayish.

I honestly don't give a **** about the DRM stuff. Is it a waste of publisher resources? Probably, but that's certainly no reason to celebrate the fact that people are currently successfully stealing the product. And absent very unlikely circumstances, it's tough for me to see how the DRM would affect my experience with the game in the slightest. I very rarely re-install games that I've decided I'm done with, and I don't think I've ever done so more than twice (maybe back in the early-'90s when I was squeezing games on the 40MB HD on my family's 286, but certainly not with a modern machine).

Edited by Enoch

I very rarely re-install games that I've decided I'm done with, and I don't think I've ever done so more than twice

good for you, me and others tend to not just reinstall the game now and then (again and again) but also format the drivers once per two months (atleast i do that), and there is always the possibility that the PC/hard-drive breaks... there goes all your 'reinstallation tickets' (or what the .... is it called)

also this drm is atleast not starforce, even more people would freak out then

IB1OsQq.png

Well, I just ordered the game. (Amazon US already has it $10 off the box price!) If my past experience with their cheap-o shipping option is any guide, it'll be here around Thursdayish.

I honestly don't give a **** about the DRM stuff. Is it a waste of publisher resources? Probably, but that's certainly no reason to celebrate the fact that people are currently successfully stealing the product. And absent very unlikely circumstances, it's tough for me to see how the DRM would affect my experience with the game in the slightest. I very rarely re-install games that I've decided I'm done with, and I don't think I've ever done so more than twice (maybe back in the early-'90s when I was squeezing games on the 40MB HD on my family's 286, but certainly not with a modern machine).

This speaks for itself

I bought the game yesterday, and was unable to play it due to DRM issues. I posted about that on the official Bioware forums, and got a chorus of people having exactly the same problem (namely, that Mass Effect didn't believe we had internet and wouldn't let us start the game). I eventually figured out one way to solve the issue, which worked for me and a couple of others, and someone else found another approach, which worked for some of the rest. But there are still people posting in the thread who can't get the game they paid for working. And the only post from anyone at all affiliated with Bioware offered advice already available in the FAQ, and which my OP specifically stated had already been tried without effect.

I also submitted an official support request at the EA website, and should therefore have received a response within 24 hours . . . which never happened.

So why shouldn't people download the crack? I paid $50 for the game and then wasted five or six frustrating hours trying to get it to work. My problem was never officially acknowledged, and I never received an explanation, a solution, or an apology. If I hadn't managed to fix my issue -- I should say Bioware's issue -- on my own, you had damn well better believe I would be downloading that crack right now and not feeling the smallest iota of guilt.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

@ Jorian,

Fair enough. Were I in your position, I'd probably be a bit peeved, and I'd probably hold off on buying until there was some consensus in the community as to how EA customer support was handling requests for additional re-authorizations.

@ Xard,

Well, that's really an argument against poorly written DRM programs, not the choice to use an online-activated DRM scheme in general. As with any other part of the program, yes, I'd be angry if lousy coding/testing is preventing me from enjoying the product. We shall see, I suppose-- if I have a similar issue, I might well have a change of heart.

Ultimately, though, I still suspect that DRM issues get a lot more whining than they deserve. It's certainly less onerous to the player than, say, the way games used to quiz you on "what's the 3rd word of paragraph 2 on p. 17 of the game manual" every damn time you started them up.

Edited by Enoch

It's certainly less onerous to the player than, say, the way games used to quiz you on "what's the 3rd word of paragraph 2 on p. 17 of the game manual" every damn time you started them up.

I disagree, limiting the number of installations is infinitely more problematic. ;(

-Hurlshot