~$5000 and climbing

printing, binding, and publishing dissertation:

$600

walking across the stage being called Doctor for the first time:

priceless

drtaks

comrade taks... just because.

congrats taks :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

You are now a licensed snob, congratulations.

as if i needed to be any more arrogant than i already am. :)

By the way, dissertation in one month, not too shabby.

wrote it that quick, yes. i spend over a year working on it, however. some of the writeup was left over from my comprehensive last april, but i had to retool that pretty significantly anyway. i can write, if nothing else, very quickly. too bad i can't do creative writing stuff... it's all technical.

drtaks

drtaks

There are things money can't buy :)

...for everything else, there is mastercard ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just poured a highball full of Knob Creek with two ice cubes and a splash of 7up. I propose a toast to Dr. Taks. Heres to you and all the holes in your stomach! :huh:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Congrats.

Thesis Topic?

Now the staff members will treat you like a human for a little while.

PostDoc?

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Mnyaaaah... what's up, Doc?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Congrats.

Thesis Topic?

Now the staff members will treat you like a human for a little while.

PostDoc?

no post doc work other than a paper my advisor and i have planned. i'm apparently the de-facto comm-lab instructor now, so i get to teach a 1 credit hour class once per year. i'd like to pick up the actual comm class as well, but they have the new assoc. professor teaching that.

my dissertation was a DS-CDMA receiver. i had an adaptive channel estimator and an adaptive symbol detector combined. DS-CDMA is what most US cellular phones use.

taks

Congrats taks. :) Just upload it directly from the CD, I guess?

the insert image link wants a URL and does not provide any "browse" option to pick up a local file.

taks

5 year education towards Ph.D.:

~$25,000

medical bills resulting from writing a dissertation in under 1 month:

~$5000 and climbing

printing, binding, and publishing dissertation:

$600

walking across the stage being called Doctor for the first time:

priceless

drtaks

Dissertation huh, tell me more, length, topic, content, findings blah blah you get the point...

BTW, Congrats DrTaks... Some mod should change your sn for you i r be reckoning

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Congratulations!

PhD_hood_rearview.jpg

You're now fully entitled to wear silly clothes :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

the insert image link wants a URL and does not provide any "browse" option to pick up a local file.

Go to Add Reply (not Fast), then on the bottom right, use the Upload menu to upload the said file, then insert it into the post. Or I must be misunderstanding a lot of things here. :/

ah, i'll give that a try when i get home, tigranes. that's about what my hood and gown looked like meshugger, but the gown had black velvet stripes, not blue. i got to keep the hood (which they pinned on during the ceremony) and mortarboard/tassle. the gown was a rental.

115 pages total, including all fluff such as title, lists of tables and figures, copyright page, etc. the actual meat of the writeup describing what i did was probably 30-40 pages with another 30-40 explaining all the simulations. if i had another 6 months, it would have been 200 pages or so since there were a lot of things i wanted to show that i did not have time for.

basically, my idea was a means for estimating multipath (aka channel estimation) coupled with a means for adaptively detecting symbols (not unlike an equalizer) in the presence of multiple access interference (multiple cell phones talking to the same base station, for example).

taks