Xbox Voice Headset won't work!

Alas, Deadly_Nightshade cannot help me here.

Original Xbox/Official Microsoft Headset (was new)

I can hear out of it but the voice doesn't work. icon2.gif When on, the volume symbol flashes erratically, and when I record, all I get is static on playback. I see virtually no troubleshooting possibility (we're talking about Xbox here) but I'd like to know what could be causing this. I did try turning the console off and tried different controllers, including a Microsoft S. What could it be? Interference? The fact my Xbox "took a bump" when it fell on the floor? ( =] ) Well if there is a way to fix this I'd be appreciative. :)

ADDED: On the note of interference I have a DVR nearby...

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

I dont have an Xbox so Im shooting from the hip here but dont you need to press some button to make the microphone work? Meaning, its not always "on" but must be activated when you want to talk.

That button would be the mute button. As much as I wish I was just an idiot, I'm afraid thats not the problem. :)

icon2.gif When on, the volume symbol flashes erratically, and when I record, all I get is static on playback.

This is what happens when it is on. ^ Only difference for when muted is that the flashing stops, and I still cannot talk (even if it was working properly I couldn't =])

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

If you dropped your Xbox, it could have damaged something inside. I doubt there is an easy fix. You might want to try your headset on something else, if you can, because if it is new then that might not be the culprit.

You might want to see if your current headset can be plugged into the microphone jack on your PC or laptop, as I believe it should work. If this were the case, you could figure out if your mic was bad or if the problem was with the x-box itself.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

As opposed to turning off your console, try logging in and out of XBL a few times. That cleared up my mike problem last night. If that doesn't work, try soaking your headset in peanut butter for a few hours. It works on scratched disks and by jebus it'll work on your headset.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Alas, Deadly_Nightshade cannot help me here.

Original Xbox/Official Microsoft Headset (was new)

I can hear out of it but the voice doesn't work. icon2.gif When on, the volume symbol flashes erratically, and when I record, all I get is static on playback. I see virtually no troubleshooting possibility (we're talking about Xbox here) but I'd like to know what could be causing this. I did try turning the console off and tried different controllers, including a Microsoft S. What could it be? Interference? The fact my Xbox "took a bump" when it fell on the floor? ( :shrugz: ) Well if there is a way to fix this I'd be appreciative. :lol:

ADDED: On the note of interference I have a DVR nearby..

You might have to edit your parental settings. I'm pretty sure there is an option that allows parents to block voice communication with other players.

No it works. It just doesn't. Its nothing like that. A hardware problem likely. I haven't gotten the chance to test it on my PC, but I'll probably just be getting it replaced; I'll be mailing the faulty one out today.

Twitter | @Insevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And yet, the world somehow keeps on turning...

Sorry for my dramatic response. I could have been far more subtle by launching a nuclear terrorist attack on New York instead. I'll try not to post in my thread in the future, fair enough? :closed:

Now... the headset. I've gotten a new one that works with the exception that my controller "disconnects" frequently. I press "A" and it works again. Happens once every 10 minutes, approximately. I think its with the Xbox... Oh well. :unsure:

Twitter | @Insevin