Ex-Cop gets Jail Time

Sand

19 members have voted

1. 1. Too Tough, Too Lenient, or Just Right

• Too Tough
    • Too Lenient
    • Just Right

I agree with Sand. With great power comes great responsibility.

I agree with you, not Sand. he'd like to see tough sentencing for people who yawn without putting their hand in front of their mouths.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I agree with you, not Sand. he'd like to see tough sentencing for people who yawn without putting their hand in front of their mouths.

I agree with Uncle Ben.

Anyway, it's unlawful to apply different penalties to different people given equal offenses. There are aggravating circumstances, but that's about as far as law can go, without risking arbitrary application.

Don't exaggerate, Walsh. I just believe in right and harsh punishment for those who break the law.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Don't exaggerate, Walsh. I just believe in right and harsh punishment for those who break the law.

I exaggerate, but not nearly so far as all that. :bat:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Anyway, it's unlawful to apply different penalties to different people given equal offenses. There are aggravating circumstances, but that's about as far as law can go, without risking arbitrary application.

I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but I am pretty sure that in Denmark you get "extra time" for abusing positions of trust. I.e. school teachers abusing children entrusted in their care etc.

It might be similar to the aggravating circumstances you are referring to.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm actually having a hard time deciding. It would be a bit easier if there was more detailed information on these home invasion and how guns were involved. I'm thinking 15-35 years would be more appropriate.

According to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder#Countr...ific_murder_law

wikipedia article, the average sentence for murder in the U.S. is 29-40 years. It seems a bit ridiculous for this guy's, ex-cop or not, sentence to excede 40 years.

GDM, I respect your appeal for more info, but isn't it bonkers to expect to draw a realistic conclusion after at most 30 minutes of review, when a jury will be on the case for weeks? A fried pointed this paradox out to me, btw.

-Elwood Blues