Mirror's Edge

Spider

So I saw the first trailer for this game today. And it completely blew me away. I can't stop watching it. It's been a long time since I've been this impressed by a game trailer. Well Assassin's Creed also had fantastic trailers, but beyond that...

The trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html

(HD version, because that's how it deserves to be watched, but there are normal versions for those who want them linked from that page)

I just hope this game will deliver on what this trailer promises.

(I feel like such a fan boy right now, but I can't help myself)

I'm really hoping they can make this work.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've seen stuff about this game and if the promises hold up then it's a must play for me.

I don't know...It surely looks "sporty", but I can't myself seeing to be motivated very long by jumping and climbing around...That sort of thing gets old really fast. I guess we have to wait and see how well the rest of the gameplay and story (!) turns out.

You've never had a dream about delivering illegal packages by jumping from rooftop to rooftop all the while looking cool?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The question is how they'll implement the controls. They'll have to run the fine line between controls so hard only ninjas can master, and controls so easy, that all you need is move forward, while the game does all the work for you.

Heja Sverige!!

I'm still not sold on the style of the setting though. Jumping around on these monotonic blocks and kicking some random police forces into the face isn't really that cool. Thinking of it, they should have made a humorous Kill Bill style action game with that sort of body control.

I'm still not sold on the style of setting of Diablo 2, I mean all you're doing is fighting monotonic creatures and that isn't really that cool. You guys need to realize that the power of viscerailty is quite strong.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I, on the other hand, is completely sold on the setting. I thought the clean cityscape was just beautiful. I thought the cleaness of it all was really refreshing, and a nice backdrop to all the crazy acrobatics.

And I'm also sold on the theme of the game (a city where people like to live and are happy, they just had to give up some freedom in order to live there. The game is about a person, or a group of people, who didn't)

I'll probably get the game when it come out on the PC, it looks good enough - although I will have to wait and see what data rights management scam scheme they are using.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 1 month later...

Info I filched from TTLG:

There's a rather informative Mirror's Edge preview over at the Finnish Peliplaneetta website. The game was presented to the press by DICE's S

Heja Sverige!!

After reading the article, this game sounds actually interesting.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

great trailer.

my only question is the GUI: all that running & jumping looks cool, but it could end up maddingly infuriating if the nuts & bolts of jumping blow monkey chunks.

dumber than a bag of hammers

I wonder if this is an action game or a sports simulation. Either way, I hope there's more to the gameplay than just running and jumping and kicking people into the face. I want to shoot guns as well.

You can shoot guns apparently, just not all the time, and carrying a weapon will hamper the running and jumping.

Heja Sverige!!

Do you guys like the art direction in that trailer? I think it looks horrible! Everything is white, red or blue. Since when do we build an entire society utilizing only three colours? I don't know, it just looks bad to me. Off-puttingly bad.

I think the gameplay looks a lot nicer than the art, that's for sure.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Do you guys like the art direction in that trailer? I think it looks horrible! Everything is white, red or blue. Since when do we build an entire society utilizing only three colours?

*shrug* looks fine to me.

i agree it doesn't look much like a real city in terms of colours but, really, who cares? they seem to be going for hyper-real rather than gritty realism.

and, hey, it could be worse, it could be flat-out speed racer cartoon-anime bubbly art direction, the kind that gives you ADD.

dumber than a bag of hammers