What kind of character should I make?

Hi everyone,

I just started playing Kotor II and I was wondering what my character should look like. I have a couple of considerations to take into account in order to create my character:

1) Should I pick a male or female character? Is Disciple more interesting and easy to influence than Handmaiden? Or is it vice versa? Do you get to romance Atton as well if you pick a female jedi?

2) What jedi class should I pick? I would like to have a general balance within my party where each core jedi class will be represented. My main worry is that some of your party members might betray you and that you may lose one useful jedi and thus break the balance I mentioned. For example, I think that Kreia betrays you at some point. If you play a non-jedi consular male character, she will be the only consular in the party. If you lose her, no one else is going to cover her position and I don't want such thing to happen.

Can someone give me some advice please? I don't mind reading spoilers.

Thanks in advance!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

1) Without ANY doubt choose male. Handmaiden is absolutely great character and one of my all time favourites. Discipline oon the other hand is horrible and bland. You can, uhh, "romance" Atton as female jedi but with all the cut content and all that jazz... besides, it's not like you would find romances like in Kotor 1 anyway

2) Game is very easy, you don't have to worry about anything like that :lol: Just pick whatever you want, I prefer sentinels for all the skillpoints but it reall doesn't matter

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

While I have to agree that Disciple sucks, that doesn't mean you shouldn't play female. I personally feel the whole story works better that way... I found it much less intriguing on my male playthroughs.

That being said... there is no way you can experience everything in this game on one play through... so... pick whatever looks most interesting and then be sure to play again with other options.

Being a female guardian, I think you get extra dialogue options with Kavar, but other than that I don't think it much matters what class you pick... like Xard says, the game is easy.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Guest The Architect

I'd just set your beginning stats to strength as 8 and 14 for everything else. Strength is overrated. You'll have stimulants and equipment to boost that and even then you'll still more than likely mop the floor with your enemies. Focus on increasing intelligence {you I mean, not your character :lol:} so you can be uber leet at building useful equipment, wisdom so you can be a super saiyan with the force, and charisma because it reduces the cost of force points needed for using powers opposing your alignment and it's always good to have good persuasion/force persuasion points. Besides emphasis on these skills will enable you to unlock more dialogue options. Not many, but still, more is better.

While I have to agree that Disciple sucks, that doesn't mean you shouldn't play female. I personally feel the whole story works better that way... I found it much less intriguing on my male playthroughs.

That being said... there is no way you can experience everything in this game on one play through... so... pick whatever looks most interesting and then be sure to play again with other options.

Being a female guardian, I think you get extra dialogue options with Kavar, but other than that I don't think it much matters what class you pick... like Xard says, the game is easy.

Well, you're in minority in that one. :lol: I too think story works much better for male characters. The whole Atris thing was HUGE part of plot and made much more sense with male than with female. "Sion's love" thing was very minor part of the story. And it's not like there was romance of any kind between Kavar and Exile if latter was female, it was the same padawan/master relationship :)

I too however think you should play as female at least once. But male "version" is better and one you should go for initially IMO just for Handmaiden's sake

I wouldn't put strenght to 8 however. But yeah, INT is important skill

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I am afraid I won't have the luxury (nor the patience) to get two playthroughs. That is why I want to get the most out of my first playthrough.

Note that I am just planning my character so far. I intend to really play the game when The TSLRP will get released (during Christmas hopefully). If all goes well, all the Atton cut-scenes will be restored and playing a female char will get more interesting.

Concerning my character's class, just call it an aesthetic choice. I really want to have this balance in my party. Which party members will betray you? That question is quite crucial to me so that I may choose my class accordingly to what happens.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

According to this poll http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=49615 most of us prefer to play female exile... :lol:

And yes, you lose the whole Atris / Handmaiden thing, but honestly, I didn't find that compelling at all. I didn't like the Handmaiden or Atris... bleh. Visas is bland as can be and Mira turns you down flat.

I think if you're a guardian the dialogue between Kavar and the Exile is *very* interesting and has a lot of implications if you're female... at least I'm assuming that it's being a guardian that triggers it, since I didn't get it my last playthrough... which surprised me. And while Sion's love was minor, it has fascinating implications...

The two main bosses were only defeated because of their love for her? Love that was mostly precipitated by her ability to form force bonds and draw people to herself? How incredibly powerful are you if you have managed to form a force bond with a badass like Sion in a matter of 2 minor interactions?

Anyhow... spoilers...

Kreia does wind up leaving your party at the end... but you play through most of the end game with a set party. On the Ravager you have to take Mandalore and Visas and on Malachor you're by yourself. I think, though, that TSLRP will make it so you can take party members with you onto Malachor... I think.

Kreia won't go with you on Korriban and Atton won't go with you on your first visit to Onderon/Dxun. I think that's all the party limitations though.

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I am afraid I won't have the luxury (nor the patience) to get two playthroughs. That is why I want to get the most out of my first playthrough.

Note that I am just planning my character so far. I intend to really play the game when The TSLRP will get released (during Christmas hopefully). If all goes well, all the Atton cut-scenes will be restored and playing a female char will get more interesting.

Concerning my character's class, just call it an aesthetic choice. I really want to have this balance in my party. Which party members will betray you? That question is quite crucial to me so that I may choose my class accordingly to what happens.

You've been waiting for TSLRP to play KotOR 2?

Twitter | @Insevin

You've been waiting for TSLRP to play KotOR 2?

Not really.

I got a new pc last september and I have been playing all those games that have been sitting on my shelves for years (because I couldn't play them before). I first played Kotor 1 and Jade Empire and completed them both. I was hoping that TSLRP would be finished by the time I completed those games but It was a false hope. I might buy The Witcher Enhanced Edition to kill time.

I won't buy NWW2 till the second XP gets released and gets sold in a nice package along with the OC and XP1. I know, I might wait for a couple of years but I don't care).

BTW, what's the max level you have reached in KOTOR II? 25-30?

1) Should I pick a male or female character? Is Disciple more interesting and easy to influence than Handmaiden? Or is it vice versa? Do you get to romance Atton as well if you pick a female jedi?

It's very much a matter of taste, though most people seem to think the male Exile has more or at least better developed romance options than the female exile. Then again, the female exile is canon, if that matters to you... Personally I like the male exile better (and I have completed the game with the female exile) because I feel the plot hangs together better for the male exile. Still, most of us seem to prefer the exile as whatever gender we are ourselves, so I should probably just recommend that.

2) What jedi class should I pick? I would like to have a general balance within my party where each core jedi class will be represented.

First of all, don't worry about balancing the jedi classes. The game is easy enough that you don't need them anyway, even if you set it to the highest difficulty, and... well... without giving anything away, it's possible to have a significant number of jedi in your party. Even if one turns on you, this will not cause problems. So feel free to choose whatever jedi class you like.

Of course, you might then consider what combinations are the most powerful. TSL has prestige classes, which means you can choose a "super class" later in the game if you're strongly LS or DS.

If you've played KotOR1, you'll probably have a preference in classes. You used to play scout/jedi guardian in K1, because I needed the scout's skills to be able to repair HK-47 and a few other things while need the guardian's combat ability. In TSL, however, you're always a jedi, and every class uses the same to-hit progression. But since skills are by far - and I do mean far - more important in TSL, I most definitely prefer the sentinel over the consular or guardian. If you begin with INT 14 and build it to 16 or above, you can have every single skill above 20 toward the end of the game, which is most definitely highly useful. For the prestige class, I prefer (if LS) the jedi master (sith lord if DS), because the special abilities are greater number of force powers seem better than then combat ability of the jedi weaponmaster (sith marauder if DS) or the skills and stealth ability of the jedi watchman (sith assassin if DS). That's entirely down to personal taste and min-maxing, though - no class or combination is "wrong" or unplayable.

For skills, I recommend Demolition early in the game. It'll be useful to collect mines on Peragus, earning you some nifty xp. If you go with the sentinel, it won't be a class skill, so I'd recommend not putting points in it during character creation, but using your initial feat to make it class skill and then use all the skill points you get to up it on reaching level 2. Make Repair a class skill when you get another feat at level 3, so all skills are easy to build - you'll need it to repair your droids later in the game. But like I said, no skills are unimportant. Stealth and Treat Injury may not seem so important, and aren't early in the game, but all the others have significance early on, though mostly Demolitions, Persuade and - to a lesser degree - Computer Use, Awareness and Security (to open doors).

Just for your information, I played a scout/jedi consular (5/15) in Kotor 1. She was dual-weilding and that combination worked very well.

The truth is that I do prefer to play female characters since NWN1 as the female models are more beautiful than the male models. This applies to NWN1, Kotor1 and jade empire. It will probably also apply to NWN2. I am just wondering if the dialogs are more interesting if you play a male in Kotor 2. I wish someone made a mod that made your female char be treated as a male char.

Another question, when your companions become jedis, do they lose all their special abilities affiliated to their previous classes (ie: sneak attack)?

Honestly, I've never gotten off Peragus as a guy so I can't really tell you how the game is that way. I always play as a female and honestly, I think its better that way. While Disciple is a rather bland character, its always fun to watch Atton get jealous of him! The whole Atris thing might work better as a man, but its still fine as a female. When I met Mastar Kavar, I got the feeling that there may have been an attraction there in the past, and I'm not the only one! Lots of people feel that way! I'm going to agree with some of the other repliers though,and say that this game should be played through more than once!Just pick whatever you want, you can always go back and play it again! :thumbsup:

This is one of the few games I almost require that you play through as either gender. Disciple adds something to the main plot. And Handmaiden is interesting in her ties to Atris. I highly suggest playing both. :thumbsup:

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

Just modify your game, or install the preexisting modification, so you get the Handmaiden while you are a female - it's not that complicated. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

This is one of the few games I almost require that you play through as either gender. Disciple adds something to the main plot. And Handmaiden is interesting in her ties to Atris. I highly suggest playing both. ;(

Oh well, I guess you have just convinced me to play the game twice... :)

Oh well, I guess you have just convinced me to play the game twice... ;(

:o That came out worded wrongly, almost demanding you play both genders. That was not my intention. :blush10: It was supposed to say "This is one of the few games almost require that you play through as either gender". I have no idea how that 'I' got in there.

But I'm glad you decided to play both anyway. :)

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

I would say you're almost required to play it 'three' times. Once with Handmaiden for the Atris info, once with Mikal to see what the Sith agenda is, and a third time Dark Side so you can fill in the pieces with any influence dialogs that are difficult to trigger from the light side.

I would say you're almost required to play it 'three' times. Once with Handmaiden for the Atris info, once with Mikal to see what the Sith agenda is, and a third time Dark Side so you can fill in the pieces with any influence dialogs that are difficult to trigger from the light side.

Actually, you can lose enough influence with people while LS to still get their info, with the exception of Kreia, but even then you can get full influence with her if you know what you're doing. :*

This is how I got HK to blab about Malachor V, because I'm a DSW and won't play DS.

:x

Edited by Mellypie

Actually, you can lose enough influence with people while LS to still get their info, with the exception of Kreia, but even then you can get full influence with her if you know what you're doing. :*

This is how I got HK to blab about Malachor V, because I'm a DSW and won't play DS.

:x

True, you can do it that way. But losing influence to get the dialogs is trickier, and probably won't be done by a player either of the first two times through, since you're going to be focusing on the players you can easily extract info and influence from those times. So maximizing the influence loss is something you're 'still' likely to not do until your third time through. And going DS is a better way, IMHO. If just for the added benefit of seeing the DS Kreia lines. And it doesn't hurt that you can be something other than a simple thug in K2 and be DS.

Honestly, I've never gotten off Peragus as a guy so I can't really tell you how the game is that way. I always play as a female and honestly, I think its better that way.

:ermm:

:o

Twitter | @Insevin

Honestly, I've never gotten off Peragus as a guy so I can't really tell you how the game is that way. I always play as a female and honestly, I think its better that way.

:)

I had the same exact expression. :thumbsup: