Bioware sold out

I don't like it when my computer hooks up totheinternet and starts sending information to other computers without my direct control. I just won't get games with this style of copy protection. If this is the way PC gaming is going, I will stick to console.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And it always has to be discussed in context. Putting cameras in a bank to watch me while I bank is OK with me. Or at least I understand why that might be done and that given our society I have to tolerate it. If somebody wants to put that exact same camera in my bathroom to watch me poop, I'm going to have a different reaction.

But you signed the poop waiver! Fine, I'll disable the webcam.

I don't like it when my computer hooks up totheinternet and starts sending information to other computers without my direct control. I just won't get games with this style of copy protection. If this is the way PC gaming is going, I will stick to console.

otoh, drm is more likely become even more invasive and pervasive on all platforms rather than less. I think it umlkely one will be able to avoid it simply by sticking to a particular platform.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What then when this new SecuROM protection is cracked(like it will be)? Constant internet connection? Sending your picture? ID? Only one activation? Those might sound ridiculous, but my point is that this is step to the wrong direction and who knows what happen next when higher-ups realise it isn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

And it always has to be discussed in context. Putting cameras in a bank to watch me while I bank is OK with me. Or at least I understand why that might be done and that given our society I have to tolerate it. If somebody wants to put that exact same camera in my bathroom to watch me poop, I'm going to have a different reaction.

But you signed the poop waiver! Fine, I'll disable the webcam.

My poop and what I do with it is private. >_<

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

otoh, drm is more likely become even more invasive and pervasive on all platforms rather than less. I think it umlkely one will be able to avoid it simply by sticking to a particular platform.

Yes, but I don't have PDF files, Officie files, media files, website addresses I frequent, and so forth stored on my console. If this software can determine my system configuration who knows what other information they may recieve off my PC.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Bioware backs down!

http://kotaku.com/5008452/bioware-backs-do...-authentication

I'm back on the "getting Mass Effect PC" bandwagon. Good thing, too, I spending $1k+ on a new compy.

It sounds like it might be using the same method as Bioshock used. Which... actually doesn't seem to address all of my previous concerns or even the key one among them. If the authentication is disabled, you may not even be able to install. Though, if it's limited to first-run, you might be able to patch. But circumvention is DMCA violation. So, does my concern still stand? Should I jump right back off the wagon? Ouch, my brain thing hurt.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ever been kicked in the face?

Well, now that they have relented, even if its just part way, one almost has to buy the game to prove to EA and other publishers that it was teh right thing to do.

I'm already firmly entrenched in online authentication that it would be hypocritical to avoid this instance on principle. In fact, the every 10 day activation isn't even that draconian an addition by my prior reasoning so much as a nonsensical addition.

Well, line in the sand. I'll take it at that. <_ for now>_>

Well, line in the sand. I'll take it at that. <_< for now >_>

Stop marking lines on meeeeeeeeeee!

*runs and hides*

That joke was so funny I took you off ignore.

That joke was so funny I took you off ignore.

YAY ME! :no:

What Bioware changed is a step in the right direction but a I'm still leery when information from my comptuer is getting sent elsewhere without my express permission and not knowing exactly what information is being sent.

Humm... The new plan is slightly better, but I am not sure if it is good enough. The fact that you only have three installations is the main issue that I have - I already have two PCs that I would install it on and a third will, hopefully, be built/bought within the year, that's all of the activations gone within the first year not counting re-formats and other things like that. :'(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Agreed.

its a matter of give and take. Just the fact that they (whether Bioware or EA) listened to people enough to make changes in the cp is meaningful enough that I kinda have to give them something in return. Given the context, I now feel obligated to buy the game. Hows that for a switecheroo? :no:

2K gave in early and upped it to 5 for Bioshock, heh. And I hear rumors they removed it from the Steam version, though I can neither confirm nor deny it.

But Bioshock did do it when I bought it. Every game I have on Steam does it, at least technically, every time I start Steam up. Though they're not overly tight with their restrictions and even have an offline mode I've barely ever used. Sam & Max episodes does it.

Is it different for me because I trust Valve and Telltale more? Probably. Valve has given me free stuff and a secret forum. Telltale employees actually took personal time to get me that Max animated gif.

When you feel obligated to give money to give money to a multi million dollar corporation is when something isn't right with the world.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

When you feel obligated to give money to give money to a multi million dollar corporation is when something isn't right with the world.

Something has long been wrong with the world. Politics have invaded way too many aspects of our world. And it's not just limited to our politicians.

Well, it is part of compromise right? In order to come to an agreement both sides have to be willing to give up some part of what they want. It would not be ethical of me to simply demand the Bioware give up everything while I give up nothing. Whether they are a giant corporation or not is irrelevant.

What can I say? I am a slave to my principles.

It would not be ethical of me to simply demand the Bioware give up everything while I give up nothing.

The question is, have they given up enough? For you, maybe they have - but the three installation limit is going to weigh heavily against them when it come to buying the game in the minds of some people, myself included. :no:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If they remove the install limit then, and only then will this deal be viable.