Thoughts on a new system?

I haven't forgotten your little story Jags! I saved it on my hard drive. :p

I'm looking at hopefully purchasing a new system in the next two weeks and I've got it pretty much nailed down as to exactly what I want, but I thought it run it by you guys first. Keep in mind that I'm only picking up the essentials right now. Things like hard drives, optical drives and a case will be re-used from my current computer, at least until I decide to replace them as well and/or can afford them.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HX

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2X2GB CL4-4-4-12

Graphics: EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT

Comments? Criticisms?

Looks ok at a glance, I'll look into the parts more when I get back tonight - unless I have something better to do involving a certain female brunette of my acquaintance, and, yes, I am talking about a human female. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I haven't had an opportunity to run anything seriously hardcore, but my new 512MB 9600GT handles Company of Heroes on maximum everything in full fight mode. I'm very glad I saved a lot compared with maybe 10% performance with the 8800.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thats a solid setup. Gigabyte has a good record for mobos. I have a evga 8800GT also. I had trouble with mine overheating, but it seems to be fixed with the newer version that you will buy. It was due to the Qimonda memory, now they use samsung.

My 8800GT runs everything smoothly now as it should.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Everything looks good, except I wouldn't buy that motherboard. It's based on the Intel P35 circuits, which is getting rather old. Also, I don't think it supports SLI or Crossfire (if you ever feel like upgrading again easily by just adding another GPU).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Everything looks good, except I wouldn't buy that motherboard. It's based on the Intel P35 circuits, which is getting rather old. Also, I don't think it supports SLI or Crossfire (if you ever feel like upgrading again easily by just adding another GPU).

What would you suggest instead?

I am aware that it is an older mobo and does not support SLI/Crossfire. Dual GPU solutions are not something that I have any interest in for the foreseeable future. As for the chipset, I know that the P35 is getting older by the second, the problem comes from the next step up.

X38/750I = double the cost

X48/780I = triple the cost

Is there really enough benefit from stepping up to that next level to warrant the increased expenditure?

(All that said, I may have to switch the motherboard anyway, because the place that I am planning on ordering has run out of stock since I posted this topic.)

mkreku, you may know the answer to this. When my graphics chip was overheating it was suggested that the motherboard was simply too feeble to take the transfer rates across it. Possible/likely? Could impact on your choice of the other stuff to stick on it.

In any event, I thought the basic rule of thumb was pick up the best motherboard you can afford?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What would you suggest instead?

I am aware that it is an older mobo and does not support SLI/Crossfire. Dual GPU solutions are not something that I have any interest in for the foreseeable future. As for the chipset, I know that the P35 is getting older by the second, the problem comes from the next step up.

X38/750I = double the cost

X48/780I = triple the cost

Is there really enough benefit from stepping up to that next level to warrant the increased expenditure?

Yes, there is a huge gap in price between the outgoing models and the new arrivals. But when I rebuild a computer, I usually start with reading up on PSU's (since those will last over several computers). After that, I go for the motherboard. I try to look ahead as much as possible, to see what's coming up in the foreseeable future and choose my motherboard after that. For example, when I bought the Abit I am using now, it was one of the very first boards with an e-SATA connection (and only one IDE port..). I also made sure that the CPU socket was something that was in the long time road plans for Intel (which I decided to go with). Needless to say, it was cutting edge at the time and cost me almost $400.. But it's still usable and the only thing it can't handle is DDR3, so I think it was worth it. I will upgrade my computer one more time before switching motherboard (faster CPU, 4GB->8GB, faster GPU).

If you're not interested in SLI/Crossfire (Don't laugh! The 48X0 series is on it's way, it might be good!), then I imagine the P35 is a good enough choice. Just make sure you get the features you think you'll need so you don't paint yourself into a corner. Asus has a few solid motherboards using the P35. This is the one I bought when I built my mom's computer last Christmas:

ASUS P5K PRO

mkreku, you may know the answer to this. When my graphics chip was overheating it was suggested that the motherboard was simply too feeble to take the transfer rates across it. Possible/likely? Could impact on your choice of the other stuff to stick on it.

No, I would say that was definitely not it. If the motherboard couldn't supply the GPU with what it needs, the computer would just crash and/or artefact your graphics. But I've read about certain Nvidia card manufacturers having heat problems because of using cheap memory modules. You don't happen to have an eVGA GPU by any chance..?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Looks like I won't be making that purchase as soon as I thought. I was just informed that I'll be paying a much larger chunk of my own tuition this year than I did last year. Seeing as that is the case I may as well wait until I have enough cash to get that better motherboard anyway.

Thanks for the help though!

Looks like I won't be making that purchase as soon as I thought. I was just informed that I'll be paying a much larger chunk of my own tuition this year than I did last year. Seeing as that is the case I may as well wait until I have enough cash to get that better motherboard anyway.

Thanks for the help though!

Boo hiss! Can't you become a pole-dancer and earn thousands a night? Judging by the TV that's what most students do.

-Elwood Blues

You had me worried there for a moment Deraldin... that would have left me with the oldest and slowest computer on these forums :ninja10:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No, I would say that was definitely not it. If the motherboard couldn't supply the GPU with what it needs, the computer would just crash and/or artefact your graphics. But I've read about certain Nvidia card manufacturers having heat problems because of using cheap memory modules. You don't happen to have an eVGA GPU by any chance..?

I have that evga overheat issue with mine. At least i did until I bought a new GPU heatsink since i couldn't return this used 8800GT. Works fine now. Pity i had to put the extra money into it. It was freezing and artifacting.

If its freezing with artifacts, memory problem.

If its freezing with no artifacts, GPU problem.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm afraid I don't have the card with me any more. I gave it to a techie friend to play with after it broke, and he probably ate it.

-Elwood Blues