Gamespot's Matthew Rorie joins Obsidian

funcroc

Hope you enjoy your new job, Mr. Rorie.

Do you have any community events planned just for the forums? People dig that stuff and often game-sites will report things like that, usually causing an influx of members for most message boards.

Also, we understand if you can't answer this, but just for curiosity's sake, since you said "other projects", could you tell us how many projects are actively in production (as in, out of the "idea phase")?

I suspect the rest of the community will agree with me when I say we look forward to interact with you on this little corner of cyberspace.

Excellent news. I look forward to reading your updates. :p

Are you sure?

All I can say is that any other projects aside from Alpha Protocol and Aliens are probably in the "years away" category at this point. Sorry! My lips are sealed.
No ETAs or anything. I think there's still a bit of time before you'll hear more about Aliens. We had a media event for AP last week, which was mostly for European print magazines, so hopefully more info on that will be out soon.
I hope you'll understand when I say that I really can't talk about it one way or another.
Obviously there's a lot of stuff that I can't talk about regarding our games (it's still weird saying "our" when it comes to Obsidian, heh), but as more information comes out hopefully I'll be able to be more forthcoming.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Welcome and congrats on becoming an Obsidianite, Matt! You made me laugh at our Obsidian Movie day, so you'll do fine here.

Oh, and play WoW on your work comp if you stay late, tis much better than a laptop. :)

Heh, I don't know. Every time I have to take a break from WoW it makes it that much more difficult to get back into it. Unfortunately now that I work at a competitor I don't know that my connect at Blizzard will be willing to hook me up with Beta access for WOTLK. :lol: Oh well, it'll be a busy summer and fall irregardless.

Matthew Rorie

Hope you enjoy your new job, Mr. Rorie.

Do you have any community events planned just for the forums? People dig that stuff and often game-sites will report things like that, usually causing an influx of members for most message boards.

Also, we understand if you can't answer this, but just for curiosity's sake, since you said "other projects", could you tell us how many projects are actively in production (as in, out of the "idea phase")?

I suspect the rest of the community will agree with me when I say we look forward to interact with you on this little corner of cyberspace.

I can't speak concretely on the idea of forum events, but Rob McGinnis and I have spoken about it. I agree that if you do something compelling that other sites (especially fan sites) will link to it, so hopefully something will happen at some point.

You guys are reading too much into the projects comment. :lol: Obviously I can't talk about anything that hasn't been announced, even in a theoretical/hypothetical sense.

Matthew Rorie

How sweet... Fresh meat... (tee hee ;))

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So can we expect any new developer blogs on this here obsidianent forums?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So can we expect any new developer blogs on this here obsidianent forums?

We shall see. I definitely want to try and get some more activity in here, but everyone's pretty busy. Change will come fairly gradually, I imagine.

Matthew Rorie

I heard Sega Gamer's Day will be on May 14. Can you tell us something about Obsidian's SGD plan or E3 plan?

I don't know what the official word is, but I know I can safely say that our plan is to be all around awesome.

Mr. Rorie will confirm.

Mr. Rorie

Damn. :(

I thought Matthew was short from Matthewina and she would be young yet buxom spanish dark haired beauty who likes games and stuff, but now you stole all that away. I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I heard Sega Gamer's Day will be on May 14. Can you tell us something about Obsidian's SGD plan or E3 plan?

I'm still getting online with the Sega people. I'm assuming all of the Gamer's Day stuff has been set up before I even came aboard. Same goes for E3; that's kind of Sega's bag, as they're the ones who are ESA members and will have a booth, etc. I'll let you know if I find out more, of course...

Matthew Rorie

Welcome! I delegate Chinese people welcome new guys join PRG world center! :)

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Nah. Chinese to English translator will sound weird.

I think he meant he is sort of an ambassador on behalf of the Chinese people in expressing their views as well as welcoming them into the world of Western RPGs.

now that's a bit egoistical don't you think

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Or, 'as the resident Chinese in these forums, welcome!'

Don't make a fight out of everything gais :ermm:

I wonder if Rorie envisions his role as a PR agent in the sense that he is the primary interface with which the rest of the world (fans, press) interacts with the company - which, in other cases, has led to the developers themselves being more removed from the fans, or their responses being mediated and filtered into more 'packaged' forms. While dev diaries/interviews are nice, for example, it can't beat informal everyday interaction. I originally framed this as a question, but I imagine that turning this thread into a never-ending cycle of questions would not be nice on poor Mr. Rorie.

Lay off, he just meant something like "You chose a great company to work for. Their games are entertaining to a lot of Chinese people even after the cultural barrier."

Edited by Krezack

Lay off, he just meant something like "You chose a great company to work for. Their games are entertaining to a lot of Chinese people even after the cultural barrier."

I blame Laozi's "translation" :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

It seems that Krezack is accustomed to unscramble my horrible English :ermm:

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget