Gas Prices?

Arkan

I walk to work and use the bus, so no. Gas prices haven't directly effected me, but it does in the end effect everyone if you drive or not. Shipping things cost money, and when shipping costs increase so does everything else.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You chaps should think about fuel made from reclaimed cooking fat. It is not only quite cheap, as deisel goes, but it also smells nice.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think that is being researched on at my local university. With all the fast food restaurants in the US it would be a good way to make use of vat waste.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

You chaps should think about fuel made from reclaimed cooking fat. It is not only quite cheap, as deisel goes, but it also smells nice.

Heard about that. Time to fuel up at the fast food restaurant, eh?

Twitter | @Insevin

It's a shame that the oil companies and the car companies really work to stifle advancement in the field of fuel efficiency and alternative energy sources.

Yep, and the government let them.

It's not too bad when I ride my motorcycles. My Triumph takes 89 octane and gets 30 mpg at worst. My Honda can take 87 octane and does a lot better. Of course, the Honda is 35 years old and doesn't exactly have great emissions. I feel it most when I drive my car: 91 octane, 20 mpg during my 11 mile commute.

A squaddie friend of mine refit his Land Rover 'Monty' to run on cooking oil. Would get it free from the local chippy then purify it, and it ran as well as it ever did.

And yeah, smelt nicer.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

A squaddie friend of mine refit his Land Rover 'Monty' to run on cooking oil. Would get it free from the local chippy then purify it, and it ran as well as it ever did.

And yeah, smelt nicer.

Certainly a good idea.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Americans are pretty much the last people on the planet who should be complaining about fuel prices.

True enough that we still generally have pretty cheap gas compared to other countries. But I think in any country, if anything has a fairly noticeable impact on your budget, where you can't easily adjust to accommodate it, you have a "right" to complain.

This kind of rapid rise in price at the pump hurts a lot of people - even in the US. :) Especially in areas - in any country - where housing/rent/insurances etc. vs. income have so many people on very tight budgets already. That said, anyone obsessed with gas-hungry vanity vehicles when they don't actually need such a vehicle (SUV's etc....)... and could afford to get a more efficient vehicle (I know many can't right away...), I don't have much sympathy.

I hate hubby's van, but he needs it for work (he moves huge loads of servers and other bulky equipment fairly often). We moved just in time - hopefully even w/the gas prices, with his reduced driving mileage, it'll be better than before, budget wise. Me, I hardly drive at all. I'd like a more efficient car (my '98 Legacy wagon only gets about 22mpg), but on average I only fill up my tank once a month or so - sometimes less. So I figure it can wait till our budget isn't so tight.

Just for fun, here's a picture of a gas station from Feb. 2, 2008. The same exact station, last time I filled up a couple weeks ago, was $4.11 for the middle unleaded fuel. 70 cents in 2.5 months. It's probably gone up a little more now, even since that last time. Heh.

driving-020308-20b.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Americans are pretty much the last people on the planet who should be complaining about fuel prices.

True enough that we still generally have pretty cheap gas compared to other countries. But I think in any country, if anything has a fairly noticeable impact on your budget, where you can't easily adjust to accommodate it, you have a "right" to complain.

This kind of rapid rise in price at the pump hurts a lot of people - even in the US. :) Especially in areas - in any country - where housing/rent/insurances etc. vs. income have so many people on very tight budgets already. That said, anyone obsessed with gas-hungry vanity vehicles when they don't actually need such a vehicle (SUV's etc....)... and could afford to get a more efficient vehicle (I know many can't right away...), I don't have much sympathy.

Fair enough. I'd probably be complaining more loudly if it affected me more. But our (subcompact) car pretty much stays in the parking garage collecting soot all week, until I need to do a grocery run or somesuch. The subway might not be the fastest way to travel (my commute is about 5 miles as the crow flies, but it takes me 30-35 minutes each way), but it does insulate me from fluctuations in global energy markets to a certain extent.

I don't really have a choice when it comes to driving and spending a lot of money on gas. I drive 40 miles to get to work every day. As a teacher, if I live where I work, I can't afford the housing prices. I teach in an urban area and live in a more rural area. The rural schools pay half as much as the urban schools. I also have family in the area, so moving to another more affordable state or area is a very tough decision.

I don't really have a choice when it comes to driving and spending a lot of money on gas. I drive 40 miles to get to work every day. As a teacher, if I live where I work, I can't afford the housing prices. I teach in an urban area and live in a more rural area. The rural schools pay half as much as the urban schools. I also have family in the area, so moving to another more affordable state or area is a very tough decision.

Sounds like what hubby was dealing with before the move. We were on the border of Morgan Hill and he had go up to Redwood City/San Carlos border 3-5 times a week, along with other far-flung Bay Area spots. It was, as they say, where the work was. It was only the recent housing crunch that let us buy and move up here, even if we did have to downsize a bit. Our families are mostly here, too. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

keep in mind that oil is a traded commodity, so its price is not directly driven by demand so much as it is driven by speculated demand. from an inflation standpoint, milk has suffered much worse over the past 30 years than oil.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

keep in mind part 2, most of these oil companies are profiting less than 10% of their total revenue. there are many sectors in which the profit margins are far higher, but they don't generate the same press because they also have lower revenues (nor do people necessarily buy such things every week or so), or less politically-situated products.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

As I live within a major city with good access to public transportation, I don't need a car. That makes it a lot easier to make ends meet, as I spend only about 30

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

This kind of rapid rise in price at the pump hurts a lot of people - even in the US. :lol: Especially in areas - in any country - where housing/rent/insurances etc. vs. income have so many people on very tight budgets already. That said, anyone obsessed with gas-hungry vanity vehicles when they don't actually need such a vehicle (SUV's etc....)... and could afford to get a more efficient vehicle (I know many can't right away...), I don't have much sympathy.

Fair enough. I'd probably be complaining more loudly if it affected me more. But our (subcompact) car pretty much stays in the parking garage collecting soot all week, until I need to do a grocery run or somesuch. The subway might not be the fastest way to travel (my commute is about 5 miles as the crow flies, but it takes me 30-35 minutes each way), but it does insulate me from fluctuations in global energy markets to a certain extent.

I know this officially makes me a communist, but why not just walk? Should only take you about an hour. Plus you'd get great exercise.

-Elwood Blues

It's not too bad when I ride my motorcycles. My Triumph takes 89 octane and gets 30 mpg at worst. My Honda can take 87 octane and does a lot better. Of course, the Honda is 35 years old and doesn't exactly have great emissions. I feel it most when I drive my car: 91 octane, 20 mpg during my 11 mile commute.

Crikey. That's going to hurt.

How do you feel about safety on a motorcycle? I have a couple of friends who own them, but they're Army majors, with all that entails.

-Elwood Blues

How do you feel about safety on a motorcycle? I have a couple of friends who own them, but they're Army majors, with all that entails.

You can be very safe on a motorcycle, as long as you don't act foolish on one. Of course, it's the other drivers you have to worry about, and there's only so much you can do about them.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You can be very safe on a motorcycle, as long as you don't act foolish on one. Of course, it's the other drivers you have to worry about, and there's only so much you can do about them.

Other drivers and pedestrians. I'm scrupulous to avoid launching out into stationary traffic, but many others do so with iPods ablaze. But then a lot of people do a lot of things without considering others.

-Elwood Blues

$3.75 a gallon here. And they wonder why we are in a recession. Who wants to go out to places like stores or whatever to spend money when it cost you a lot of money to fire up your vehicle?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.