Gas Prices?

Arkan

Anybody else think it's about time for a good ol' fashioned Tea Party? :ermm:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I can put tea in my gastank???

WOOHOO!

Seriously though, here in Montreal it's now 1.35 per litre on average and the lowest in the province is about 1.24 per litre.

Petro Canada just anounced an 82% increase in PROFITS.

The price jump used to be on fridays and through the weekends but when people complained enough they stop raising on weekend and instead switched it to wednesday until friday.

The jumps are usually from 10 to 15 cents per litre and they only drop about half that when the 3 day period is over so it's always climbing.

Even if the jumps were explained what difference would it make? I'm starving here and those oil companies are making billions a year in profits.

It's disgusting.

We need a new form of energy.

Update: Sorry. Petro Canada made 1.1 billions in PROFITS for the first trimestre of 2008, double what it was last year...

Edited by astr0creep

I can put tea in my gastank???

WOOHOO!

Seriously though, here in Montreal it's now 1.35 per litre on average and the lowest in the province is about 1.24 per litre.

Petro Canada just anounced an 82% increase in PROFITS.

The price jump used to be on fridays and through the weekends but when people complained enough they stop raising on weekend and instead switched it to wednesday until friday.

The jumps are usually from 10 to 15 cents per litre and they only drop about half that when the 3 day period is over so it's always climbing.

Even if the jumps were explained what difference would it make? I'm starving here and those oil companies are making billions a year in profits.

It's disgusting.

We need a new form of energy.

Update: Sorry. Petro Canada made 1.1 billions in PROFITS for the first trimestre of 2008, double what it was last year...

So that's 100% increase. It would be one thing if demand were really that high, but demand isn't 100% higher since 5 years ago.

5 years ago I could fill up my care for $15. A mere 5 years later and it's about $50. That's what, a 233% inflation?

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

When some of the Europeans around here post the prices they see, do the currency & unit conversions. Heck, do the conversions on the Canadian prices that astr0 posted (doing it quickly in my head, it's over $5 US/gal.). Americans are pretty much the last people on the planet who should be complaining about fuel prices.

P.S. -- Hooray for public transportation!

P.P.S -- Arkan, if you want to express inflation as a %, it's usually done on an annual basis. Figure out the annual % increase that would get you from 15 to 50 over 5 years. (I won't guess on that one-- it's not exactly the kind of math that I can do quickly in my head.)

Edited by Enoch

When some of the Europeans around here post the prices they see, do the currency & unit conversions. Heck, do the conversions on the Canadian prices that astr0 posted (doing it quickly in my head, it's over $5 US/gal.). Americans are pretty much the last people on the planet who should be complaining about fuel prices.

P.S. -- Hooray for public transportation!

P.P.S -- Arkan, if you want to express inflation as a %, it's usually done on an annual basis. Figure out the annual % increase that would get you from 15 to 50 over 5 years. (I won't guess on that one-- it's not exactly the kind of math that I can do quickly in my head.)

I'm aware of that. I just did that in my head real quick.

It's around ****ing $1.50 a litre in Aus.

I wouldn't care if it were a product of diminishing reserves, but petrol prices are almost independent of crude oil reserves around the world. Prices increases are usually products mainly of artificial inflation, monopolies and inter-business dialogue between oil conglomerates so as to fight off the market force of supply/demand (similar to one giant monopoly).

Also, why do Americans say 'gas'? Natural gas is a different fuel (and cleaner) and sees far less use in cars. I imagine it will see more use in Australia soon as our gas reserves become cheaper to tap than our oil (which will likely be left to industry) for consumer use, but I don't think America has significant gas reserves or gas use in cars, does it?

I wouldn't care if it were a product of diminishing reserves, but petrol prices are almost independent of crude oil reserves around the world. Prices increases are usually products mainly of artificial inflation, monopolies and inter-business dialogue between oil conglomerates so as to fight off the market force of supply/demand (similar to one giant monopoly).

Also, why do Americans say 'gas'? Natural gas is a different fuel (and cleaner) and sees far less use in cars. I imagine it will see more use in Australia soon as our gas reserves become cheaper to tap than our oil (which will likely be left to industry) for consumer use, but I don't think America has significant gas reserves or gas use in cars, does it?

gasoline

I think the basic logic has been, "al those environmentalists are yapping about how we are running out of oil. So people think we're running out of oil RIGHT NOW. So, if we increase prices, the greenies will talk even more and everybody will accept it."

Which we do. I mean, what can we do? I don't drive, but it can be a damn pain sometimes, and prevents me getting things done.

gasoline

Ah. Owned.

BTW, $1.50 AUD is $1.40 USD - or $5.3 USD per gallon. What is it in America?

I don't have a car :shifty:

My condolences to those who need a car for genuinely good reasons :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just bought a 2008 Ford Focus, and it's getting 28 MPG right now, which is great for me....

Unfortunately when my 68 Plymouth gets out here with it's 9 MPG, I won't be driving it so much >.>

As I live within a major city with good access to public transportation, I don't need a car. That makes it a lot easier to make ends meet, as I spend only about 30

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't drive, don't own a car. A long while back I worked out I could travel first class on public transport, and get cabs and it would be cheaper. Even more so now. :shifty: And of course I get to read/work/fart contentedly while doing it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Taxis? Cheap? I envy you.

The taxis aren't cheap. I guess I should have clarified that I walk almost everywhere. The taxis are for journeys above 5 miles.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As I live within a major city with good access to public transportation, I don't need a car. That makes it a lot easier to make ends meet, as I spend only about 30

Petrol in Saudi Arabia is 12 US cents per litre. That's about 55 cents for a gallon, I think?

Yeah, but that's petrol. Which is inferior to gasoline.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."