Metal Gear Online Beta

Zoma

I heard that the multiplayer of this game is a killer. Killer = More awesome than Call of Duty 4 online game.

You get to play as either in a Red Team, Blue Team or randomly chosen as Snake.

So basically its Red Team vs Blue Team vs Snake with Snake getting all the cool gadgets but is one player against everyone while the color teams gets the true test of emphasising Teamwork in winning the game. To top it off, there is a MK2 in the map that randomly switches sides to help either color team.

Most of all, according to the Kotaku readers, they <3 <3 <3 the online game and is probably the most fun unlike CoD4 (Which is stressful) for the past years of online gaming. So I'm wondering if any here played Metal Gear Online beta yet? If so what are your impressions?

I'd wager I'm the only one here who's actually played it. The mode where Snake and MK II come into play opened up just yesterday (or Sunday, I wasn't paying attention that day). MK II is on the team with Snake, not red or blue.

And basically, I'm having lots of fun with it. I killed so many Snakes yesterday. As with most things in the game, it'll be a while before many people get the hang of it. I've only got to play as Snake when I hosted a passworded game just to try him out.

In the interest of full disclosure, the game is damned frustrating sometimes. The stun knife is horrible imbalanced for the way hit detection works. You can and will exchange fire and damage each other around the same time. Countless times I've gone to grab someone with CQC only to get hit by the stun knife right after. But with the stun knife, you're down. There's also lots of people who are just getting used to it. And quite a few old hats from the original MGO pulling headshots out of their asses.

There's other modes aside from Sneaking (the one with Snake). Deathmatch, team deathmatch, a multi-point king of the hill mode called Base, and a capture the flag variation (I don't recall the name of the mode) that features two neutral flags in the shape of a duck and a frog.

PS: I'm kicking ass using nothing but a stun pistol, CQC, and the knife.

PPS: Red sucks, blue rules!

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How well does MGS actually work in a PvP dynamic?

The upgrade to the gameplay in MGS4 surely helps, but I would still be dubious of MGS multiplayer, even given my love of Lost Planet.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It doesn't play the same as typical MGS. There's very little emphasis on sneaking in MGO, except for Snake.

The ability to fire from virtually every position, play dead (including remaining limp from explosions), cardboard boxes, magazine traps, and SOP (though people never use it after the initial spawn, bastages) all can make things very interesting.

How well is the "Sons of Patriot" gameplay integrated?

I heard it involves with saluting with each other in order to see your own team mate's location on the map and through walls. Very useful feature though a double edged one since I was informed if the opposing player managed to ambush you and hack you, he could gather all the information the player had regarding of his team mate's position he had performed the salute to.

It's pretty cool. It's not used as much as it should be, but I blame people being new to it. You can salute, or if moving, you simply point. You can see your teamates on the map regardless of linked by SOP, but you only see them through walls with it. Once linked by SOP, you get updates on their status (knocked out, dead, unconcious, trapped by a magazine) and you give information from your SOP skills to them as well.

The SOP skills include Scanning, which is what you're talking about. It allows you to use a particular item while holding an enemy in CQC that hacks their SOP system and gives you and everyone you're linked to the locations of whoever that guy was linked to. It has limited duration depending on skill level. There are three other SOP skills, Aware (displays nearby traps, like claymores and magazines), Target Alert, and Enemy Exposure. I forget which of the last two is which, but one reveals the location of people you've attacked, the other reveals information on people who've locked on and attacked you.

Partially to brag, my animal rank is Bee. Which is obtained for using the S.S. Plug (the item for Scanning) numerous times. I've rarely ever had had enemy use a plug on me and I've never seen anyone else with the Bee animal rank. To even use it takes up one of your four skill slots, so most people don't bother. The benefits outweigh the risks at this point, but that may change as people get to know the game better.

Edited by Tale

Played Snake twice yesterday. I suck at it. It seems like the second you knock someone unconscious, their entire team materializes on the spot to mow you down. I also got to be the Mk II two or three times.

-Hit him unconscious.

-Place C4 on him.

-Become a barrel and hide.

-They find their member looking confused.

-Press the shiny red button.

-Hit the screenshot button and perform evil laughter over the mic.

Snake doesn't get C4. Though he can steal it from someone who does.

You can hold people up. If you pat them down while doing it, they lose all of their equipment and you can take it.

Edited by Tale

I don't know about enemies, but you can do it to your teammates.