The Great Ubuntu-Girlfriend Experiment

angshuman

Seems a sound experiment! I could add more tasks that would elucidate but I think that for now that experiment highlights a good basic feature set for developers to help de-mystify.

Although in defence, how many people had similar problems when they first installed Vista after having used XP? Everybody would be my guess; even I did, and I'm a windows 'guru'.

That said, I highly recommend Ubuntu for all! You get the option to install it as a dual-boot, so you needn't go without Windows. Any questions you can ask here. I believe Ubuntu will be the dominant OS eventually. Maybe 2020.

That's Kubuntu BTW. I dunno about the other packages, but KDE seems the best desktop environment (and most similar to Windows Explorer)... is that Gnome in the screenshot? I've never used Gnome.

Ubuntu will never dominate until they figure out how to make the games transition smoother. People who don't play games rarely care enough i.e. the average pc-for-work user, and people who play games won't move until games can be played easily and well on Ubuntu.

Also I didn't have trouble moving to Vista as I always use the classic interface and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Also I didn't have trouble moving to Vista as I always use the classic interface and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Somehow, I think your skills and logic w.r.t. computer use are superior to the target demographic of that statement (i.e. casual/average computer users).

But yes, gamers are one of, if not, the biggest forces for operating system and hardware progress; they always want the latest, biggest and best.

• 2 weeks later...
Ubuntu will never dominate until they figure out how to make the games transition smoother.

Actually hardcore PC gamers is not the biggest potential market. Businesses are. This is the reason that ALL major (desktop and server) Linux vendors work mostly with corporate users.

I'm not sure that buinesses moving to Linux (don't a lot of them already use it?) would make it the dominant platform. Dominant doesn't just mean more users. Linux will also need some way to make it actually worth moving to for people who don't care about their OS and who don't need anything special.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I'm not sure that buinesses moving to Linux (don't a lot of them already use it?) would make it the dominant platform. Dominant doesn't just mean more users. Linux will also need some way to make it actually worth moving to for people who don't care about their OS and who don't need anything special.

Actually, it's true that businesses are the dominant force in operating system uptake. Gamers are more about driving innovation, if that make sense.

Linux plays many games fine. GTA, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc... granted you need the commercial Cedega atm (about $50 I think), but Wine also plays a lot of games and is catching up (considering Cedega stole Wine code, that makes sense). It's more of a patch solution for now, but the ability is certainly there and will only get better.

I just wanted to point out that Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the kde GUI instead of gnome, is even more user-friendly and IMO much better.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just wanted to point out that Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the kde GUI instead of gnome, is even more user-friendly and IMO much better.

As a KDE fan, I want to second that suggestion. Not the new fancy KDE4 though, which is still far from being production-ready.