Radeon 48XX coming

mkreku

nVidia can currently afford being lazy, as ATI doesn't compete on the high-end level, while being technologically more advanced once again. I hope that's about to change with the RV770 & co., as I'd love to see AMD/ATI survive.

This article does a wrong calculation for the x2-version btw. If the architecture stays as un-original as it is now, there will be no real 2GB of ram or 512 Bit memory bandwidth, because it's really (almost ?) the same memory information in 2x1GB Ram with 2x256Bit bandwith, cloned for each chip.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Stream-processing? While it isn't as general-purpose as the Cell, i see some similarities in chaining several special purpose processors.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes sure, but I don't know of any programs that can actually use crossfire-setups in this way. It would be great if there were though. For SLI setups, such things could potentially exist, as nVidia sells multi G80 setups as stream processing units.

It looks as if the end of this year would be a good point to build my new system: New graphics generation, AMD possibly becoming more competitive on the higher end too... :) Ok, I could wait for Fusion or something, but my PC is five years old already. So: Make the HD 4xxx series good, ATI!

It should. The 3870 can be set up for a four way.

They would have to introduce a new series right after I build my new computer. :(

I hate technology at times.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I love technology. And I'm still stuck with my X1950XTX, the last decent offering from ATI. I skipped the 2X00 fiasco, the 38X0 cards didn't have one for high-end usage.. but THIS.. THIS might be something I am interested in.

And I really hate that I had such a horrible time with Nvidia's drivers the last time I had a Nvidia card (7800). I mean, I recognize the greatness of the 8800GT, but I just can't take the stress of such drivers again. I'm stuck with crappy ATI for now.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think the problem arises when you need to do more than just game with your computer. I have several screens of different shapes and resolutions connected to the same card. Nvidia just couldn't handle that properly, especially since I wanted to record video with it too. Every time I wanted to have a movie evening in my house with the Nvidia card, it was a nightmare. The card couldn't handle scaling well, it couldn't detect the correct settings for the different screens, it couldn't remember the settings I had chosen previously and it required a restart of the computer every time I had to change anything! How do I do it on my ATI card? I press the button (in the driver settings) called "Cinema Mode" and start the movie. That's it! The card handles everything else.

But yeah, people claim to have more problems with ATI than with Nvidia, but I've never really heard any examples except for Crossfire problems.

It should. The 3870 can be set up for a four way.

The coolest feature about new crossfire-x is that you can team between one and four chips even of different series o:) So you could have a 3870x2 combined with a 3850 or something. If that works with the next generation too, I'm willing to consider to join the multi-gpu crowd. If the problems to achieve a smooth framerate are resolved and it will be possible to de-activate not needed cards (i.e. for surfing on the internet), that is.

I don't know about this talk of ATI not putting up a fight with Nvidia. Of late I've been following graphics card prices here in Portugal, and the 38xx series really pu shed Nvidia's prices down. I can now buy a 9600GT here for 129

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh yes, that is true. The prices for good cards never were as low as they are now. It's just that nVidia can freely set the price for its high-end cards: How much cheaper has a 8800GTX or even GTS (G80), not to mention the Ultra become since release 1.5 years ago or so? Not much. nVidia isn't even forced to invest in new technology, see the 9xxx series that's based on a G80 that was crippled in some areas and slightly improved in others.

• 2 months later...

Just a slight necro on this topic.. because it turned out that the 48XX series is indeed living up to its potential. And look at what it's done to the market already! Nvidia trying to counter with the 9800GTX+ (and slightly failing), Nvidia having to slash their prices.. a lot, Nvidia releasing the 260 and 280 models to try and hold onto the performance crown.

Can't wait for the 4870x2 to arrive! And for Nvidia to send the 280 through 55nm production lines!

I wonder how long before we get to see the 1GB 4870? I read they scrapped it momentarily because of GDDR5 shortages, but that's bound to change sooner or later.

I hope they'll get the power saving features to work asap, and probably even a refresh generation by the end of the year :huh: Because then, I'll be a happy customer, especially if nVidia has something that interests me by then as well. They really have to counter, cutting prices for such huge chips can't be good for them in the long term.

But yeah, people claim to have more problems with ATI than with Nvidia, but I've never really heard any examples except for Crossfire problems.

From my standpoint as a developer, nvidia hardware and drivers are generally more stable. Both our problems were with x1800 laptop cards though; one that made the FPS drop to 0 if more than 40,000 triangles were being rendered at the same time, and one that make an external screen flicker on and off when new textures were being loaded into the graphics memory.

..and I found out that all my problems with my Gf7900GTX were due to fried memory because of overclocking

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I really should learn to keep my mouth shut. I am using a 4870 now and it doesn't even have a driver on the official ATI site (yet)! I am seeing boulders and bushes straight through the trees in Gothic 3 right now.. :bat:

Will this one not suck because ATI I know you've been going through this crazy self destructive stage, which is pretty natural for a boy your age, and while I can't say I'm particularly proud of with the way you've been conducting yourself around town with AMD, but honestly it'd be hypocritical of me to criticize, I was the same way when I was your age.

Really though, I'm just starting to get concerned. You have to grow up sometime.

Just call me once in awhile and let me know you're okay alright? :bat:

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Fenghuang, couldn't you troll in a way that's easier to understand for us non native speakers?

I really should learn to keep my mouth shut. I am using a 4870 now and it doesn't even have a driver on the official ATI site (yet)! I am seeing boulders and bushes straight through the trees in Gothic 3 right now.. >_<
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894 second link under "most recent topics". Does it help?

Yeah, I found that one, but I am too chicken to install it :D

I'll just wait until it appears in the official system.

These new ATI cards are hoooootttt! And I don't mean just performance, the 4850's temperatures stay above 70 degrees celsius. Anyway, here's a very interesting preview of the Radeon 4870 X2 on TechReport. It's ridiculously fast, even though they tested only an engineering sample.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15105

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes