Awesome melee! Good job!

Ah, I thought that sounded familiar; my instructor taught me part of that for defence and offence with knife attacks. Most of the defensive stances for knife attacks involve using the person's own force with their knife to kill them (or at least stab/slash them).

And yeah, I agree it sounds like good secret agent stuff, but I'd also like plenty of non-lethal options, even when diplomacy fails.

No designer answer me?Does it mean a sadly "NO"? o:)

If we learn melee skill from different masters in different cities, it will strengthen the exploring and adventure feeling.

And if we could give unqiue hurt to different parts of enemy's body, the combat tactics will become much various. Also it make the non-lethal attack possible as Krezack said.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I hope that when Obsidian talks about CQC, they are taking ideas directly from martial arts like Krav Maga, SAMBO and Muay Thai. Also, it would be great if someone on the AP team is a fan of Mixed Martial Arts because that would help the game's CQC a lot :ermm:

CQC is fun

Developers, if you're listening:

-PLEASE have a number of ways to take down your enemies.

-Are you guys using a specific martial arts?

-Maybe you can use the environment to take down your enemies, like if the main character is against the edge of a wall, and an enemy walks by, you press a button that'll lead to him popping out, surprising the enemy. Or you could use objects to beat them down.

-As I've said, I'm hoping you guys use some kind of nice hand to hand martial arts. I want my character throwing some nice kicks, punches, counters, and parries.

While that would be fun alright, keep in mind this is still a RPG. Having Tekken-esque mechanics is probably out of the question.
This is a third person shooter/RPG.

Oni.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Oni was not a RPG. And regardless of how the game was marketed, it was more of a 3D beat-em-up than a shooter. Oni's fighting mechanics were inferior to Tekken's by several orders of magnitude as well.

Don't take me wrong, I've been playing Tekken for years now. But I don't see how that kind of HtH complexity could be added (and be made subject to a RPG character stat system) without hurting other things and scaring off some of the more traditional RPG players.

On the other hand, a simplified HtH system with basic controls where each perk purchased unlocks a new melee ability could perhaps work (a la PON). Parries/reversals could kick in automatically after the PC reaches a certain proficiency level, doing away with the need for the lightning reflexes and hours of practice required to achieve the same results in a "true" fighting game.

But that all would still be a watered down version of Tekken-esque mechanics, QED. ;(

Edited by random n00b

Second, does mike learn these melee artifice from the masters of different genres in the game world, or it just depend on how many points we spend on the related skill?

Now that raises an interesting problem. It would be interesting to be able to increase your combat skills by learning new moves from various NPCs. And it would be just as interesting to increase the non combat skills by reading books, like in Fallout or Vampire: Bloodlines. It'd be nice to hear from a dev on this matter. I mean, it's not a major part of the game so spoiling it wouldn't hurt, right? :p

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

• 2 weeks later...
It'd be nice to hear from a dev...

Would it? :)

Errr... I was hoping to hear more than a "Would it?" ... :yucky:

:biggrin:

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I got a few suggestions:

Like someone said (and it would be a pretty obvious thing to do anyway) mixed styles would be great. But one thing I was thinking of, which would help customizing and personalize your character is to unlock the certain "moves" that you want for your character. So you could learn certain styles to your liking.

Also, disarming enemies would be very useful. Let's say they come at you with a knife or some other melee weapon. You parry and disarm them. And if you sneak up on someone with a gun, do a move to disarm them in a none-violent way.

so you steal their weapon and aim it at them, they wet their pants and beg for mercy. Players choice whether to give them mercy or not.

CQC proficiency is a MUST in any secret agent's repertoire (IMO); whether it be Krav Maga, Pencak Silat, judoka, or any combination of whatever.

Fo sho. Don't you worry, our secret agent can hold his own. >_<

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

CQC proficiency is a MUST in any secret agent's repertoire (IMO); whether it be Krav Maga, Pencak Silat, judoka, or any combination of whatever.

Fo sho. Don't you worry, our secret agent can hold his own. :shifty:

Holding his own is one thing, how about quick kills against low lvl enemies? Mike shouldn't have a problem with someone who is trained to just point and shoot or if Mike is overpowering?

Even toddler can kill you with gun

Just sayin'

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't know if "low level enemies" is a concern, or if it's present in the game, but it seems like a stretch. Presumably, someone with enough skill and the right - stealthy - opportunity can off an opponent wheter said opponent is a neophyte or a professional. Hell, a bullet doesn't care if you can dropkick someone to Baghdad or only fight like a seven year old. Am I going to be forced to level up whats-his-name so he can do more damage with bullets and perform one-hit kills?

Game system will be much closer to Fallout than to D&D Role-Player :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Fallout like "Mike gorgeously kickdrops Bad Man From the Corrupted Agency for 3507 points of stylish damage, who travels 30 ft. into the air then collapses on the ground, spitting blood and lungs?", or Fallout like "How much for a rimjob, Tandy?"?

Actually, I hope it's not much like Fallout, in the sense that I'm fine with character skill governing some of his aptitudes but don't want to see that much of a static model of development. I'd be totally willing to part with those skill-increasing books and invest in actual physical development of the character. I can't proficiently argue about Rimbaud just by reading his books, after all. What's Mike have that I don't? Digital philistine.

Fallout like "Mike gorgeously kickdrops Bad Man From the Corrupted Agency for 3507 points of stylish damage, who travels 30 ft. into the air then collapses on the ground, spitting blood and lungs?"

I think you're confusing Worms with Fallout. Easy mistake - both excellent games.