So... yeah... I joined the navy.

Calax

Hey, mate. Hope you're still coping with this. If you need any more commiseration, it's right here for the taking. :unsure:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Couple of observations:

1. Good for you!

2. Navy people are busy in Iraq and other places where there is currently combat. Coast Guard too.

3. Navy medics serve with the marines.

4. It is good to have been a military person and have completed service and learned a few things and still be healthy.

5. My grammer school best friend joined the Marines and was killed in Vietnam.

6. My high school best friend joined the Navy and was killed in Vietnam.

7. My son joined the Army and served very successfully.

8. Don't bank promises and don't volunteer.

9. I wish you great personal success.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

I know the rule Worldwide is always never volunteer. But it's been my observation so far that volunteering quickly serves three purposes:

1. You know what you're going to get told to do.

2. If you have to subsequently try and sly out of doing what you vounteered for, people are less likely to suspect you if you volunteered.

3. No-one likes the bastard who tries to get out of everything.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I know the rule Worldwide is always never volunteer. But it's been my observation so far that volunteering quickly serves three purposes:

1. You know what you're going to get told to do.

2. If you have to subsequently try and sly out of doing what you vounteered for, people are less likely to suspect you if you volunteered.

3. No-one likes the bastard who tries to get out of everything.

Good points.

Two other related rules come to mind:

1. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. ;)

2. Anything not worth doing well is worth not doing. :p

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

OK. I obviously don't understand. You had bipolar disorder before you went in? Or you developed it during training? Seems a bit harsh for them to court martial you either way. Your officer commanding must be a total tit.

They didn't' court martial me (I'm back home now) all they did was dock my last weeks pay (well after the Captain signed my paper) and send me home greyhound. What I really want to fight is my re-enlistment code. That sucker is the big thing that pisses me off, because I've got an RE-4 which means I'm unable to re-enlist and most federal agencies won't even look at me for a job... I'm just wondering how the heck to go about getting that changed.

I had bipolar well before I entered the military, I just didn't think it was a big thing because I told my recruiter and all he asked was "are you on medications?" to which I responded no and he just went on like there wasn't a problem in the world. the thing I did knowingly (and stupidly) conceal was that I'd had counseling up until about 2 months before entering the navy. :shruggies: I guess I'll go Job corp or Borders (currently working on the app to the latter)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The best place to go, I would think, is your local Veteran's Affairs office. They could help you to change your classification if it is possible. I wish you success, Calax.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It sucks that you've been invalided out. I went out with a girl who had nearly the exact same problem. I think it's really important you understand that simply by sincerely volunteering you've stepped two paces ahead of the crowd. That's not my words, but our sergeant major, a man with plenty of combat and life experience. You can and should be proud of doing so. Full stop.

We're all missing the real story here, Wals went out with a girl!!!!!

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

OK. I obviously don't understand. You had bipolar disorder before you went in? Or you developed it during training? Seems a bit harsh for them to court martial you either way. Your officer commanding must be a total tit.

They didn't' court martial me (I'm back home now) all they did was dock my last weeks pay (well after the Captain signed my paper) and send me home greyhound. What I really want to fight is my re-enlistment code. That sucker is the big thing that pisses me off, because I've got an RE-4 which means I'm unable to re-enlist and most federal agencies won't even look at me for a job... I'm just wondering how the heck to go about getting that changed.

I had bipolar well before I entered the military, I just didn't think it was a big thing because I told my recruiter and all he asked was "are you on medications?" to which I responded no and he just went on like there wasn't a problem in the world. the thing I did knowingly (and stupidly) conceal was that I'd had counseling up until about 2 months before entering the navy. :shruggies: I guess I'll go Job corp or Borders (currently working on the app to the latter)

I was curious about this so I did a little research. It all depends on th type of discharge you got. It sounds lie this will be an entry level separation or "For the Good of the Service" discharge which it a General Discharge or Medical Discharge. It that is true there may be very little you can do about the RE code. If it is a General on "Other than Honorable" that you would have legal standing to challenge since you did not deceive the service to enter. I've posted the Link below. The short answer is if you can upgrade the discharge it upgrades the RE code. Ironic isn't it, you have to hope for a bad deal to try to get a better one but if they give you a fair deal you have no shot at a better one. That's the US military for you.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Careers-Militar...ent-Navy-re.htm

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was curious about this so I did a little research. It all depends on th type of discharge you got. It sounds lie this will be an entry level separation or "For the Good of the Service" discharge which it a General Discharge or Medical Discharge. It that is true there may be very little you can do about the RE code. If it is a General on "Other than Honorable" that you would have legal standing to challenge since you did not deceive the service to enter. I've posted the Link below. The short answer is if you can upgrade the discharge it upgrades the RE code. Ironic isn't it, you have to hope for a bad deal to try to get a better one but if they give you a fair deal you have no shot at a better one. That's the US military for you.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Careers-Militar...ent-Navy-re.htm

Crap... From the sound of it I'm pretty much screwed. As most jobs that are within the Gvmnt won't hire an RE4, nor will I be able to get a job that requires a clearance. Dast and Fie, there goes my chances at joining the post office.

Well now I'm unemployed with debts topping about $2.2k for my schooling misadventures in the past. Plus I need to find a way to get enough money for the medication so that I can stay in stable condition and not have another... incident like I had during boot, and for the therapy I need. I supposed I could stop the actual therapy as really all it is is me just getting what I need to talk about out of my system because I have nothing remotely close to what many would consider a social life. Most of my social interaction I'm sad to say comes from my computer either via this board or (prior to entering service) WoW. Anyone know where I could get either Medical, Medicare, medicaid or somthing similar? I've tried but it looks like you can only get it if your Old, Pregnant, Terminally Ill, or really young. Maybe the Bipolar support group I'm headed to on wends will help me out.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It sucks that you've been invalided out. I went out with a girl who had nearly the exact same problem. I think it's really important you understand that simply by sincerely volunteering you've stepped two paces ahead of the crowd. That's not my words, but our sergeant major, a man with plenty of combat and life experience. You can and should be proud of doing so. Full stop.

We're all missing the real story here, Wals went out with a girl!!!!!

ROFL. But there's no story since you'd surely expect me to date mental cases. :)

No disrespect here, Calax. She was a lot more mad than you seem to be. Although I used to think of her less as crazy and more as having a 'surprise brain'. being as how the two things I like most in life are challenges and the unexpected you can see the attraction. On the other hand I decided there was limited scope in a relationship with someone who chased strangers down the street shouting. I suspect the Army felt the same way.

One thing I'd say, in seriousness, I for one am impressed by your commitment to meeting the challenges and doing your bit. If there's anything I can do to assist then go right ahead. Reading documents, getting advice on key issues etc. The only proviso would be that I am involved in a lot of stuff at the moment, and I'd really appreciate it if you could keep it specific. I can't take time to dive into the whole stack of legal literature for example.

-Elwood Blues

Never underestimate getting someone on your side. I don't know any of teh kind of senior warrants you're likely to have to deal with but if they're anything like ours I have an argument which may amuse them and nettle them into helping: If the Brits will let Harry fight, why can't you?

Our favourite blockhead infantier is set to go out for a second tour.

-Elwood Blues