So... yeah... I joined the navy.

Calax

>.> well I'm a Cryptological Technician. or at least I'm going to school to be one within 10 weeks.

I guess this is goodbye for a while. I'm off to the recruiting office and then to MEPS for tickets and travel information to boot camp...

:waves stupidly:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Good luck with it. I hope you have a better experience with the military than I did. :ermm:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Have fun storming the castle. Sounds like a cool job, too bad you wont be able to tell us anything about it.

Only those who don't have clearence. :ermm:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I don't want to rain on your parade calax, congrats on joining and getting job but I have a few questions since I'm interested in the military as well.

Do they have accountants on aircraft carriers?

because I've decided I'm going into the navy now. The most bad assesest navy accountant around.

Also is it possible to do your MOS and then change latter on. Like what if I want to refuel jet planes and what not. Something neat and cool and like 2-3 years down the road I'm like well I only plan on being in the military for a few short years and I need to get back on accountancy so that I can get a job out in the world. Can I just do that or is there procedure and all this nonsense I have to go through or just wait until my contract ends and reenlist as something else.

Lastly. I've heard that you can get some pretty nice monies from the military. While you get paid most likely significantly less than in the private sector you don't have as many expenses or don't really have the time to spend it. Is that correct? When you are in the military, past basic and into your actual position, you don't own a car, pay rent, and all the things anyone else outside the military would have to pay. And since you are in "active duty" I suppose is the correct term you don't really have the means to go out and just buy a bunch of nonsense? I know it sounds kind of stupid but this is kind of why I want to join. Don't get me wrong I see the military as a place where I can hone a bunch of skills and I see it as a great opportunity for many things and I think I would excel and enjoy it since I'm a sucker for punishment and being ordered around but I like the fact that my financial prowess in saving every freakin dime I receive in income can be exacerbated even more since I won't have a bunch of liabilities most people have in regular life. Plus it means when I go out into the private sector I'll have a nice chunk of change that I can use to put down a down payment on a house/car and what not.

For example, you make like 2k a month. About how much of that is being taken away for various expenses that you need.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I don't want to rain on your parade calax, congrats on joining and getting job but I have a few questions since I'm interested in the military as well.

Do they have accountants on aircraft carriers?

Yes, they do. Almost every "job" you would see in a city, they have on a carrier.

Also is it possible to do your MOS and then change latter on.

Yes, but not easily. What you score on the ASVAB will determine which jobs would be offered to you. This is a critical choice as you cant change your mind once you start. However, you can join the Navy as what the call "unrated". What that means is the will train you in the general skill of either: Airman, Seaman or Fireman. Thats not as cut and dry as it sounds as each of the three general categories I just listed have many sub-categories. For example, I joined as an unrated Airman and my first job was AO (Aviation Ordinance) and I spent my days practicing assebling missiles and bombs. Later I decided to become an AE (Aviation Electrician). So think of it like this; an Airman will do some aircraft related job, a Seaman will do some shipboard related job and Firemen will do some damage control related job. The down side to that path is you dont get a choice, when you arrive at your first duty station they will stick you wherever they need you, within your field.

For example, you make like 2k a month. About how much of that is being taken away for various expenses that you need.

Zero. You dont have any expenses in the military at all. Well besides the hookers and booze.

Medical, dental, food, lodging, clothes, haircuts, etc... all paid for. I actually had a lot more liquid cash while I was enlisted because my only expense was my hedonism.

You were an AT (Aviation Technician) back in the day right?

Technically I wa a E3 undesignated seaman, but I worked with ATs, HTs, the Gunner Mates, the fire control people, the IT petty officer, the Yeoman's office, and pretty much being a JOAT for the two years I was in. I even got to paint the perfectly good ocean grey haul ocean grey. :bat:

It seems like every 3 to 4 weeks I was in a different department.

I would guess that they have accountants, after all my paycheck comes from SOMEWHERE within the armed services. You do still have to make car payments and rent if you decide to live off base (according to my cousin anyway) but :shrugzies:

I'm currently scheduled for a 8 week boot then (I think) an 18 month marathon of network security. You can't change MOS unless you were like Sand and was unrated.

I would guess that they have accountants, after all my paycheck comes from SOMEWHERE within the armed services.

well, not all department of defense people are military. lots of civilian jobs, too. as gifted1 noted, however, there's just about everything imaginable on a carrier. from what i gather though, most "specialized" jobs, such as accountants, doctors, etc., are filled by officers.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

If you've a good head for figures it can carry you a long way in most branches of the military. It's a rare skill, and possibly even rarer amongst thrill-seeking military types. Frankly, it sounds to me like you should join the reserves, keep on with your studies, and get up to fun stuff in your spare time. Plus if you don't like it the reserves are easier to quit.

I had a really humbling but cool experience tonight with my unit. Basically they found out about all the problems I've been having and the whole company en masse pledged to help every way they could. I thought: "Wow. I have a company of soldiers backing me up." I've always seen it as me backing them. It was great to see it working the other way. I mean uniquely great. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

final Necropost I swear.

Currently I'm in "Seps" or Seperation Barracks Ship 17. I'm stuck here for another two weeks at least before they send me home for medical reasons. I must say it's really boring when your entire day consists of not falling asleep and trying to find somthing to do. All the food here contains no sugars, and the atmosphere is one of depression and a lack of dicipline (in this ship, in my origional division it was pretty different obviously). and to Gifted, go get the Blue Jackets Manual. that thing will show you all the jobs that are currently available within the navy and tell you kinda what they do. With a bachelors they'll probably put you throught OCS rather than this place but :shruggles:

Also tell the people who process you EVERYTHING when you go to meps or where ever. anyway times up for net access g2g be back in 2 weeks.

Like the lady said, hoep you're OK. Is it phys?

Secondly, no sugar? I can't imagine the Army without sugary tea every fifteen feet. Or fruit. What the hell?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Lady?

Oh wow. I thought you were a chick too.

This is why parents shouldn't make up crazy names.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Killian is a crazy name? It is perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, but you're clearly a dude. I mean you've got a gun, and everything.

-Elwood Blues

I'm fine. It's just that bipolar is a disqualifiying disorder. and nobody told me (but I still was given fradulent enlistment for it :p no bad reprocussions except for a minor pay doc). I got really freaked out when my dad told me that "You're not coming home" and got suicidal and thus I was placed in the VA acute psychiatric unit for observation and released three days later, I should be able to get out of here by the end of the week or next week.

I hear basic training is pretty tough, best of luck.

Boot camp for the Navy is a joke. They are far more interesting in traing your mind over your body. I dont know the requirements now, but back in 1989 the final physical test was; 30 pushups, 60 situps (had 1 minute to do each) and run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. I mean, come on. It doesnt get easier then that!

Which is why the Seals are fewer and definetely deemed the hardest to enter.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

I'm fine. It's just that bipolar is a disqualifiying disorder. and nobody told me (but I still was given fradulent enlistment for it :p no bad reprocussions except for a minor pay doc). I got really freaked out when my dad told me that "You're not coming home" and got suicidal and thus I was placed in the VA acute psychiatric unit for observation and released three days later, I should be able to get out of here by the end of the week or next week.

It sucks that you've been invalided out. I went out with a girl who had nearly the exact same problem. I think it's really important you understand that simply by sincerely volunteering you've stepped two paces ahead of the crowd. That's not my words, but our sergeant major, a man with plenty of combat and life experience. You can and should be proud of doing so. Full stop.

-Elwood Blues

Well, the fraudulent enlistment kinda sucks. Since it's a court martial procedure, it's something you're probably going to have to explain on pretty much every job application you fill out for the rest of your life. Would it be practical to fight it? The elements of the crime do require you to have been in a certain state of mind-- either knowingly lying or deliberately concealing.

OK. I obviously don't understand. You had bipolar disorder before you went in? Or you developed it during training? Seems a bit harsh for them to court martial you either way. Your officer commanding must be a total tit.

-Elwood Blues