So... yeah... I joined the navy.

Calax

Yeah, it's scary to think 6ft Invisible Rabbit has had something to do with nuclear missiles back in the day

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

ASVABs? :rolleyes:

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

@Calax: Thats a fantastic score. Ive know over the year several people that went through the nuke program and they are all really smart cookies. Think long and hard about that bonus, not all positions offer one and I think with that training you would be set for life when you got out.

I almost wish I stayed in for the full tilt, I would have been retiring this year. :(

I hear basic training is pretty tough, best of luck.

Boot camp for the Navy is a joke. They are far more interesting in traing your mind over your body. I dont know the requirements now, but back in 1989 the final physical test was; 30 pushups, 60 situps (had 1 minute to do each) and run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. I mean, come on. It doesnt get easier then that!

I remember, I did so well on my ASVABs, that I had people calling my parents, knocking at my door, and trying to visit me at school and at my part-time job (my highschool had my entire graduating class take them my JR year, so I was probably 16 years old then?). All I can really remember was this guy in a suit telling me that I was "really smart for a girl."

They had some kind of really tempting offer, but I was a chicken, so I graduated highschool, moved into a place with 3 of my friends, and proceeded to get married too young (I was BARELY 20), and basically do nothing with my life. I'm a house wife and I'm BORED. That's probably why I game so much, and post on game forums. :rolleyes: I could probably get a job to bump up my social life, but my husband makes pretty good money, so I really don't need to...

Anyway, moral of my ramble is that you're taking a great opportunity and running with it. And that makes me kinda jealous for the crazy, adventuring life that i COULDA had...

You know how it's always easier to give advice about someone else life than realize things about your own. Well here goes :

Go do whatever it is that will make your life exciting. Just being comfortably settled shouldn't be the end goal in itself.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Boot camp for the Navy is a joke. They are far more interesting in traing your mind over your body. I dont know the requirements now, but back in 1989 the final physical test was; 30 pushups, 60 situps (had 1 minute to do each) and run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. I mean, come on. It doesnt get easier then that!

which is part of the reason the marines treat the navy guys like dirt. their boot camp is ridiculously hard (also the longest at 13 weeks and requiring another 4 weeks of advanced infantry training after boot camp but before MOS school). my brother went through hell (and did well, btw).

taks

edit: i should add, my brother ended up stationed in okinawa for his mandatory year of overseas duty, but his official station was camp legeune in one of the carolinas.

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

which is part of the reason the marines treat the navy guys like dirt. their boot camp is ridiculously hard (also the longest at 13 weeks and requiring another 4 weeks of advanced infantry training after boot camp but before MOS school). my brother went through hell (and did well, btw).

taks

edit: i should add, my brother ended up stationed in okinawa for his mandatory year of overseas duty, but his official station was camp legeune in one of the carolinas.

Marine Boot Camp is a mental game. And as long as you remember that is IS a game you will do fine. As for the physical fitness, so long as you are reasonably fit when you get there you will get through all right. The only thing is do not fall out of formation runs. No matter how sick ot hurt you feel, continuing to run (even if you barf) is always preferable to falling behind because the drill instructors are running behind the platoon. By the end of boot camp plus four weeks of infantry school (mandatory for all male Marines) you will be so physically fit you will be able to run 6 miles with pack, flak jacket, and rifle with no trouble.

The one thing Marine boot camp is good about is weeding out those who simply cannot do it. I went through Parris Island in 1989 we started with 72 in our platoon. Thirteen weeks later 45 graduated. I understand that rate of attrition is still the norm.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The one thing Marine boot camp is good about is weeding out those who simply cannot do it. I went through Parris Island in 1989 we started with 72 in our platoon. Thirteen weeks later 45 graduated. I understand that rate of attrition is still the norm.

yup, the ultimate mental game: push physical limits to see who has the mental stamina to remain. those with the proper level of will-power put up with the pain, those that don't quit. my brother was, btw, fairly fit (and thin), so he didn't have too much trouble. he went through MCRD in san diego and AIT just north of there in 1990, btw. made E5 in his 4 years and got out because he got "promoted" to a shop-manager when he became an E5 (he was an amtrak mechanic), which meant no more mechanic duties. he's now a diesel mechanic for cummins, and still a marine. ;)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I am, obviously, obliged to rag you for joining the Navy, but nonetheless good on you. Like the other fellahs say, don't fret when it seems like they're giving you pointless crud to do. The matra I use is "If this is the worst thing the Army ever do to me then I'm doing well."

Of course I'll be very different come Monday. One more weekend of fun fun fun coming up.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I am, obviously, obliged to rag you for joining the Navy, but nonetheless good on you. Like the other fellahs say, don't fret when it seems like they're giving you pointless crud to do. The matra I use is "If this is the worst thing the Army ever do to me then I'm doing well."

Of course I'll be very different come Monday. One more weekend of fun fun fun coming up.

that mantra is wierd given I'm in the nave rather than the army :)

anyway by the end of the year I should be working on Fire control stuff for the navy (got into the "advanced electronics" program now called JOG)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You have my sympathies, Calax.

You seem to not been told what the Navy means.

Never

Again

Volunteer

Yourself.

Joining the military is a big mistake.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Joining the military is a big mistake.

Unlimited educational opporunities, paid college tuition, interesting work, a solid resume addition, veterans benefits like VA home loans, travel, camradie, a career with unlimited potential for advancement if you choose, all that good stuff. Yep it's a real bummer.

Calax in the Navy there will be good time and bad times just like college, work, or whatever else you do. You have no control over that. But being happy or miserable is a choice you make. Sand chose the latter.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Its only a solid resume addition if you stay sane.

It takes a certain mindset to be in the military. One has to take orders even if the orders are stupid, one has to act like he has a stick up his rear and follow regulations when they make no freakin' sense, one hase to keep his mouth shut when he sees an idiot in a higher paygrade do something stupid that could get people killed. Sarcasm wasn't too appreciated aboard my ship. There was such a high level of bullcrap going on that I just couldn't stand it. Joining the military is a mistake and not worth the frustration.

Calax, just watch out for boot Ensigns who have an overly abundant sense of self-importance and delusions of grandeur.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

It takes a certain mindset to be in the military.

Maybe Calax has that certain mindset...?

I'm getting NZ citizenship to avoid the compulsory Korean military service (2 years), because I'm definitely not the army type physically or mentally, and I don't want to pursue it as a career anyway. But I can definitely see the good it can do for some.

Well, I hope he does, Tigger. I nearly got a Section 8 for my troubles in the Navy.

Well, I hope he does, Tigger. I nearly got a Section 8 for my troubles in the Navy.

I know this is a wee bit rude of me, but it seems to me that you've got a massive chip on your shoulder about the Navy. I have a cousin who's a US Navy rating, just spoke to him recently. He freaking loves it.

Likewise, without wanting to be offensive, it seems to me that you're whole "Me and me alone" attitude would get you bounced by just about any halfway reputable military unit. Loners don't get far in any service. Pull together is lesson one.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No offense taken, Walsh, and you are right. I am a bit of a loner. When I was given tasks that I could do by myself I get them done very efficiently and accurately, but as soonas I had to work with others things tended to degrade. Hell, even when we got into port for shore leave I went off alone while whole groups got together and went bar hopping, which is a task I loathe.

I like being alone.

I suddenly feel like watching M.A.S.H. 4077 again for some reason :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No offense taken, Walsh, and you are right. I am a bit of a loner. When I was given tasks that I could do by myself I get them done very efficiently and accurately, but as soonas I had to work with others things tended to degrade. Hell, even when we got into port for shore leave I went off alone while whole groups got together and went bar hopping, which is a task I loathe.

I like being alone.

Kudos for being honest. But you can see that perhaps your views are slightly inappropriate to most people who sign up? Being part of a close knit unit, making friends for life, these are all positive things for a lot of people. Things which compensate for a lot of the bull****.

-Elwood Blues

Kudos for being honest. But you can see that perhaps your views are slightly inappropriate to most people who sign up? Being part of a close knit unit, making friends for life, these are all positive things for a lot of people. Things which compensate for a lot of the bull****.

My views are always inappropriate. People here should know that by now. :ermm:

I do have to say the two positive things about my stint in the Navy was when I visited Hong Kong and Australia. That one gaming store I went to in Sydney was heaven.

I do have to say the two positive things about my stint in the Navy was when I visited Hong Kong and Australia. That one gaming store I went to in Sydney was heaven.

You, sir, are a weapons-grade nerd. I bow before you. :ermm:

-Elwood Blues