So... yeah... I joined the navy.

Calax

Congrats Calax! What MOS did you join up for?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hope you did it because the military life attracts you, rather than out of some sense of duty. Otherwise you may not be able to cope with the unbelievable amount of BS you'll have to deal with. Being in the military can be an extremely rewarding experience... or the absolute opposite.

At any rate, good luck man.

Edited by random n00b

But why did you choose the Navy?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That must beat being at McDonald's, srsly. I hope it for your sake.

Well, good luck.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Congrats Calex!

It will be very interesting. I had an unbelievable time in the Navy, got trained as an aircraft electrician and got money for college (which i never used :ermm: ). It was totally worth it. Take every single program they offer you and if at all prossible push for a West coast deployment when you graduate "A" school (which did you choose BTW?). I say West coast because it is by far the better coast to be on for deployments. I was stationed on a carrier (CVN-65, CVN-72) and we got to do port stop all over the Pacific and South America.

The biggest obstacle to being in the military is the "BS". Your ability to adapt to that is the single biggest factor for your happiness or misery. You have to be able to roll with the punches. A lesser factor is the isolation from your friends/family while deployed at sea for 6 months. Luckily for me, I joined at 18 so I didnt have a wife/kids/bills to worry about but I saw it destroy many a person.

Regarding the war. War doesnt really exist for those in the Navy. During Gulf War I we just floated around launching bombers and fighters. There isnt anything to threaten our Navy out there so dont even sweat that part. Plus you will get: 1) Tax free pay, 2) Hazardous duty pay, 3) Free postage!

So you're off to Iraq soon eh?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I'd like to echo Gfteds advice. Like anything else in life the more you put into the military the more you will get out of it. There are tremendous opportunities like 75% free college tution while on duty and GI Bill/NCF after you get out. Plus you will get full elective credit for all of your military training (at least I did). There will be a lot of BS to put up with but you just do it and laugh about it afterwards. Like anything else in life, being happy or miserable is a choice you make no matter where you are. As for the BS, there is a reason why the Navy (or any other branch) does what it does. It's not always a good reason but there is a reason. The big thing is, once you get out, having military service on your resume will get you a interview you might not otherwise have gotten. it's all good.

So my advice is:

A Chief Petty Officer actually ranks just below God. They can do whatever they want and no one really messes with them. So stay on their good side.

There is about zero difference between a basic Seaman and a PO6. Don't let any of them pull rank on you.

If you are on a ship with a Marine Det, don't laugh at them when they are doing PT, especially in bad weather. It makes us mad!

If you go to Korea don't drink Soju that isn't clear.

If you go the the phillpines don't drink Bullfrogs no matter what they tell you

Powedered eggs taste better with tobasco sauce

Never volunteer for anything, especially if the OOD smiles when he asks for volunteers.

Never go drinking in dress whites.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So my advice is:

If you are on a ship with a Marine Det, don't laugh at them when they are doing PT, especially in bad weather. It makes us mad!

And it usually also means the ship is carrying "special weapons". Sometimes you will see the Marines running through the halls fully geared out simulating an attack on the "special weapons". Get out of the way immediately or they will run you over.

If you go the the phillpines don't drink Bullfrogs no matter what they tell you

Lol. I preferred the Mojo.

Never volunteer for anything, especially if the OOD smiles when he asks for volunteers.

Amen brother!

Never go drinking in dress whites.

Our liberty was almost always in civvies but yes, drinking and dress whites dont mix. I cant remember how many I had to replace. The dress blues were no picnic either with all 20-something buttons on the pants.

how much they give towards college nowadays? is enough to actually pay for stuff?

Gromnir always recommends military service for folks coming out o' high school... 'less they gots a good academic or athletic scholarship offer.

is not 'cause military service builds character... 'cause it don't.

is not 'cause military service teaches discipline... 'cause it usually don't.

is not 'cause you will learn a useful skill... 'cause very often it won't.

the reason why Gromnir always recommends military service to high school kids is to get 'em away from their folks for a few years. gives you a chance to makes mistakes w/o mom and dad to help you. gives you a chance to make mistakes w/o mom and dad to hurt you. most kids is still kids at 18. gives you a few years to does stuff w/o having to consider first what mom and dad would say.

our background were real different, but it always amazed us how many o' our college friends were going to a certain college or taking a specific major 'cause o' their parents influence (monetary or emotional blackmail?) recalls one roommate, a 6'4" 295 offensive lineman who were 'fraid of 'nothing, 'cept his dad. every time Dr. C visited his son, Gromnir would have to endure our roommate repainting our bathroom with peach schnapps and last night's dinner. is good that such visits only happened a few times a year. seemed likes half of or roommates

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

well more details... I scored high enough of my ASVAB to make it into the Nuke program... they're practically BEGGING me to enter that program (20k enlistment bonus sounds nice) but... I'm having second thoughts, I'm thinking I should go into advanced electronics because of a job opportunity that I might get from Lockheed-Martin that pays rather well after I get out. Before I do anything too drastic about my job selection tho, I'm going to try to talk to my cousin (who's got 2 1/2 years under his belt already, and is advanced electronics currently)

and fer the record I scored 97 on my ASVAB.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Congratulations! Sounds like you're giving this a lot of thought, and are making a sound move on gaining skills that you can draw upon for the rest of your life. Don't forget us, now. Drop in when you can get to a computer!

I remember, I did so well on my ASVABs, that I had people calling my parents, knocking at my door, and trying to visit me at school and at my part-time job (my highschool had my entire graduating class take them my JR year, so I was probably 16 years old then?). All I can really remember was this guy in a suit telling me that I was "really smart for a girl."

They had some kind of really tempting offer, but I was a chicken, so I graduated highschool, moved into a place with 3 of my friends, and proceeded to get married too young (I was BARELY 20), and basically do nothing with my life. I'm a house wife and I'm BORED. That's probably why I game so much, and post on game forums. :shifty: I could probably get a job to bump up my social life, but my husband makes pretty good money, so I really don't need to...

Anyway, moral of my ramble is that you're taking a great opportunity and running with it. And that makes me kinda jealous for the crazy, adventuring life that i COULDA had...

legoK2.jpg

Check out my KOTOR fan vids on YouTube. And no, they're not of legos.

Since you're going to be in the Navy, see if you can join the SEALs.
What would be the point of that, bragging rights notwithstanding?

Um, so that he could get with the ladies, and he could sneak around all stealthy like and kill guys with silenced weapons, it's just like a video game!

I hear basic training is pretty tough, best of luck.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.