Baldur's Gate

Humodour

^Also, doesnt Elminster come hunt you down to get Drizzits gear back?

No. You get to keep his stuff in BG1.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

That wasn't by choice, actually. I believe the devs were forced into the silliness because WoTC wasn't happy with allowing you to kill Drizzt and have him remain dead foreva, and for you to keep his stuff. Thus, Harpell implies that he has simply revived Drizzt, and having recovered the loot, Drizzt will continue on as before, no harm done to the canon.

I don't know why they didn't have to do that in BG1, but yeah. That's the price of using these characters, you can't kill Elminster either, can you?

Well, that would explain it. It's still retarded since the scope of the game (ToB) is potentially way more disrupting on FR canon than just killing Mr. Stu. What's the point of allowing you to kill Drizzt, only to have him 100% unaffected by the encounter a few game days later?

Let's not forget that in the SoA portion of the game, you can kill FAR more impressive spellcasters than this Harpell person, in the shape of Kangaxx the freaking demi-lich, and the Twisted Rune. Casters don't get any more powerful than that. Unless I'm mistaken, the latter are part of the FR lore too, but there seems to be no problem with killing them.

I could have lived with Elminster or even this Harpell dude dropping in and tele'ing Drizzt and his pals out at the last minute. But really, standing there with a blank stare in my face while the man walks up to me merrily, takes away my loot, and proceeds to imprison me is stupid design in the scale of Malak of KotOR fame. And all to appease the raving tides of fanboys. Meh.

No. You get to keep his stuff in BG1.
Thanks, I wasn't sure about this, since my latest BG1 playthroughs have been with BGT.

Remember kiddies, you must gather your party before venturing forth.

You must gather your party before venturing forth...

Thanks, I will now run around saying this to myself all day long :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

To be honest, I felt like a piece of my soul had been removed when I went to leave an area in BG2 and my party was scattered. I sat there for a while just waiting, nay, hoping to hear the narrator's voice, but alas... my hopes forever shattered.

Yeah, it's funny how, in the end, you sort of miss it.

One thing I don't miss is the stupid 40 arrows per stack rule. It's not fun organising 30 stacks of normal arrows around in your inventory. CLUAConsole():CreateItem("arow01",9999)

God, it was worse in BG1. 20 arrows per stack.

It was kind of fun though... middle of combat, firing away, you've almost won and BOOM, Imoen tries to walk up and punch the Doomguard because she's out of arrows. Imoen dies, critical hit into chunks and it is time to reload.

Oh yes, but even at the start of BG1, you can afford to buy hundreds of arrows from the very start. Scarcity is usually not really a factor.

Now, it's fun when she runs out of arrows, it switches to that next slot with 2 detonation arrows and you're in Cloakwood mines narrow corridor OHGOD

Ah yes blowing yourself and your party up with Arrows of Detonation. Good times. :(

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Haha true that.

I've decided to play as a Blade, guys. I love druids but have played them too many times already. Still, it's going to be awesome fun playing a Blade in BG2. They rock. I guess this means my BG2 party will be:

Me - Blade

Imoen

Viconia

Jaheira or Cernd

Janny Jan Jan

Empty -> Sarevok

Sound good?

Well, off to play BG1 with some combo of:

Me - Bard (Blade in BG2)

Viconia

Jaheira

Imoen

Branwen

Minsc

Xan

Dynaheir

Remember kiddies, you must gather your party before venturing forth.

Thanks, I will now run around saying this to myself all day long :(

That phrase is forever burned into my memory.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Haha true that.

I've decided to play as a Blade, guys. I love druids but have played them too many times already. Still, it's going to be awesome fun playing a Blade in BG2. They rock. I guess this means my BG2 party will be:

Me - Blade

Imoen

Viconia

Jaheira or Cernd

Janny Jan Jan

Empty -> Sarevok

Sound good?

Well, off to play BG1 with some combo of:

Me - Bard (Blade in BG2)

Viconia

Jaheira

Imoen

Branwen

Minsc

Xan

Dynaheir

You aren't getting TuTu or BGT, then? :(

And, I guess it's a matter of tastes, but Jaheira is vastly superior to Cernd overall, unless you install the Shapeshifter rebalance component of the BG2 Tweak Pack. She can be more annoying too, to compensate...

Jsut to mind you all that you can BUY gem bags, potion cases and get a nice thingie in which to keep your arrows. Also, just choose the fighters' places for arrows to store them.

And yes, in the end, you sort of miss this:

*you must gather your party before venturing forth*

narrotor's voice...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

We're not talking about those inferior pieces of work - we're talking about THE Baldur's Gate games

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Just for the record, I was referring to his worth (or lack thereof) in a fight, mainly. From a narrative standpoint he's ok - I liked his personal quest more than most of the other NPCs'.

I'm still checking out TuTu. I've downloaded it and haven't gotten far in BG1.

Thing is, I like BG1. I don't really see a need to change or improve it. I'll be playing BG2 soon enough anyway, y'know?

Cernd isn't the same as Jaheira in a fight, but he's anything but useless. His werewolf forms are half-decent when he gets corned and once he gets a shapeshift HLA he's a force to be reckoned with. But he's a caster in general. As a caster he trumps Jaheira, as he progresses faster and has higher wisdom. *shrug* I may still take Jaheira though. I haven't played her in quite a while.

I just hate Cernd, you see. Bluhhhhh I am Cernd and I have been lobotomiiiised.

A fine line between enigma and bleached brain if there ever was.

Thing is, I like BG1. I don't really see a need to change or improve it.

Masochist.

(Seriously-- how many hours can you spend swatting kobolds in near-identical generic outdoors maps?)

Every couple of years I install all of the Baldur's Gate saga ('The' BG saga that is) and I can pretty much play them for 2-3 months solid. You're right that eventually the combat all starts to feel a bit familiar but personally I find that makes the games quite relaxing for me. I still try new classes and npc combos and that seems to be enough variation to keep me interested. The only thing that ever does give me pause are the annoying little side-quest bugs such as the Jaheira romance breaker. I haven't ever tried the games with mods installed though so thank you guys and girls for mentioning them, I'll have to give them a try soon.

Edited by Jinx

Deekin was awesome. I loved the dragon blood plotline for him.

I just hate Cernd, you see. Bluhhhhh I am Cernd and I have been lobotomiiiised.

A fine line between enigma and bleached brain if there ever was.

Aha. I didn't like his personality that much. But I don't like the personalities of most BG2 NPCs. I think Bioware hired a writer from Mills & Boon for BG2.