Empire Total War Interview

Guard Dog

You gotta check out the screenshots. Awesome! I'm taking a week vaction when this one comes out!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/866/866990p1.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No Africa? What's up with that?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It will be the most awesome game ever. I mean, you can play SWEDEN!!! :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

...I find it a bit scary I actually agree with Kaftan - getting to play as Sweden is awesome. Though blood will be spilled if I don't get hakkapeliitat as mercenary units or as trainable cavalry

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Read it. Great Stuff. Can't Wait. Hope it works on my computer.

No Africa? What's up with that?

You have to remember Africa ended up under serious colonization only afterr 1850's or so which is time period this game doesn't cover. I guess we get some coastal cities to fight for (realistic enough). And I'm sure ppl at CA have thought Africa would be perfect choice for expansion pack

You could make point for loss of East Asia but that's yet another potential expansion pack territory :)

edit:

In AoE3 you could build Hackapells, which I assume are the same thing.

Yeah, the much feared finnish cavalry men (whose horses weren't much though :p ). I didn't know they actually had english name as I've seen "hakkapeliitta" used for them in english language

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Well... I'm definitely not buying another Total War game until they fix the stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid AI. Ugh. I love the sound of a tech-tree, but the fact is, they sound like they are still only concerned with making the scale bigger and bigger and adding new features, without making the AI understand any of it. Another resource-hog, crap-and-unplayably-stupid/boring-AI TW in the works.

But you can't help but be excited when you look at that game. :(

You read the article? At least 1/3 of it was hyping the AI

And TW are still, even with an imperfect AI, the most entertaining strategy games in existance.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Bleh, give me Europa Universalis any day :rolleyes:

Ok, so I only ever tried the original Shogun: Total War.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I read the article Xard, but CA gave a huge middle-finger to the community and their own reputation when they hyped up AI and stuff in M:TW2 and the AI was basically just as stupid (or even worse) as in RTW. You were playing, essentially, the same game with a few extra features added on like a boil on a skin and lots of re-texturising. The AI was an amazing disaster and until I see improved AI with my own eyes CA won't get nothing from me. It's a pity, I put a lot of hours into TW and they would be fantastic games without that caveat.

I know how everyone feels about modders having to fix the broken games developers throw over the fence. But I would point out in both Rome and MTW2 there are a number of mods that tweak the worst of the battle AI (like cavalry not charging in to phalanxes, which is really annoying when it is your AI reinforcements) and Campaign AI (like not building legions of ranged units). RTR, Europa Barborum, and MTW Retrofit come to mind as the most popular. You guys should check these out.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How does the final release of Europa Barbarorum compare to RTR? Based on their earlier releases, EB seemed a little too concentrated on "realism" at the expense of fun gameplay.

I feel like the main campaign of M2 benefited greatly from the Retrofit and/or Custom Campaign Mod, both made by the same guy - a CA programmer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah, I was still around when both mods were going full steam. EB was a lot more ambitious, but I actually preferred RTR, mainly because EB was like at 0.6v after 3 years or something, and it was too ambitious for my computer - it couldn't handle having 3000 provinces and the map stretching all the way to India or something (and I didn't even WANT that, either). As Leferd says, too, I felt they were more concerned about making it *the* historical simulation rather than making a fun game on some points, and at that time it really had to be a labour of love to play it.

I saw that they rae finally up to 1.0 now, I wonder how it is.

Yeah, I was still around when both mods were going full steam. EB was a lot more ambitious, but I actually preferred RTR, mainly because EB was like at 0.6v after 3 years or something, and it was too ambitious for my computer - it couldn't handle having 3000 provinces and the map stretching all the way to India or something (and I didn't even WANT that, either). As Leferd says, too, I felt they were more concerned about making it *the* historical simulation rather than making a fun game on some points, and at that time it really had to be a labour of love to play it.

I saw that they rae finally up to 1.0 now, I wonder how it is.

Dunno. I've been using RTR for a long time now. I've downloaded EB 1.1 the other night and I've been toying with a reinstall to give it a look. I LOVE the music they used though. All period instruments.

Thomas Sowell

I've played EB since 0.82 and frankly, it is the more robust total conversion. Played RTR until the wait for 8.0 became overburdening and I got enough of the superstar attitudes some of the mod members had and I haven't been to Total War forums in ages, but I reckon they are still in Platinum edition, right? It's a great mod, but I wouldn't play it without Metropolis and Naval mods("metronaval" affectionally), since Platinum offers only very stock features, nothing you could not find in other mods nowadays. Kind of ironic, since it was RTR which originally introduced those ideas, like the large map, cultures having an effect, area of recrutment and auxiliaries. However, Europa Barbarorum not only reworks the game visually and aurally(like RTR Platinum), but it also adds a host of interesting features to the gameplay. A lot of these personalize the game further, making your leaders more important and prioritizing planned conquest and cultural improvement over blitzing the whole map. Then again, it's a very slow game and that's not everyone's thing.

I'd play both and see which one you prefer. Just remember, a lot of mod devs have a dream of closing the boundaries between TW and Civ games and that's not something that is going to happen with such a hard-coded engine as RTW. It's a military conquest game, the AI just can't take diplomacy or any other option.

Edit: MOLOSSON AGEMA! MARCH! KATAPRAKTOI! CHARGE!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds