Muzaq

Guest The Hero of 1001 Faces

I often think one of the most overlooked aspects in a game is a solid soundtrack. Icewind Dale had a great soundtrack, Arcanum had a great sound track. Hell, Fallout's soundtrack fit the game perfectly, even if I can't imagine listening to it outside of the game.

So, good people of the internet, I ask you, what are some of your favorite soundtracks from games of the past? Are there any that you listen to outside of the game? Have you ever blasted Yaga-Shura's theme from Throne of Bhaal just to hear it one more time? Ever listen to the God of War soundtrack so you can hear Kratos bone women that you never could? Are any of you REALLY BAD ENOUGH DUDES, and actually have game music on your iPod?

P.S. Playing "Maybe" from Fallout doesn't count. I'm talking about songs created specifically for a game that you listen to outside.

P.P.S. This is also my way of asking "Wut is your favorite game soundtrack?" without asking... until now.

Jade Empire's soundtrack was probably the best thing about it.

Is this your nefarious attempt at snide commentary? GOOD DAY SIR!

You're right, though, the OST was pretty solid. I actually want to dig it up and give it a listen, now. Guild Wars: Factions has a pretty good sound too, even if it isn't authentically "asian," I enjoyed it. Actually, I really like all the Guild Wars music... I'll dig that up too.

Hitman: Blood Money always comes up in my mind whenever someone mentions "game soundtrack". They must have done something right.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Deus Ex has the absolute awesome in terms of game music.

My copy came with a "soundtrack album." The title track is OK, but the rest is a complete snore -- dull and repetitive. Most game music just wasn't meant to be actually listened to, and the Deus Ex "soundtrack" is no exception.

If you don't like good music, that is.

Fallout music consists of things like voices chattering in the background and such. It's ambient music for the game. I don't really consider it "good listening music" on its own.

Likewise, game music is often only fun to listen to if you've already played the game and can attach the game's atmosphere to the music. Which is why the following is silly, to me:

Deus Ex has the absolute awesome in terms of game music.

My copy came with a "soundtrack album." The title track is OK, but the rest is a complete snore -- dull and repetitive. Most game music just wasn't meant to be actually listened to, and the Deus Ex "soundtrack" is no exception.

:teehee: So in other words your post has nothing to do with Deus Ex; you just dislike listening to game music in general outside games.

Even then I reckon Paris Cathedral and Begin the End for example are anything but snore. Pfft.

I thought Deus Ex's soundtrack was far and away, the worst thing about it.

BG&E had some good tracks.

Edit: Actually, the worst thing about Deus Ex were the character models and animations. But the soundtrack was still crap.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The soundtrack to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was pretty jawesome.

That is probably because Amon Tobin, the guy who did the soundtrack, generally makes good music: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...aifrxq9hldse~T2

I was just about to reply with a similar answer. Amon Tobin is weird but man oh man, is he good. His album Out From Out Where is pretty much essential for those who enjoy electronic music (for a lack of better description). The track El Wraith is particularly mind-blowing (or sick, whichever you prefer :teehee: ).

And speaking of game soundtracks, I think that Mask of the Betrayer's was fantastic. I'd love to see it available for purchase. So, Obsidian, any chance of that happening? Please! o:)

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I thought Deus Ex's soundtrack was far and away, the worst thing about it.

BG&E had some good tracks.

Edit: Actually, the worst thing about Deus Ex were the character models and animations. But the soundtrack was still crap.

I have come to the conclusion you have horrible taste. In everything. :teehee:

<3 Alexander Brandon. And <3 the Deus Ex character models. Games these days think roundness & anti-aliasing will make them have awesome graphics. It doesn't. It makes them look like cartoons.

The problem I think is that I played Deus Ex after NOLF. The difference in character models and animation quality was huge.

And how did Deus Ex models not make the characters look like cartoons? Cartoons drawn by a retarded six year old but still cartoons. And the fact that there was one geometry model for all women and one model for all men didn't really help. And then there were the Final Fantasy swords. What was up with that?

Heja Sverige!!

Oh yeah, add Boiling Point to my list of great soundtracks! You really have to hear it to believe it.. It's very peculiar. And awesome.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It was awesome! AWESOME, DO YOU HEAR ME? AWESOME!

I briefly concede NOLF1 was also awesome (but less so). Anyway, I never said Deus Ex graphics were realistic. It's just that they don't look like cartoons. They look better than the "high-quality graphics" crap they churn out these days. NOLF1 had fine animations. HL1 looks better than HL2. I think I just like low polygon counts or something.

Or maybe the fact that the designers didn't spend all their time and effort worrying about pansy graphics and actually bothered to make an excellent game and atmosphere is what makes me appreciate the low-polygon graphics of such games.

But I'm not even comparing Deus Ex's models to modern games' models. I'm saying that for its time, Deus Ex had awful, awful models.

And on topic: Zelda overworld tune!

Heja Sverige!!

Deus Ex might be in my top ten list, but those character models were nothing special. I think it was the animations that did it though. When running characters would revolve on the spot when changing directions it looked pretty ridiculous.

It's got nothing to do with a low poly count. Metal Gear Solid has low poly characters but the animations are fantastic.

On topic: Silent Hill series has, like, the best music ever. Also great character models and animation. Ha!

Edited by Hell Kitty

Bloodlines had a great sound track - although most of the songs were not composed for the game. Also, yes, I have ripped songs out of games and put them on my iPod. :thumbsup:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

DX had some awesome tracks. I remember firing up the game and using the playlist cheat just to listen to some of them...

TIE Fighter, despite being MIDI-powered had a seamless dynamic music system that enhanced atmosphere by about, 10000%, or so.

The original C&C (and to a lesser extent RA1) also comes to mind. Mr Klepacki knows his stuff. Hell March FTW!

I don't have any VG music in my player, but I have

as my mobile phone alarm tune... :ninja10:

Are any of you REALLY BAD ENOUGH DUDES, and actually have game music on your iPod?

Is it possible to be a REALLY BAD ENOUGH DUDE even if I don't have an iPod? :thumbsup:

Edit: As for the music, most of my favourite tunes are from before mp3 was invented I think. As far as PC game music goes, favourites includes Icewind Dale, Kotor2, Fallout & PS:T. Little else games I remember the music as "notable" from.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein