US Supreme Court to Decide if Child Rapists May Be Executed

Guard Dog

There should be a distinction between those who are predatory and those who are simply weak willed (and I

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was actually talking to a friend of mine who had done some time (wrong place, wrong time, basically) and he pointed out that there's a reason why the sex offenders are (in the UK anyway) generally kept completely seperate from other offenders (in his case they manned the kitchens). As he put it 'there are all sorts of reasons for killing someone, and people understand that, but a sexual attack is pretty singleminded'. Which makes me wonder if my opinon on taking premeditation into account (simply because we do for things like murder) is right.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Because it is a very simplistic argument that since it is forumulated in a not very strict manner can easily lead to things that wasn't intended by the original argument and which will be potentially very unpleasant.
You still elude answering how exactly imprisonment can lead to Bad Things, in a more substantial and regular basis than crossing the street or taking your car to go to work.

I actually don't think I ever wrote mistreatment. Instead I wrote that imprisonment is inhumane/immoral and that could be seen as a slippery slope but really isn't. It isn't because as I wrote in my last post I don't think that rehabilitation should be done with criminals running around in the open and being able to commit crimes, instead rehabilitation is an answer to the question that most people only answers with imprisonment and death penalty. As such the inhumane/immoral part must come to mean something along the lines of possibility but should be avoided if it doesn't create increased human suffering by avoiding it.
My bad. I assumed you meant that the potentially undesirable events down the slope was mistreatment. So, basically you say that imprisonment is bad enough by itself.

LOL.

You don't like imprisonment, but to cover your back, you say inmates in rehab shouldn't be allowed to run around freely. Yes, a most realistic approach, indeed.

Not to mention, you are also disregarding the current statistics on the efficiency of rehab. Which is kinda, dysmal.

That's a funny argument considering how much money is already spent on prisons. I can only answer it with the fact that a succesfull rehabiliation should lead to the person becoming a boon to society instead of a detriment and unless the person is physically broken to such a degree that he can't even commit crimes, it seems to me that it will always lead to a better economical situation than prisons which are really just a black hole for money.
What does that have to do with it? So, since it's already expensive, let's spend even more with no guarantees of return?

How about, have them work for a living?

They are adults, but most legal systems take mental dieseases and insanity into account if relevant. The state is indeed everyones babysitter since it started having a monopoly on non-defensive violence, I do agree that the state in general should try no9t to babysit, but there are cases where there is little choice.
Again, the mental disease scapegoat. Being mentally ill, save in cases of extreme demency, does not kill one's perception of good and evil. As I said, those people are responsible for keeping their urges in check and seeking help if need be. Not doing so is a criminal negligence.

Law is there for the good of society and not just the ones that are capable of living by its rules. I applaud your bravery in trying to enforce your view of law upon me, but must disagree.
Weren't you the one saying that it's not a matter of "greater good"?

If by "good" you mean efficiency (as much as possible) and stability, then yes. And that's exactly what the maintenance of the status quo is all about.

Otherwise, it's just wishful thinking.

The current penal system is inhuman because it is a human right in my point of view for any human to not be detained if other options are open. This is because I wouldn't want to be detained if other options were open and I view anything that I wouldn't want to be subjected to as a human right. I'm a bit perplexed at your asking for alternatives as I have done little except flaunt my support for an alternative.
"If other options are open", being the problem here. How do you ensure that a sexual offender can't cause harm to anyone, ever again?

And sure, it's everyone's right not to be imprisoned. But when it comes to the rights of a child rapist clashing with those of his victims, the victims' take precedence.

Or, we can all go live in the gingerbread house at the end of lollipop lane in the land of chocolate...

I am against death penalty by principle. So whether they should be put down or not is not an issue, rather if prison will do any good as the problem lies in something primitive and powerful as your own sexuality.

Prison should be an institution of rehabilitation for the inmate, in order to be fit for society once he or she has served their sentence. But in this case, i have no idea whether they should be put in a mental institution for life or a long prison sentence with rehabilitic programs.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am against the death penalty if only for the fact that the government, which honestly is just one bumble**** after another, is in charge of it. Someone could be wrongfully executed--somebody probably already has.

That said, I think child rape is an even more severe crime than murder, and I could only be happy to hear a child rapist has been killed--except for the thought that maybe he might not have done it.

I was actually talking to a friend of mine who had done some time (wrong place, wrong time, basically) and he pointed out that there's a reason why the sex offenders are (in the UK anyway) generally kept completely seperate from other offenders (in his case they manned the kitchens). As he put it 'there are all sorts of reasons for killing someone, and people understand that, but a sexual attack is pretty singleminded'. Which makes me wonder if my opinon on taking premeditation into account (simply because we do for things like murder) is right.

AFAIK, they are not segregated in the U.S. penal system. Ive also heard, but have no proof, that the other prisoners look at them as scum and frequently enact "prison justice" upon them, which I dont have a problem with.

The best way to eliminate child rapism is to eliminate childs.

GAME OVER!

Zing!

/end thread

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy