Alternatives to PowerDVD

Reinstalling everything from scratch after switching to Windows Vista, I discover that I've lost my CD key for PowerDVD 6. I never much liked PowerDVD anyway, but it always came free with whatever computer I bought so I've always used it, and I understand that unless I have it or something similar installed, Windows Media Player and RealPlayer won't play DVDs either. So is there anything else out there that will do the same job? For free would be nice too, of course. >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Media Player Classic.

I'm guessing VLC also works.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Cheers guys. I've downloaded VLC and it seems to be working fine, although it doesn't enable Windows Media Player or Realplayer to see DVDs the way that PowerDVD does. On the other hand, it's able to run pretty much everything and it opens and closes very quickly - much better than Windows Media Player. >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Do you have an Nvidia card? If so you could consider investing in their PureVideo DVD decoder. It offloads the bulk of the decoding process to the GPU, plus it does a fantastic job (the best I've seen) of deinterlacing non-progressive-scan content. You can use the decoder with frontends like Media Player Classic, Zoom Player (both excellent frontends) and even Windows Media Player.