Your Top Ten Games

What are your favorite top ten games of all time?

Mine are:

Fallout

Fallout 2

Diablo

Diablo 2

Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2

VtM Bloodlines

Oblivion

Kotor 2

Kotor 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

System Shock 2

NOLF

Civ IV

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 2

Fallout 2

Grim Fandango

Thief: The Dark Project

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Daggerfall

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh, what the heck, I'm bored, and I have 20 minutes to burn before bed. In no particular order:

Planescape: Torment

I said 'no particular order', but this is probably my favourite game of all time. If I had never played or known about any of the games I've played in my lifetime, the one that would really give the pangs is this one. It had a very special game-story; by that I mean the combination of plot, characters, dialogue delivery (though too wordy at times), easter eggs, voice acting, music and pacing of revelations. The conversation with the Paranoid Incarnation, and his story of persecution, was amazingly vivid and is the only tear-jerking moment in gaming to date, for me. The combat was thankfully tolerable for me, and the graphics were nice, detailed, and unique.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Probably the biggest timesink. It ticked the 'coolness' factor with Irenicus (ah, the voice acting): the story was not much to write home about, but nothing so bad to really irk, and the number of side-quests and areas to explore, and their relative creativity, was astonishing; I still wonder how in the world they ever managed to make such a game. The NPCs were nothing 'super-deep' but were very clearly defined and well-polished, and thus, memorable; and I just really enjoyed the gameplay, lots of magic, buffs and antibuffs.

Baldur's Gate

Has its own special place I think. Both in its lower-level gameplay and in the setting/story there is the sort of pastoral charm in that game you can't find in BG2. Story is even worse, but ah well.

Fallout 2

Curiously enough, I can't seem to go back and play Fallout 1 multiple times like I can with 2. I played 2 first, so that might be the reason, but I really enjoyed all the easter eggs, and while Fallout 1 probably had the more logical and consistent setting, I found it was a little too bleak and bland. This game needed some serious grinding (and gun-resale off corpses) for me to get by, and San Francisco was an aberration, but a definite masterpiece.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Only played twice, but going to get a lot more replays once I get a better PC. The fact that I even played it twice (and the OC twice) with 5-10fps everywhere is sort of testament to how much I enjoyed it. Like other entries on here, I really like an RPG when it has a clearly defined, unique setting, and Obsidian played it up well with all the spirit stuff. The NPC quality is closest to the IE era than ever, though still not quite there, and while the gameplay was rather munchkin, I had a lot of fun with it and I don't thin it was as over the top as Throne of Bhaal.

Thief 2: The Metal Age

This may change once I get around to playing Thief 1. Just edges it past Thief 3 because it has larger levels and is a bit more free-form. Absolutely brilliant concept and still remains very very unique; Hitman and Assassin's Creed are similar, but really poor man's version of Thief. Again you have a very specific steampunk setting; a clear gameplay hook it exploits extensively; some inspired quirky touches, in this case, like the comments made by patroling guards. Lovely game.

Medieval: Total War

There was Shogun of course, but this one really put TW on the map. A good time period: lots of great periodic touches like the focus on monarchies, titles and assassins. I still find this to be absolutely a superior game to R:TW and M:TW2... mainly because in the latter games, the AI got so poor it would literally destroy the experience. The added complexity of a tile-based strategic map totally destroyed all strategic planning for the AI, and some features actually devolved, such as terrain or titles/dynasties. This game delivers the best tactical warfare experience on the PC.

Final Fantasy VII

Yeah, yeah, I'm going to get crucified. It was basically my first RPG ever, though, so it'll always hold a special place. If anything the music was great, and the graphics weren't bad either; lots of variation around the world, some very nicely rendered areas/FMVs. The gameplay is archaic by now and I probably can't replay it because of that, but I find that is the case with a lot of 'classic' RPGs. Certainly, I find the combat more playable than the Ultimas, myself, but that's very subjective. Anyway, it had a nice decent story, very high production value, and all that - to the 12 year old it was a dream experience and for me now, I can still look back at it fondly.

That's it, actually. There are other games I very much enjoyed, like Arcanum or Europa Universalis series, but these are the games I would have no problem with if you asked me to just sit down and play them one more time. I'd throw in one Romance of the Three Kingdoms game by KOEI, but none of you know of it anyway.

In terms of multiplayer, I think I got the most fun out of SNES' Mario Kart. Ahh. BANANA!

No order:

No One Lives Forever 1

Deus Ex 1

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Baldur's Gate 1

Icewind Dale 1

Planescape: Torment

VtM: Bloodlines

Diablo 2

Knights of the Old Republic 1

Age of Empires 1

Age of Empires 2

Half-Life 1

Half-Life: Opposing Force

System Shock 2

Jazz Jackrabbit 1

Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Worms 2/Worms Armageddon

Bold = masterpiece game; obviously also good fun.

Italics = really downright good fun game; typically multiplayer.

Normal = a favourite game, but not super special to me.

The list is probably influenced by my preferences as a kid - rose-coloured lenses and all.

If you asked me again tomorrow, the order would probably be different, but most of the games would be the same (I hope):

1. Quest for Glory 2: Trial By Fire

2. Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Father

3. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

4. Ultima VII: Serpent Isle

5. Civilization IV

6. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

7. King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

8. Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness

9. Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

10.Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thief: The Metal Age

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater*

Silent Hill 3*

Resident Evil Remake*

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Dead Rising**

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

* I picked my favourite of the respective series, but I love them all.

** New Contender! Beat out Midwinter 2: Flames of Freedom, because as much as I loved that game back in the day it's completely unplayable now.

sweet ass adventure games

A Sierra fan I see. I was more of a Lucasfilm fan.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

The Secret of Monkey Island: Lechuck's Revenge

The Secret of Monkey Island

Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Father

Labyrinth*

* Mostly nostalgia. My first ever adventure game.

And now that I'm all nostalgic, I also must mention the Amiga game Elf. It's combination of adventure game and platformer was the greatest thing ever, or at least I thought it was at the time.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Guest The Architect

My favourite game of all time is Deus Ex.

And in no particular order:

Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey

GTA Vice City

KotOR2

Worms Armageddon

Carmageddon TDR 2000

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Super Mario Bros 3

KotOR

Would be my other 9 favourite games ever.

EDIT: Ah crap, forgot about Donkey Kong, and Pokemon Yellow. Love most the FIFA games too. GTA: San Andreas, Mortal Kombat 3 and Hitman: Bloodmoney get honourable mentions, too. Haven't gotten around to finishing Mass Effect yet but that might be a contender, I loved Vegas 2 but I thought the story-mode was too short, and Thief 2 is awesome as well. And I liked Fable, except for the speedy ageing of my character. :sad:

Edited by The Architect

What a hard question. Top 3 are clearly above all others and very close each other.

1. Planescape: Torment

Best writing ever. Great setting, music etc. etc. Oh and much much better character models than in BG's :p I even can get some satisfaction fron the hack'n'slash parts in this game. They weren't bad per se, just average. And crazy spell CGI's gave them faint touch of "awesome" first time around. But make no mistake, it is the Writing that makes this game so great

2. Fallout 2

I had hard time to choose one Fallout over other but I decided to pick F2 for second place. It has tons of more content and gamewise it is funnier - fights are more challenging and have somewhat greater variety. It has goofier setting with plenty of uneven bits in it but then again, New Reno is awesome no matter what.

3. Fallout

Equal to second but shorter and way too easy. That said it had better atmosphere and world. Like in F2 combat isn't phenomenal but I've never had more fun in RPG combat than in Fallouts shooting people in the groin with shotgun. Masterpiece

4. System Shock 2

Monkeys. Like. To. Scream.

Kekekekekeke

5. NWN2: MotB

Masterfully written and told story, great characters (Kaelyn is great) and better game mechanics than vanilla game. And I don't get all the bitching about UI, apart from camera that sure isn't perfect. But otherwise UI is certainly superior to NWN1 and IE games. I also had plenty of fun in some fights too and couple of them required even some tactics - first time in D&D game in a long time. All around one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of the last couple of years

6. Deus Ex

I'm finally replaying Deus Ex and I had luckily forgot most of the content meaning I discover so many things as new again! Absolutely brilliant. I feel bad for putting MotB above Deus Ex but MotB's art direction does it for me.

7. Baldur's Gate 2

Massive well written piece of gaming with ridiculous amounts of content.

8. Civ IV

...is it 02:00 already?

9. Metal Gear Solid

The original for PSOne title oh how I love thee. My first truly otherwordly great gaming experience :wub:

10. Red Alert 2

Pure nostalgia value

------------------------------------------------------

I've only played demo of Thief 1 & 2 and first hub of Bloodlines. I suspect at least Bloodlines will find its place from somewhere on that list. One of the Thiefs propably too but I have no recollection of those games other than they were good in their demos.

I also suspect ToEE might find itself on that list - demo has been magnificent combat simulator. But bugs will propably crush it. As they did Arcanum (which also had horrible UI almost ruining the game by itself) and KotOR 2. KotOR 2 should be on that list but there's bugs and it is too easy - Let's take another look after TSLRP is out. Some beta testers have said some fights have become much harder so... >_<

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hmm.

PS:T

Fallout

BG2: SOA / TOB

Anachronox

Grim Fandango

Deus Ex

Half Life 2 / Episode 1 + 2

Freelancer

Shenmue 2

Jagged Alliance 2*

*Thanks to P Diddy for the reminder.

Edited by Tel Aviv

A Sierra fan I see. I was more of a Lucasfilm fan.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

The Secret of Monkey Island: Lechuck's Revenge

The Secret of Monkey Island

Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Father

Labyrinth*

Good list. >_< Fate of Atlantis almost made my list, but it's been so long since I played it - must be over ten years or something.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

oh hell i just remembered a couple of games

revision to list:

Deus Ex

Fallout 2

BG2

Archon (C64 game)

Shining Force 2 (Mega Drive)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

One can always add more games:

Atik Atak

Jet Set Willy

Match Day 2

Dan Dare

Street Fighter 2

Sim City

Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Psychonauts

Beyond Good & Evil

Democracy 2

MOO1 & 2

Disciples 2

Jagged Alliance 2

System Shock 1

Baldur's Gate

Icewind Dale 1 & 2

Arcanum

Bloodlines

Secret of Monkey Island

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizards

Worms

Vagrant Story

Tales of Phantasia

Ogre Battle

Tactics Ogre

Maniac Mansion

Sam & Max Hit The Road

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Mask of the Betrayer

The Witcher

Devil May Cry 3

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

Starcraft

Lost Vikings 1 & 2

Deus Ex

Heja Sverige!!

Baldur's Gate 2

Final Fantasy VII

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Unreal Tournament

Half-Life

X-Com: UFO - Enemy Unknown

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Soulstorm

Suikoden

Silent Hill 2

5 days a stranger

Tie Fighter (groin gripping space sim awesomness)

Freespace 2 (ditto)

Dreamweb (the most athmospheric game I have ever played)

Secret of Monkey Island (best combat system!)

Fallout 2 (it was this game that made me "serious" about CRPGs. I think it

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

1. The Black Cauldron - This was the first game to really capture my imagination. I was young, and it was one of the earliest adventure games to be completely mouse based.

2. Quest for Glory 1 (VGA version) - Probably my first experience with an RPG type system. I played through the entire series eventually with the same character (I might have the disk lying around somewhere.)

3. Monkey Island 1 - The first game I ever played with a sound card. Guybrush Threepwood is my hero.

4. Xcom 1 - I am still waiting for someone to recapture the magic that was in this game.

5. Jagged Alliance 2 - I load this game up almost every year to play through it. I don't do that with anything else.

6. KotOR - The first game I played from start to finish in a number of years.

7. WoW - I took the day off work to get this baby. It was awesome until I hit the grinding levels.

8. Asherons Call 1 - My first MMO, I really didn't even know much about leveling. I just had a good time exploring and never worried about stuff like grinding.

9. NWN 1 - More for the community than the campaign. It was the first time I really tried to learn about D&D rules and stuff.

10. Shadowrun - The Super Nintendo version. I just loved that universe, I'd like to see good games set in it, not cruddy shooters.

In no particular order:

2 Pokemon Red Versions

3 Pokemon Blue Versions

2 Pokemon Yellow Versions

2 Pokemon Gold Versions

1 Pokemon Silver version

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I can see you are a man who enjoys variety in his life.

Heja Sverige!!