RIP Charlton Heston

Arkan

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=4598145

Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot-racing "Ben-Hur" and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84.

The actor died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife Lydia at his side, family spokesman Bill Powers said.

Powers declined to comment on the cause of death or provide further details.

Heston revealed in 2002 that he had symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease, saying, "I must reconcile courage and surrender in equal measure."

With his large, muscular build, well-boned face and sonorous voice, Heston proved the ideal star during the period when Hollywood was filling movie screens with panoramas depicting the religious and historical past. "I have a face that belongs in another century," he often remarked.

The actor assumed the role of leader offscreen as well. He served as president of the Screen Actors Guild and chairman of the American Film Institute and marched in the civil rights movement of the 1950s. With age, he grew more conservative and campaigned for conservative candidates.

In June 1998, Heston was elected president of the National Rifle Association, for which he had posed for ads holding a rifle. He delivered a jab at then-President Clinton, saying, "America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters, and we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns."

Heston stepped down as NRA president in April 2003, telling members his five years in office were "quite a ride. ... I loved every minute of it."

That same year, Heston was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. "The largeness of character that comes across the screen has also been seen throughout his life," President Bush said at the time.

He engaged in a lengthy feud with liberal Ed Asner during the latter's tenure as president of the Screen Actors Guild. His latter-day activism almost overshadowed his achievements as an actor, which were considerable.

Get your filthy paws off me you damned dirty APE!!

tombstone.gif

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'll remember Heston for great performances in The Omega Man, Planet Of the Apes and Soylent Green. Then I'll turn a blind eye to everything afterwards.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'll take his gun!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Heston had an awesome career, some of the work is just sublime.

RIP, a grand man.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'll take his gun!

colddeadhandsou5.jpg

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I was like "lol who's that guy" (shoot me if you want) and then I remembered Ben-Hur. RIP :sad:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Richard Widmark passed almost within the same week--two of my favorite actors.

Charlton Heston was awesome, for his movies and his politics. Even if you don't approve of his stance of gun control you have to admire him for marching for civil rights in the 60s--that today people think he was remotely racist because of venom sprayed by his opponents is the real tragedy. He campaigned for rights in the purest sense. And he made some of the most iconic historic, sci-fi, and noir movies. He was simply an awesome dude.

The man was a legend in his own time.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Grrr. I was going to say that too GDM, you beat me to it.

Goodbye and Godspeed Mr. Heston. RIP.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Did I miss something? Why would Heston's death make Rosie happy?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Did I miss something? Why would Heston's death make Rosie happy?

She hated the NRA, he was the President of it and she felt "betrayed" that "one of their own" would even associate with them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"One of their own?"

She isn't even in the same class as Heston. I don't see why someone would hate the NRA. They are about responsible use of firearms for hunting and personal protection. What the hell is wrong with that?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

They're about the use of firearms, responsible or not. It's just a god-given right of any american to shoot anybody any time and never surrender their guns except from their cold dead hands, of which Mr. Heston now owns a pair :lol: Should be obvious why the NRA provokes aggressive reactions from people :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

"They're about the use of firearms, responsible or not."

Simply not true. The NRA are exactly as Sand says they are.

Then again, Rosie is a member of 'Irresponsible Use Of A Big Mouth' aka IUOABM. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ditto what Volo said. You are way wrong Samm. The NRA is a group fomed to protect a fundamental American right and has done great things in terms of teaching and advocating safe and legal gun use.

Thomas Sowell