4e and the vidya gaems

I think it's rather obvious that 4e's taking some influence from how video games operate, and I'm frankly all for it. Operating more intuitively and simply helps everybody. It expands options without being bogged down in math or minutiae for pen-and-paper players, and makes more actions possible for video game adaptation.

The altered rules for combat seem to make it easier for game-adaptation of 4e to operate on the "under-the-hood" level, working convincingly in real time while hiding the math under the hood, enabling players to enjoy the inherently faster level of gameplay that video games seem to demand. In turn this simplifies (but not dumbs down) encounters, enabling DMs to concentrate on making the campaign fun and interesting.

I can't make a judgment until the rules are in my hands, but as a novice pnp player I'm prepared to welcome 4th ed. (even if many of my sourcebooks are rendered useless).

Agree? Disagree? Burn me in a car fire?

Given all of the equivalents of Hunter's Marks that get thrown around from round-to-round, and the fact that there are often many options for an individual character from round-to-round, I think it may be hard to adapt into a real-time CRPG. I'm sure it would be fine in turn-based, though it will probably require more management and attention than previous editions have.

convincingly in real time while hiding the math under the hood, enabling players to enjoy the inherently faster level of gameplay that video games seem to demand. In turn this simplifies (but not dumbs down) encounters, enabling DMs to concentrate on making the campaign fun and interesting.

It also simplifies implementation, and reduces bugginess of final product.

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

• 1 month later...