Warhammer 40k RP: Dark Heresy

quake

Has anyone had a chance to try it out?

I'm leafing through the rulebook at the moment; looks interesting but the career paths seem like an odd design decision versus a more open-ended character design model. The talents have pre-requisites and restrictions, so why further restrict character progression with "career paths"?

Any thoughts?

Edited by quake

Cool; I wish my old PnP group wasn't scattered across the globe so I could try my hand at GMing.

Yeah, combat appears to move relatively quickly (relative to other GW RP games, such as Inquisitor, anyway).

I've come to really hate the career paths, though there is an alternative "Open" system at Dark Reign ( http://vidzup.com/house-rules/dark-heresy-...l-system-2.html ).

Why aren't you playing, J.E. ? Not a fan of the Warhammer 40k universe?

I've been playing with it some, it's pretty enjoyable. Seems to move fast and everything.

Though having Monty play a psychopath does make it a little more fun...

Patrick's psyker roleplay is choice as well.

I think the setting plus the combat, plus J.R.'s indulgence of the group's quirks combines for a good time.

Nathaniel is starting up a dark matter campaign so it'll be interesting to play in both concurrently and compare.

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

If you chaps think it's worthwhile I guess I'll have to buy it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Too bad he can't shoot straight!

I like it bc you can go with what they give you or make something up.

There is plenty of user-created stuff around including Ogryns, Ratlings, Crons, Stealers.

For a 40K super fanboy who reads all the fluff its like uncle scrooge's money bin... only that I am swimming with space marines. er, Is that weird?

The group here is awesome but we have only played 2x, newborn child and table top 40k soak up any free time =)

Act 1 - The Inquisition Beckons (Quick set up game)

You met the on-board Priest Alvidalo Greshen.

You met Inquisitor Rex's Trusted Acolyte and Sister of Battle Okida Vess.

You briefly talked with Sergeant Geish.

You retrieved an ancient Tome from the merchant Ardus, who thanked you for killing off some thugs,

and offered a Half Price Upgrade.

Tech-Magos Saphentis of the Adeptus Mechanicus requested information on the Grey Knight Justicar named Alaric, and spit some machine code at the Tech Priest (Josh)

A Skaven poisoned the Guardsmen (Monty), but he was able to heal during travel through the warp.

En Route to meeting Alaric, the 'Magistrate' came under Rogue Trader attack.

The Acolytes successfully fended off the Raiders and Traders.

The Magistrate's engines were damaged and needed to stop off at the nearby Star Fort of Illumination for supplies and repairs.

After a wildly successful but suspicious visit, the Magistrate and her Crew were back into the warp, headed for Alaric at a undisclosed location.

Rex continued to decipher the Tainted Tome in search of a corrupted Saint.

Act 2 - Angels of Death

Things have gotten complicated.

Rex sent you to dig up information on the Saint Sarneus by speaking with a trusted = ][ = informer, Bhynus, The Armorer.

Tech-Magos Saphentis, of the Adeptus Mechanicus mysteriously showed up again at Afga, asking about the tech-priest, and the Grey Knight Alaric.

Bhynus told you of the great Fortress of Machall in the Mourning Gaze System, the same system to which Inquisitor Lord Rex sent his trusted acolytes,

led by Okida Vess.

Additionally, a small strike team of Ravenwing Space Marines, from the Dark Angels Chapter asked if you have come across a Fallen Marine, by the name of Nomad.

When contact was lost with Okida, Rex immediately sent you to investigate.

Upon touching down planet-side, you were ambushed by a group of heretical cultists, led by two rotting lesser-marines.

Inquisitorial backup arrived in the form of a Tech-Priest, Greshen and two Inquisitors in-training, both of which were killed in the fighting.

Greshen lost an arm, but was able to get back to the Magistrate in orbit, preparing for a full assault.

You are now chasing the Dreadnought Makarus in search of Okida and her team.

Okida must be found, and the Chaos Dreadnought destroyed.

and that's where we stand =)

Additionally, a small strike team of Ravenwing Space Marines, from the Dark Angels Chapter asked if you have come across a Fallen Marine, by the name of Nomad.

When contact was lost with Okida, Rex immediately sent you to investigate.

Upon touching down planet-side, you were ambushed by a group of heretical cultists, led by two rotting lesser-marines.

Interesting... what did you guys do to them? It is their most closely guarded secret, never shared with anobody outside The Inner Circle. *Especially* The Inquisition can never be allowed to know that half the legion turned traitors, as that would mean termination with extreme prejudice of The Unforgiven :wacko:

(Yes, I am nitpicking)

I hope you keep us updated on the hunt for Okida :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to hear the storyline. What are your inspirations for the story?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been in love w 40k since the beginning.

I've read a ton of the novels, books, fluffs, webpages.

DH is great in that you can really get into the nitty gritty of the universe, and experience the seedy underbelly.

The = ][ = is so twisted in its dealings it is perfect for a game like this.

I stole a couple characters from an existing novel (Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus) since I thought they were great and sort of tied everything together.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been in love w 40k since the beginning.

I've read a ton of the novels, books, fluffs, webpages.

DH is great in that you can really get into the nitty gritty of the universe, and experience the seedy underbelly.

The = ][ = is so twisted in its dealings it is perfect for a game like this.

I stole a couple characters from an existing novel (Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus) since I thought they were great and sort of tied everything together.

I've been fascinated by the Tau, as (in their way) a far more insidious threat than, say, the Eldar. The Tau, after all, believe in truth and justice and all that. A more appealing face of xenos, for 'good' players.

-Elwood Blues

Tau = Communism for those who are not aware. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being a commie, its just that Tau's fictional communism actually works that would make Marxist proud unlike our real world counter parts.

Tau = Communism for those who are not aware. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with being a commie, its just that Tau's fictional communism actually works that would make Marxist proud unlike our real world counter parts.

Well, the Tau are aliens. They presumably don't get obsessed with things like dachas, and electric toasters, and socks.

-Elwood Blues

No, but being led by a oligarchy, that controls everyone through propaganda and(if the rumours of that one Imperial autopsy are true) pheromone glands and doesn't mind sterilizing a whole planet to control uprisings, is bad enough already.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, well. With exterminatus you are likely to be dead before you see the downfall of your whole culture and won't ever be opressed by anyone anymore(unless you happen to be an Eldar, "hello Slaanesh!").

Then again, virus bombing is nasty.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Hey, the Meek may inherit the Earth, but you can bet your ass that the Heavily Armed and Possibly Green will take it right off them.

-Elwood Blues

"'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go..."

kirottu said:

"'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go..."

Or ogryns. Some of my favourite quotes are ogryn based.

"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."

And

"Let's see how these degenerate sophisticates handle a dose of pure unreasoning violence."

-Elwood Blues

Hahhah, the latter is great! Where is it from?

kirottu said: