GI exclusive screenshots

The idea of a dwarf who wants to become a monk because he loves tavern brawls is awesome on many levels, I agree with that. The execution could have been better, however, since all we've got is generic tale of an outcast who finally finds the meaning of honor and reunites with his clan. Boring. So much wasted potential. That said, I *like* the companions in the OC - and the campaign itself, for that matter - but they certainly are a long way from being something more than generic stereotypes.

Edited by H
20795.jpg

I felt that many of the companions in NWN2 were interesting twists on stereotypes - certainly not bland at all, and the writing was a big part of that. MotB went much further, of course.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I felt that many of the companions in NWN2 were interesting twists on stereotypes - certainly not bland at all, and the writing was a big part of that.

Obsidian tried it, yes. A ranger with no respect for nature, a stalking druidess, a bard everyone hates listening to, a sorceress who has almost zero control over her passions and powers - good ideas are all over the place, but the quirks just don't get enough screentime and end up being easily forgettable. Such a shame, really.

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought that the NWN2 cast of characters was overall better than just about any other RPG I've ever played. Only thing that it was missing really was a good romantic interest. Other than that, it was phenomenal. Just because a character fits a certain archetype doesn't not mean that he's not an interesting character, that's going to come down the the dialogues and the story. Different is not the same as good.

Was Kargain that bloodlusty dude?

I thought that the NWN2 cast of characters was overall better than just about any other RPG I've ever played.

Man, you really must play more RPG's

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Kagain was the dwarf with a shop who only cared about monies.

Heja Sverige!!

oh right that one

I'ts been long time since I've played BG's. First dwarf that came to my mind was that... umm... Khorgar? Geez, stupid dwarf names all sound same

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

oh right that one

I'ts been long time since I've played BG's. First dwarf that came to my mind was that... umm... Khorgar? Geez, stupid dwarf names all sound same

Korgan Bloodaxe. The one with a hatred of Aerie and a crush on Mazzy :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Was Kargain that bloodlusty dude?

I thought that the NWN2 cast of characters was overall better than just about any other RPG I've ever played.

Man, you really must play more RPG's

I played every Bio/Obisidian RPG since BG1, and I really don't understand why so many people didn't like the NWN2 OC. I thought it was a great game, easily on par with KOTOR and BG2. Yeah, it was a little rough around the edges at times, and I wish the NPCs were a little more developed in the second half of the game, but it was still a very enjoyable experience for me. And I've never played a game where I liked as many of the NPC as NWN2.

While I'd agree it's at least on par with KOTOR, I don't think NWN2's OC was quit as good as BG2.

Heja Sverige!!

I think Khelgar... is actually one of the best written characters of the last years. He is twisted cliche with great character development and interaction. He didn't get that price for best written character for nothing. Not original but too damn well executed to dismiss.

Yeah, he was a great NPC. >_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I wasn't satisfied with most of the NWN2 NPCs, Khelgar included. Once he becomes a monk he ceases being a character. His alignment was muddled as well (he's pretty obviously a chaotic character, his logic doesn't really work) He was an interesting character concept, no doubt, but it didn't add up to much by the end.

Continued character development after his change to monk would have been welcome. "My life as a monk" by Kheldar Ironfist...

I think they ended up with the butter spread too thin over too much bread so to speak. Kheldar, Neeshka and Qara (and Grobnar) started out great, but they (and the rest of the cast) sort of drifted off before midways through the game with nothing else happening (with the possible exception of Shandra who changed quite a bit towards the end).

Maybe it is an inherent problem of trying to add as many npcs as possible? Kotor 1 & 2 were based on a similar formula and both suffered from it too. PS:T and MOTB by comparison followed a different formula with fewer and more interesting npcs, which I found led to a more interesting game experience (other peoples mileage may vary).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In both my playthroughs of the OC, I would actually forget to make him a Monk (playing at 5fps makes you somewhat frustrated and hasty), so I would really only do that at the end. It was cool and quite marvelous to watch him zip around (at 5fps) destroying everyone with his palms, but yes, his story ended up being a bit too Disney cartoon at the end and I see it as a great opportunity for Minsc II spoiled.

Again I piggyback Gorth's point, but the fact that inter-party banter between Neeshka, Khelgar and Elanee stopped entirely after the first 30% of the game tells its own story. They wanted to do a BG2, but could only put half the material into it. Certainly, though, I think there is scope for BG2esque modding scene to arrive and shore things up here, adding lots of banter and so forth; pity the toolset put of many people in those first months.

For me, neither KOTOR games had very good characters. Carth and even his counterpart (whatshisname) were pretty boring; Go-to was horrible; HK was funny but that's about it, a silly gimmick (a la Cait Sith). And Jade Empire, well. I loved Bishop for a simple but effective concept, Sand, Khelgar were pretty enjoyable too. But other than that, the recent RPGs haven't really had very memorable NPCs and I think that's a pity, as they were such a big part of Torment, BG2, etc.

What the ****, Kotor 2's NPC's are best we've seen in long while Tigranes :sad:

G0T0 was quite a cool character story-wise (especially if you get influence with him and find out the whole story)

doesn't change the fact that he was a terrible character to use in combat

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Oooh, yes, Kreia was good. I dont' know how I forgot to say that. :lol:

Perhaps paradoxically, I found KOTOR2 to have a lot of good dialogue moments, with NPCs as well, but the NPCs themselves, when you hold them in regard, didn't really stand up, except for HK and Kreia. Atton was surely better than Carth, who was sort of like a custard muffin made without any creme, packaged in an environment-friendly gray paper bag... the blind girl had a nice concept but wasn't really developed well I feel, same with Go-to, who just became annoying. The chick and the bear, as well. And the Mandalorian. They were all good ideas, and they all had bits of dialogue you can look at again and again, but I don't know. I think it's because I just don't like the Star Wars setting that much, maybe.

Not saying that they are all bad. Just very "unevenly distributed" in their quality.