Problem with new computer

Azure79

Hi Guys

So I've built a new computer and fortunately everything is working nicely except for one thing.

Here is what I got

CPU: e8400 Wolfdale @ 3.00Ghz + Zalman cooler

MB: EVGA Nvidia nForce 780i

GPU: 2x 8800 GTS 512 (G92), currently in SLI mode

RAM: Some affordable DDR2 RAM 8gb total

HDD: WD Raptor 150G for the OS

HDD2: WD 500G HDDx2

Monitor: Samsung 2693hm - 26in monitor.

Everything seems to be working fine and I installed Oblivion and Half Life 2, just to see how things ran. Both games run really smooth at 1920x1200, but a few minutes in, my monitor seems to lose its signal.

I have adequate power, 1000W, and all my fans are working properly. I'm not sure if this is a overheating problem or something else.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I do not know about Half Life 2, but Oblivion has a problem exactly like the one you are describing after being patched up to version 1.2. If you are using that, the problem with Oblivion is most likely linked to it. You should also try disabling any mods you might be using, as bad, or incorrectly installed, modification could also cause the black-screen. Videocard drivers are another thing you should check.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yup, the monitor jack is screwed in properly. :) That's the first thing I checked.

It only seems to happen when I play graphic intensive games. I'll fiddle around with the fan speed and check temperatures.

The power supply came with the case which is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119139

Wouldn't be a heating problem i would think atlest for the gpu. Typically a game freeze with artifacts is the GPU RAM overheating. A freezing screen would be the GPU Core overheating. This sounds like the powersupply isn't pumping enough power to it for some reason. If you can't get any help here i would check either the coolermaster for help. HARDocp has a great forum too for this kind of stuff. Maybe Bok knows?

It looks like you should be fine though really, with your power supply wattage. And its rated as excellent quality.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Everything runs smooth when I'm just browsing the internet or performing basic computer functions.

I'm posting this from the new computer now actually.

I also started up a movie on Media player just now and when I maximized the screen I lost the signal again and had to reboot.

Hmm..... Honestly don't know what this might be.

Thanks again.

That's strange. Have you played with the native monitor settings at all, e.g. changed the aspect ratio (16:9, 10, etc.), refresh rate and so on. Also, just to be sure, which windows power/energy saver settings are you using?

My guess is the PSU and CoolerMaster PSU's being crap. My last PSU was a CoolerMaster 850w and had an occasional issue where my system wouldn't boot up unless I unplugged and replugged the power thing, and I don't have that issue anymore with my new 1200w SilverStone Decathlon

Also try testing each card individually, and see if the problem still happens, for it might be an SLI issue

Edited by Bokishi

I installed service pack one and that seemed to fix the problem.

I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I played The Witcher and then Oblivion for an hour each and everything went smoothly.

Before that I installed updated drivers for all my hardware that was compatible with Vista 64, ran memtest without any errors, fiddled around with fan speed, tested all my components one by one and checked my monitor settings. I set my monitor so it didn't power down or enter sleep mode. Maybe that was the problem like quake mentioned. :lol:

Its awesome playing all these games on 1920x1200 resolution with eye candy cranked up and on a pretty big monitor. Everytime I look at my 19in. monitor and wonder how I ever survived. Now to install some cool Oblivion Mods and try that Half-Life Mod Bok linked to. It looked really good.

Thanks for the help guys/gals. Much appreciated.