Bypassing wifi router encryption?

Arkan

No, I'm not asking how you do it. I just wanted to point something out.

I recently moved as some of you are aware. Well, I had several open wifi access points I have been using. Then one of the had encryption put on it. Well, sometimes I have to cycle through the access points for a better signal, but I have about 3 that are always within range and set to automatic. The funny thing is, that when it cycled back to the one that had the encryption on it, it automatically connected! I didn't have to enter a key at all. What could cause this I wonder? Magic? :thumbsup:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Windows XP remembers Wireless network encryption keys, and Vista does even more than that. Once you have the key, you're in.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Exactly, Gfted. I never entered a key before. It was just suddenly "secured" but I could still connect. How do you think I"m posting this message? :D

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joy. More reasons to distrust wireless routers. I only ever use hardwiring.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It is likely a bug in a visual representation of a wireless connection (lock icon or whatever), or maybe some funky WDS setup. It is hard to say without specifics. With the way it works, it is safe to say that you did not suddenly "crack" someone's wireless access point. :lol:

As a side note, I would not recommend connecting to unknown access points, that is, the ones you or your host did not set up, as they may be rogue.