Shopping for a new gaming PC

Darth Jebus

So, I'm starting the process of building a PC specifically for gaming. I want to be able to run the newest games coming out towards the end of the year. My budget is around $2500. I've been looking into Alienware and a couple other gaming PC companies but I thought I would get some feedback before I finally make a purchase.

I know most gaming systems can run you about $5k, but I honestly don't want to spend that much because, honestly, I won't be using it enough to warrant that kind of investment. The two games I really wanna try are Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, among others.

Could I get a good gaming PC for $2500?

If I'm assuming you already have the OS and peripherals (monitor + keyboard + mouse):

$380: Case + PSU: Cooler Master Stacker 830 (1000W)

$260: Motherboard: MSI P7N Diamond Nforce 780i + Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

$200: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz (or Quad core for same price but slower)

$180: RAM: Corsair DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB, overclock friendly)

$305: Hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar K71000 +

$305: Hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar K71000 (2 TB superfast RAID)

$195: Video card: EVGA Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB +

$195: Video card: EVGA Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (SLI goodness)

$30: DVD-burner: Pioneer 20x something something (who cares)

= $2050.

That's a monster of a system. It will run everything but Crysis on MAX using very high resolutions.

If you need a screen too:

$290: Monitor: Samsung 2253BW 22" (2 ms, 1680x1050, looks good)

= $2340

You still have money left. Buy a really nice mouse + keyboard combo too. Or some speakers, since I have no idea what you have beforehand.

You can not only get a good gaming rig for $2500, you can get a monster of a system.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You should most definitely build your own. You'll save literally +$500 compared to the pos tossed out from Alienware or Dell claiming to be some ultimate gaming rig when it's so overpriced for stuff you don't need or can't even be fully utilized by current systems not to mention they don't even come with monitors. Like what are you going to use a 1gig graphics card for? The hardware is so new and so fast (there is such a thing) that most games won't even be able to run it well. I mean unless you want spend $800 dollars for something that is premade (with a bunch of useless crap you most likely won't ever truly use or will use in like 3 years in which time your computer is already coming to the point where its just mediocre) and has Microsoft Office and Vista already installed go for it. This is why America fails.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Could I get a good gaming PC for $2500?

System reqs on World of Warhammer? If you can plug tab a into slot b you can probably get two. Let's see:

- Video (8800 gt equivalent) ~ $250

- 3 or 4 GB decent DDR2 RAM ~$150

- Mobo ~$100

- CPU ~$150

- Power ~$100

- HDDx2ish ~$150

- Sound, DVD r/w ~$50

- Whatever you want to waste on an OS.

- Monitor: decent 22" LCD ~$300

Yeah, easily. Can't imagine a game coming out within a year that wouldn't run decently on the above.

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

You can get a very nice Alienware for that price, and that is the company I would go with if I were to buy a pre-built gaming PC.

Alienware is a definite good brand. :alien: Seriously, though.

Twitter | @Insevin