Does the Xbox 360 really run at 1920x1080?

I was thinking bout getting a FullHD 1920x1080 screen to fiddle about on, but I dont know if my 360 will display properly in that resolution or if it will simply stretch whatever internal resolution its running on, so that the end image will be all blurry?

Im currently using my 1280x1024 screen to play 360 games on, and some games do render at that resolution(Forza2, mass effect, assassins creed) while others are a blurry mess(CoD4, Army fo Two). Is there some way to check what actual reolutions games support?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They usually say on the back of the box.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

But the thing on the back of the box doesnt say if its actually 1080 or if the game just stretches to that resolution. CoD4 states that it will run at 1280x102, but it doesnt, it just stretches the image.so it gets all blurry

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Depends on the game. Not many games actually render at full 720p or 1080p. For example, Halo 3 renders at 1152x640 and then upscales it via the 360 hardware. As you can imagine, a lot of times this is a necessary tradeoff to maintain a certain scene complexity, framerate etc. The folks at Beyond3D forums have done an extensive investigation of the native resolution different console games render at. Here are the links:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46242

The 360 can render a scene at any resolution, it always then upscaled... so if I render a 640x480 and stick it on 1280x1024 monitor, it will strentch, same as if I render at 1280x1024 and stick it on a bog standard TV it will downscale... Atleast that is my understanding of it.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

The console can send the final output at multiple resolutions, but it's a limited set. For example, when you play a DVD, it sends a 480p output signal, and your TV upscales it to 720p or 1080p. I believe the 360 can do 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, but you can render the scene at pretty much any resolution and then use the 360's scaler to scale it to one of the valid output resolutions. It is up to the game developer to decide both resolutions. Most games use either 720p or 1080p output resolutions, but the render resolution can be all over the board, as you can see from the two links I've pasted above.

Edited by angshuman

I got my new screen and tried it out. Strangely, it seems like the 360 itself does not output actual 1920x1080 w. square pixels but something else. I have an Eizo 2401 which has a 1:1 input-to-screen resolution function so you can always get native resolution crispness(even if this means that the whole screen area wont be used) and the 360 does not use the full 1920 pixels, but rather 1700

..and none of my games support 1080, its all blur-o-rama :(

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I got my new screen and tried it out. Strangely, it seems like the 360 itself does not output actual 1920x1080 w. square pixels but something else. I have an Eizo 2401 which has a 1:1 input-to-screen resolution function so you can always get native resolution crispness(even if this means that the whole screen area wont be used) and the 360 does not use the full 1920 pixels, but rather 1700

..and none of my games support 1080, its all blur-o-rama :thumbsup:

Well we did mention that it upscales....

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

..and none of my games support 1080, its all blur-o-rama :thumbsup:

That's very strange... most common display devices won't even accept a 1700x resolution. You have the Elite, correct? Did you happen to try this with multiple games?

No, I have the Premium HDMI version. it doesnt really matter if I play games or just look at the dashboard, the picture is definently not 1920 wide. It could have something to do with running it on VGA perhaps? I have my HDMI-DVI cable down here at the office to connect my laptop.

No, I have the Premium HDMI version. it doesnt really matter if I play games or just look at the dashboard, the picture is definently not 1920 wide. It could have something to do with running it on VGA perhaps? I have my HDMI-DVI cable down here at the office to connect my laptop.

Ah okay, I'm 90% sure it's the VGA that's doing it.