Stingray kills sunbathing woman in Florida

kumquatq3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_.../stingray_death

MARATHON, Fla. - Officials say a woman died in the Florida Keys after a stingray jumped out of the water and struck her upper body.

The spotted eagle ray had hit the 55-year-old woman while she was in a boat Thursday. Officials say she was hit in the face or neck.

It's not clear whether the animal's barb struck the Michigan woman, or if the impact killed her.

Spotted eagle rays can grow up to 17 feet in length and weigh up to 500 pounds.

They are known to occasionally jump out of the water but are not aggressive.

................................................................................

I think we all know what has to be done :p

...but they're so cute :p

GC%202001%20Stingray%20City%203.jpg

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

From another article:

(CBS/AP) Officials say a Michigan woman died after a spotted eagle ray jumped out of the water and struck her in the upper body in the Florida Keys.

The animal reportedly struck the 55-year-old woman who fell backward and suffered a severe head trauma, reports CBS News station WFOR-TV in Miami.

Wildlife officials say the spotted eagle ray hit the woman in the face or neck while she was in a boat with her family Thursday. Her name and hometown aren't being released yet.

Officials say it's not clear whether the animal's barb struck her, or if the impact killed her. It's also not clear how big it was.

Spotted eagle rays can grow up to 17 feet in length, weigh up to 500 pounds and have a wingspan of up to 10 feet.

Eagle Rays live close to the coast in depths of 3 to 60 feet and in exceptional cases they are found as deep as 900 feet, reports WFOR-TV. It is most commonly seen along sandy beaches in very shallow waters.

The ray's two wings sometimes break the surface and giving the impression of two sharks traveling together.

They are known to occasionally jump out of the water but are not aggressive and use the venomous tip at the end of their tail as a defense mechanism.

Certain sting ray species (ie bat rays) are sometimes called "mud marlin" by fishermen, and they are given this name for a reason: they are freakishly strong. Anyone who's tangled with a bat ray knows that even a moderately sized ray can break 80-100' test lines if you try to go head to head. They are gentle creatures, for the most part, but they are also extremely powerful.

And what would you do if you ever came face to face with one of these?

giant_stingray.jpg

There are doors

And what would you do if you ever came face to face with one of these?

giant_stingray.jpg

Its defences are organised around a direct large scale assault. A small, one man fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defence.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Once again the world proves that I'm right in not going to the beach.

I agree. You'd only tempt godzilla to rise from the depths.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Proof that sunbathing is not good for your health.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein