What are the skills in this game?

Syriana? Conspiratorial far-left politics? Ugh.

...Oh wow

Please Obsidian, Syriana isn't enough, you should make this blatant commie propaganda game :thumbsup:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Again, it also sounds to me like somewhere down the line 'pistols' is being used as a catch-all term. Again, forgive me if I continue to adopt a wait-and-see policy. ;)

Right, because it makes perfect sense that you could apply the rules to the Chain Shot ability to a crossbow, a shotgun or an assault rifle...

No, wait, sorry. That was sarcasm.

Even if that was a "catch-all term," the weapons it describes would be extremely similar (ie precise, fairly large clip, medium-to-long range, et cetera), and couldn't be held in such broad categories as "small guns".

Face it: I'm right, you're wrong.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Again, it also sounds to me like somewhere down the line 'pistols' is being used as a catch-all term. Again, forgive me if I continue to adopt a wait-and-see policy. ;)

Right, because it makes perfect sense that you could apply the rules to the Chain Shot ability to a crossbow, a shotgun or an assault rifle...

No, wait, sorry. That was sarcasm.

Even if that was a "catch-all term," the weapons it describes would be extremely similar (ie precise, fairly large clip, medium-to-long range, et cetera), and couldn't be held in such broad categories as "small guns".

Face it: I'm right, you're wrong.

Somebody has ego problems. But no, you're not 'right'; I've just stopped arguing with your circular logic. It seems you created this thread not to speculate about the skill system but to try and enforce your personal opinion of what it will be like. I'll continue to wait till more information is released about the weapon system before I blindly accept your overblown speculation about it - that will be a much better indicator of the truth. ;)

Edited by Krezack

Somebody has ego problems. But no, you're not 'right'; I've just stopped arguing with your circular logic. It seems you created this thread not to speculate about the skill system but to try and enforce your personal opinion of what it will be like. I'll continue to wait till more information is released about the weapon system before I blindly accept your overblown speculation about it - that will be a much better indicator of the truth. ;)
I'll make this quick, since your post is actually devoid of any arguments other than an appeal to motive and a couple unsupported statements.

When has my "speculation" fallen outside the range of reasonable interpretation? When has my logic been circular?

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

When has my "speculation" fallen outside the range of reasonable interpretation?

To start with, you're extrapolating a pistols skill to then mean separate skills for every other type of gun, which is extremely rare to find in games but also has no support from the article, which speaks only of pistols as a skill.

I will be very surprised to find a separate skill for shotguns, rifles and machine guns each, as you claim, not least of all because it would **** up the skill system in terms of balance (one diplomacy skill but 5 or 6 weapon skills? lol), but also because it would be an annoying combat system for the player to work with, spreading things far too thinly as it were. And is the distinction really any less arbitrary? You might be able to make a case for it if they weren't building this game around Rambo-style playing being a definite option.

When has my logic been circular?

Most recently, you illogically redefine the meaning of 'catch-all' to mean 'specific' so as to refer back to your original argument that weapon groups must be 100% realistic (even if it doesn't makes sense in terms of fun and game balance). This argument could only hold water if weapon grouping based on form/function (BG2, IWD2, your system) was a less arbitrary choice than weapon grouping based on size/complexity (BG1, KOTOR, SS2, Deus Ex, Fallouts), which signs indicate is not the case. Re:

Did you by any chance come from RPGCodex or NMA?

To start with, you're extrapolating a pistols skill to then mean separate skills for every other type of gun, which is extremely rare to find in games but also has no support from the article, which speaks only of pistols as a skill.
It says "individual weapons specialization." (GI p.43)
I will be very surprised to find a separate skill for shotguns, rifles and machine guns each, as you claim, not least of all because it would **** up the skill system in terms of balance (one diplomacy skill but 5 or 6 weapon skills? lol), but also because it would be an annoying combat system for the player to work with, spreading things far too thinly as it were. And is the distinction really any less arbitrary? You might be able to make a case for it if they weren't building this game around Rambo-style playing being a definite option.
Appeal to consequences. The functionality or lack thereof has nothing to do with whether or not it is true or not.
Most recently, you illogically redefine the meaning of 'catch-all' to mean 'specific' so as to refer back to your original argument that weapon groups must be 100% realistic (even if it doesn't makes sense in terms of fun and game balance). This argument could only hold water if weapon grouping based on form/function (BG2, IWD2, your system) was a less arbitrary choice than weapon grouping based on size/complexity (BG1, KOTOR, SS2, Deus Ex, Fallouts), which signs indicate is not the case. Re:

Haha, that's "circular logic"? All I said was that such broad groups as you proposed could not possibly work with a skill like Chain Shot. I guess that wasn't quite clear out of context, but come on man, context. I was quoting your use of "catch-all term" talking about the use of "pistols" as a catch-all term in the context of the Chain Shot skill, and not two lines above I was specifically referring to the plausibility of that ability being used for a crossbow, sniper rifle or shotgun.
Did you by any chance come from RPGCodex or NMA?
Nope. Edited by Cycloneman

A torture skill would probably offend some special interests groups, though an intimidate skill with practical applications would fit the game.

Cyc and Krez, point-not-person, s'il vous plait.

I can't comment on whose interpretation is likely to be right or whatever, but just assuming Obsidian does make pistol skill, machine-gun, etc., I do think that would be a bad move - either you're spread too thin or you end up with lots of points, which just makes leveling up a silly job.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe "Hacking" is a skill? That way you could tap phones and hack into computers and stuff?

"Lockpicking" ought to be a skill, but probably isn't. It might be baked into some other more general skill though.

"Persuasion" is a pretty good skill for a spy to have. Might also be called "Diplomacy".

And I don't think they've made one especially for each weapon in the game. More likely "Handguns (revolvers, pistols, etc.)" and "Rifles (including shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles)".

I feel compelled to agree with you on that one. Maybe it's a little more similar to the d10 set of skills? Like Bloodlines, or maybe it will be more like Fallout's skill system.

• 1 month later...

And with the new Sega Nerds interview we've got more information with:

These are like gun skills, hacking abilities, how resistant you are to damage, how good you are at picking locks and such
Lockpicking and "toughness" confirmed.

Aw damn... looks like I've got eleven skills:

And that all ties into the role playing system; Mike has a skill for each of the four types of shooting weapons. He also has close quarter, hand-to-hand skills that he can use if he wants to and of course he also has gadgets which can be lethal as well.
Seems unlikely hacking overlaps given:
Plus you can use some of your other skills like hacking to disable cameras so you can ninja around levels some more.
I guess stealth is just done by player/equipment/other skills, given the same article doesn't mention any stealth skill when he's going into it.

So, the list looks like:

Pistols, Shotguns, Assault Rifles, Some Other Gun, Close Quarter, Gadgets, Hacking, Lockpicking, Electronics, "Toughness" (i dunno, like maybe part of a larger skill set)

There could be overlap between Lockpicking and Electronics, or maybe "Electronics" is incorporated into Hacking, but it looks pretty clear.

Yes, it looks like there will be 5 combat skills, plus hacking, lock-picking, some sort of toughness skill. So at minimum there are 8 skills that are set in stone.

That leaves at most 2 skills, and I think you've probably picked the right two. However, I wouldn't be surprised if electronics is incorporated into hacking. If Deus Ex is any indication it won't be. But also notice that he doesn't say that gadget use is governed by skills, while he does specifically say that there are separate skills for all 4 shooting weapons and for close combat.

There's also possibly 1 speech skill, and maybe some sort of skill-based stealth system. But I don't expect the dialogue or the stealth to be skill-dependent. Is there anything left? I suppose it could ultimately any 2 among those last 4, or something else that I didn't mention.

I'm thinkink that if the game has real time lighting, and enemies aware of their environment, as in Thief, then a Stealth skill is more or less superfluous. Stealth will completely depend on player skill if this is true.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Couldn't a stealth skill improve things like your speed when crouching/sneaking, and simulate that you make less noise and are generally less detectible (i.e. the enemy awareness stuff is decreased)? So you still sneak on your own, but it controls how likely you are to be seen, within reasonable limitations. Wouldn't be something you'd put '20' points in, I guess.

That leaves at most 2 skills, and I think you've probably picked the right two. However, I wouldn't be surprised if electronics is incorporated into hacking. If Deus Ex is any indication it won't be. But also notice that he doesn't say that gadget use is governed by skills, while he does specifically say that there are separate skills for all 4 shooting weapons and for close combat.

Nice catch on the gadgets thing. I guess there's still one big question mark (electronics is mentioned in another article, so that's at best a little question mark).

Couldn't a stealth skill improve things like your speed when crouching/sneaking, and simulate that you make less noise and are generally less detectible (i.e. the enemy awareness stuff is decreased)? So you still sneak on your own, but it controls how likely you are to be seen, within reasonable limitations. Wouldn't be something you'd put '20' points in, I guess.
The big problem is that in the Sega Nerds interview, he goes in depth into stealth, and there's zero mention of a steal skill, which would be a pretty big omission. Edited by Cycloneman

1) Pimpin'

2) Crip Walkin'

3) Kung Fu

4) Safe Cracking

5) Alchemy

6) Knowledge: Religion

7) 9mm Semi-Auto Pistols

:p Heavy Weapons

9) Pet Grooming

10) Rope Use

No Pool Shark Empathy or STD Resist?

Also, hahhahhah! :bat:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds