Vista: Service Pack One

Well, Microsoft has finally released the first service pack for Windows Vista - and now users must decide if they want to do a complete installation or wait until Windows Update delivers the Service Pack in smaller segments. It has been confirmed that initial release retains the compatibility issues with several leading brands of antivirus and antispyware* programs, as well as other software, although most of the developers have issued either a SP1 compatible version or a patch to fix the issue within their existing software. At the moment, I have decided to wait and upgrade after I figure out some issues I have been having with my graphics drivers, but, once those are resolved, I plan on upgrading to SP1.

Links:

32bit Vista

64bit Vista

*Known Programs:

BitDefender AV or Internet Security (10)

Fujitsu Shock Sensor (2.1.0.0)

Jiangmin KV Antivirus (10)

Jiangmin KV Antivirus (2008)

Zone Alarm Security Suite (7.1.078)

Iron Speed Designer (5.0.1)

Xheo Licensing (3.1)

Free Allegiance (2.1)

NYT Reader (1)

Rising Personal Firewall (2007)

Novell ZCM Agent (10.01)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Thread pruned: Let's try this once - if you cannot play nice, make use of the ignore function. If you continue to bait one another, I will have to move and put people in time-outs ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

haha, that was quick.

Does Vista still have issues with playing XP compatable games and would you (or any other user) honestly recomend making the switch? I use a lot of multimedia programs if that effects the answer.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Um am I baiting Windows Vista? Is vista going to come out and bite me? Sorry for the irrelevant comment about Star Trek but my statement that vista sucks still stands as an acceptable opinion.

Here As Evidence

"HaHa that was quick"

Is bait. I'm not in the mood to go fishing right now, nick_i_am, HaHa.

I'd like to ask what the problem is with not liking Vista, because I'll listen.

Twitter | @Insevin

Does Vista still have issues with playing XP compatable games and would you (or any other user) honestly recomend making the switch? I use a lot of multimedia programs if that effects the answer.

I have not had any problems with any of the games that I have tried to play on Vista, nor have any other applications given me any issues. But than again, I would not really recommend you upgrade unless you want the newer features of Vista and have a PC that is capable of running it. If you do decide to upgrade, you should make sure any programs that you want to use are compatable -I'll make another topic with a list of all the main programs that work or can be tweaked to work- and take that information into your calculations.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yes, one story you spam-posted everywhere. Can you please provide more proof then a single story that has no citations or indications of what the problem was, as even someone using XP has had the issue described.

-Hurlshot

Also: XP software used on Vista doesn't go well (usually). Srsly.

O RLY? I have had no problems running any XP software on my Vista PC so far, and I have yet to see you actually back up any of your anti-Vista rumormongering.

-Hurlshot

Thanks! Well, it's done and I cannot find any negatives at the moment - although Vista does seem a bit faster. I'll try some games later tonight and post the results of that.

-Hurlshot

Well, there might have been a slight decrease in Steam apps' FPS - but they;re almost the same and I do not know it the drop is due to SP1 or the new display drivers I'm trying.

-Hurlshot

No, the FPS rate is still quite fine - and the change is only about 1-5, still I would like to know if the Beta drivers are to blame*.

*It might also be the fact that the drivers are meant for an almost identical laptop, the 1520, but do not specifically say they work with the Vostro 1500.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

-Hurlshot

I'll try to be more open to Vista. The backward compatiblity is what kills me. Apparently as seen your compatibility list, ( as long as none of them are :) [:bat:]) Vista is starting to shape up.

Twitter | @Insevin

Another interesting note is that my Vista score actually went up after installing SP1 - although the main score on my laptop did not increase due to the CPU bottleneck, but I can always upgrade that later.

-Hurlshot

They did a gaming test in a Swedish online magazine recently (www.idg.se) where they compared the same games (and apps) on Vista SP1 to XP. Vista still lost horribly in most tests. I'm not switching yet.

Source (in Swedish though): http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.149702

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thanks for the link. Downloading it now. So far I have never had any problems with Vista. XP was okay, and ME was a nightmare. So far, Vista has been a very smooth ride.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"