Vista Land

walkerguy

How do you feel about Windows Vista?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Windows Vista?

• I have it and I love it.
    • I have it and I hate it.
    • I have it and don't have any cares.
    • I don't have it but think its awesome.
    • I don't have it but think its terrible.
    • I don't have it but I want to get it.
    • I have it but I want to get rid of it.
    • (Have it) I should have never "upgraded" from XP to Vista.
    • (Have it) I wish I had upgraded a long time ago!
    • Which OS is that?!
  2. 2. Which kind do you have?

• 1 or more P/Cs with Vista Basic
    • 1 or more P/Cs with Vista Premium
    • I have both on different P/Cs
    • I have both on the same P/C!
    • I have Windows XP thank god!!
    • I don't have Windows Vista.
    • I don't own a stupid Windows P/C.
    • Uhh... I'm confused.
  3. 3. Overall Rating of Vista 1=Poor - 5=Great

• No vote.

Windows Vista SP1 Wreaks

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=206904736

I just got a random glitch where all the posts turned into links! Vista is terrible with random glitches and errors! Software works poorly with it and its even difficult to use its Internet Explorer. I've tried gaming on it, :( Most likely its going to crash your game- despite what you hear (that such and such works fine...). If you buy Vista, get it for a very widely bought, common, reputable computer, so you know things probably won't go wrong. I'd like to put XP onto this very computer I'm typing on! :thumbsup:

VISTA SUCKS :down:

Steve don't do it!! :o

ADDED: BTW I didn't notice any other Vista threads, so yeah.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

I bought Vista a while ago but never installed it. Now that SP1 is out, it's time to think it over again at least. Are there any advantages to Vista over XP for playing games like NWN2, The Witcher and Gothic 3 (for example)?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I have Vista on one PC and XP on another, and so far I have been happy with both of them. Of course, I actually did some research and found out what would be needed to run Vista, and some games, properly - and managed to get something that works for less than $1,000. The minimum system requirements for Vista Basic are much lower than those for any other version* -disregarding the starter version for developing countries- and the recommended specs are even higher**. I would suspect that the people who are yelling about SP1 do not have the necessary hardware, or did not bother to check if their drivers were compatible with the update.

800 MHz

512 MB RAM

DirectX 9 capable

N/A

20 GB

15 GB

CD-ROM

Vs.

1.0 GHz

1 GB RAM

DirectX 9 capable GPU with Hardware Pixel Shader v2.0 and WDDM 1.0 driver support

128 MB RAM supports up to 2,756,000 total pixels (e.g. 1920

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Who voted 5? :thumbsup: Edit: And for that matter who voted 1? that has to be either a relatively ignorant vote, or did Vista kill his mother?

I have Vista and think it is better than XP by miles, read D_N's post for clarification on how you too can enjoy Vista goodness.

Are there any advantages to Vista over XP for playing games like NWN2, The Witcher and Gothic 3 (for example)?

DirectX 10? Otherwise I belive that there is still a slight FPS decrease, but anyone with a reasonable (i.e. probably in the area of recommended specs) computer for those games won't notice it.

I have had one game crash that I think was vista related, whereas I had hundreds from XP all the way until I changed to Vista.

I was going to vote 3, as Vista while being relatively solid provides little new for me, I changed it to a 4 because it really is that much better than XP, for me.

Edit2: I could also mention that my only incompatibility issue with vista was Gothic 2, which refuses to run on any Vista machine, though that is a relatively minor issue.

Edit3: That is, the only true incompatibility, the rest is solved by always starting programs as an administrator and a few with XP compatibility.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I don't have Vista, but I don't think it's awesome or terrible. Also, I don't want to get it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't have Vista, since I still haven't upgraded my 'puters enough to warrant bothering with it. Always something else more important to spend the cash on lately, instead. :sorcerer: I think by the time SP2 is released, I'd be ready to try it out then. But I'd still keep an XP PC around. heh

I suspect I probably would find some things very irritating about Vista and grumble a lot at first, but overall I'd eventually get used to it - pretty much par for the course for all Windows O/S, imo. Still, I'm in no hurry. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't have Vista, but I don't think it's awesome or terrible. Also, I don't want to get it.

You're a puzzle.

It's just that Vista doesn't have any use for me. XP fulfills all my working needs, runs all games I can throw at it and without any kind of stability issues. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Heja Sverige!!

Exactly. Stick with the practical XP until Vista's bugs are worked out.

Exactly what "bugs" are you talking about? The issue you brought up in the original topic affected XP as well as Vista, and you have provided no other examples.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'll echo Pidesco's comment.

A couple of my work-mates seem okay with Vista. One guy enjoys the control it gives him in regards to controlling what his kids can do with the computer.

If I was to get Vista, I'd take the lesson I learned from XP and get the Ultimate edition (I have XP Pro). However nothing I currently run requires an upgraded memory space or a native 64-bit code environment, the two main reasons I'd ever consider Vista.

Time will tell, but with XP's SP3 coming up and official support continuing for another year or two, I might end up skipping Vista like I skipped Windows ME.

We've been over this a hundred times, but Ill state my reason for not using Vista again:

1. It's noticeably slower than WinXP

2. It's incompatible with alot of proffessional graphics software

And thats more than enough reasons not to use it. Vista is a home users OS, not meant for work.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Love Vista here. Nice and fast as XP (with some brute force hardware needed). Its 64-bit iteration addresses my 4-gigs of RAM, making things seem extra snappy. 3D Aero interface is nice. It's the only OS that supports 3-way SLI, so more graphics bang than XP. DX10 is a bit shabby and pointless right now, so that's a minus.

Edited by Bokishi

If you buy Vista, get it for a very widely bought, common, reputable computer, so you know things probably won't go wrong.

So I guess build your own, or buying a powerful, yet also rare-ish, PC, that would have no problems handling Vista, would not be a good idea. :p

-Hurlshot

In my experience with Windows OSes since 3.x I have to say that Vista is the most stable I have come across. Vista is better than 95, 98, ME, and XP.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I bought a new computer recently and I saw no reason not to go with the new OS. Whatever personal opinions are, it's the OS of the future and eventually Microsoft will pull back its support of XP. It seems like a pretty simple choice, but it's not one you need to make until you upgrade your computer. And seriously, if you haven't upgraded in a couple years, you will need to do so in the next couple years anyways.

Every OS is pretty shaky in the first year, but the growing pains seem to be pretty much past us, so I don't see the big deal.

I bought a new computer recently and I saw no reason not to go with the new OS. Whatever personal opinions are, it's the OS of the future and eventually Microsoft will pull back its support of XP. It seems like a pretty simple choice, but it's not one you need to make until you upgrade your computer. And seriously, if you haven't upgraded in a couple years, you will need to do so in the next couple years anyways.

Every OS is pretty shaky in the first year, but the growing pains seem to be pretty much past us, so I don't see the big deal.

Odds are, if you wait 2 years, you will finally be able to get Windows 7 (formerly known as "Vienna", formerly known as "Blackcomb") which began development in 1999. Lots of trouble kept/keeps postponing Vienna and resulted in Vista being released as... not sure what it's purpose is really. A stop gap thing to ensure people buy Microsoft products? If possible, I would like to wait and skip Vista alltogether ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How do you know that 7 will come out anytime soon? How do you know that 7 won't be even more shaky than vista? Surely you are being irrational by putting your faith in a completely unknown future. What are you gonna do if 7 proves to be shaky, wait for the next itteration of windows ad infinitum?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

That's if you buy a new computer altogether. If you keep upgrading your existing computer instead of buying a new one, getting Vista seems like a waste of a lot of money.

Heja Sverige!!

I think Vista is a terrible piece of software, but compatibility issues have nothing to do with it. In fact, I believe that in order to create a clean new version of a product, backwards compatibility must sometimes be compromised. It's very difficult to improve the quality of a product if it is constantly bogged down by BC requirements. Both Microsoft and Intel have had to suffer due to absolutely unreasonable customer demands on BC. As Nighshade has shown, Vista still does a reasonable job of maintaining BC with legacy software.

Unless game developers are stupid enough to stop providing XP compatibility, I have nothing to worry about. I'm sure I'll get along with my Firefox and my games just fine..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!