No One Lives Forever 1

Humodour

I'm about 1/3 to 1/2 through NOLF1 (just hopped on the boat). Anway, I'm going to restart it on hard but I had a few questions:

What are the bonus awards, and when and how do you get them? E.g. health bonus, accuracy bonus. I've heard they give benefits? What does the reputation bonus do?

Any special tricks or tips for some of the less used items, like lipstick, coins, berrete (seems it's a silent kill if I can sneak right up behind them and strike a blow to the head without being detected - rather limited use, really), corpse remover, etc?

What're your favourite basic weapons? I find myself using the silenced pistol almost exclusively. Anything I'm missing?

Really enjoying the game so far. I've seen better in some regards (Bloodlines, DX, SS2), but regardless of what it was at the time, it's still pretty awesome even now. The humour is pretty decent.

And I've heard reloading cancels the mission bonuses?

Edited by Krezack

Underrated FPS, but the stealth mechanics were pretty tacked on.

For the time they were pretty decent. I mean, I'm playing this game now for the first time and the stealth still seems better than most games offer. Actually, not many games offer stealth. Still, it's about the same as DX's. And at least the guards don't return to duty like nothing happened, even when there is a body lying in front of them (*cough* Deus Ex).

I've never played Thief, though, so maybe that has better stealth.

In other news, I FINALLY have copies of Anachronox and NOLF2.

Krezack... are you *really* sure that this belongs here? :o

Edit: Moved to Computer & Console

Edited by Gorth
Moved thread

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh, yeah, Theif kicks NOLF clean out of the water on the stealth front, but Theif is a stealth game, not an FPS with stealth elements.

The problem is that in Theif, you're stealthy because if you're not, you're dead, while in NOLF a lot of the stealth was stealth for stealths sake, when it was often quicker and easier just to run and gun. I don't think I played on the highest difficalty though, so that could well be why.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Oh, yeah, Theif kicks NOLF clean out of the water on the stealth front, but Theif is a stealth game, not an FPS with stealth elements.

The problem is that in Theif, you're stealthy because if you're not, you're dead, while in NOLF a lot of the stealth was stealth for stealths sake, when it was often quicker and easier just to run and gun. I don't think I played on the highest difficalty though, so that could well be why.

Yes, that is true. Indeed, I felt the game was lacking 'zest' in combat, which is why I'm replaying on hard; hopefully that keeps me on my toes and gives a reason for stealth. Still, I'm afraid to play on Superspy; I've never been a fan of masochism, which I think that would be.

Krezack... are you *really* sure that this belongs here? :o

Edit: Moved to Computer & Console

Eh? Where did I put it? :p

Eh? Where did I put it? :p

Way off-topic :o

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd say NOLF is just a better Half-Life. Considering everyone and their mothers think Half-Life is Teh Greatazt, I don't see how anyone can have any reasons to criticize NOLF.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Man, oldschool. I remember loving the SMG. Underrated FPS, but the stealth mechanics were pretty tacked on.

I found the stealth mechanics to be similar to something like GoldenEye for the N64, which "let" us sneak around, but typically going full auto worked just as well. Stealth was typically just shooting people with a silenced pistol so you could kill at your leisure.

Pretty much, yeah, the only level in Goldeneye where stealth was useful was the facility one where you start in the prision, on the highest difficulty.

It was the only way I was able to complete it anyway.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Well, I finished NOLF1. It was a great game.

I've started NOLF2, am up to the start of the Siberia area (snowmobile). NOLF2 doesn't seem as good. The stealth mechanics seem less balanced and the stealth pistol which was gold in NOLF1 is pretty useless in NOLF2 - even when I aim right at their heads at point blank range it somehow hits their limbs or body instead most of the time.

Meh. Something about the game doesn't seem as cool; it seems more linear as well. You can't choose what weapons you take on a mission anymore, which seriously bums me.

Does it get better? I guess I'm only at the start.

Well, I finished NOLF1. It was a great game.

I've started NOLF2, am up to the start of the Siberia area (snowmobile). NOLF2 doesn't seem as good. The stealth mechanics seem less balanced and the stealth pistol which was gold in NOLF1 is pretty useless in NOLF2 - even when I aim right at their heads at point blank range it somehow hits their limbs or body instead most of the time.

Meh. Something about the game doesn't seem as cool; it seems more linear as well. You can't choose what weapons you take on a mission anymore, which seriously bums me.

Does it get better? I guess I'm only at the start.

Regarding openness, I felt that NOLF2 was a bit more open than NOLF1. The difference was minimal, though. As for the choice of mission weapons

Ab, it did annoy me as well that it disappeared.out stealth and shooting, like everything else it's affected by the value of your 'RPG' stats, which didn't exist in NOLF1. Personally, I thought that the game lost a bit with the introduction of the RPG system. First there was the problem you've mentioned, and second it made intelligence gathering about point collecting which, to me, didn't fit the game at all. I still finished the ninja level stealthily, though.

Bottom line is I didn't like it at much as NOLF1. However, it still has great characters, great set pieces, it's still very funny, and it still catches the sixties spy thing. Also, I really loved the engine at the time, I loved Cate's new design, and it has a few things that added to the NOLF1 experience like the kicking over objects thing, or the possibility of unscrewing light bulbs. And it's still better than Half Life.

Heja Sverige!!

And it's still better than Half Life.

Considering that they are quite far apart (in the warped time of video game releases) and being quite different games, is that really a fair comparison?

They're both FPSes, only NOLF gave you more gameplay options. And just the fighting in itself is much better than in HL 1 and 2. Why wouldn't it be a fair comparison?

Heja Sverige!!

I agree about NOLF games beating HL 1 out of the water.

But HL 2, no.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Other than the physics, and the storyline not being told through cutscenes, I don't see what HL2 had to offer that topped NOLF1 or 2.

Heja Sverige!!

Considering that they are quite far apart (in the warped time of video game releases) and being quite different games, is that really a fair comparison?

They're both FPSes, only NOLF gave you more gameplay options. And just the fighting in itself is much better than in HL 1 and 2. Why wouldn't it be a fair comparison?

I don't think HL1 and NOLF are the same type of game. HL1 was all about survival, science, and a weird alien invasion. The atmosphere was completely different, the story was completely different, and the theme was completely different. The shooter aspect was the only tie, and on that HL1 beats NOLF. NOLF had great shooter elements and lots of innovations HL1 didn't have, but in terms of pure FPS style, HL1 took the cake, IMHO.

And HL1 beats the socks off HL2 - that game was just more of the same, but somehow also less of the good same.

My list of all-time favourite FPS's so far would be:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

System Shock 2

Deus Ex 1

No One Lives Forever 1

Half-Life 1

Heh, I'm beginning to understand how greatly our tastes differ:

My all time list:

Thief:The Dark Project

Halo series(particularly 1 and 3)

Aliens vs. Predator 2

Half Life 2

Clive Barker's Undying

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I don't think HL1 and NOLF are the same type of game. HL1 was all about survival, science, and a weird alien invasion. The atmosphere was completely different, the story was completely different, and the theme was completely different. The shooter aspect was the only tie, and on that HL1 beats NOLF. NOLF had great shooter elements and lots of innovations HL1 didn't have, but in terms of pure FPS style, HL1 took the cake, IMHO.

And HL1 beats the socks off HL2 - that game was just more of the same, but somehow also less of the good same.

My list of all-time favourite FPS's so far would be:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

System Shock 2

Deus Ex 1

No One Lives Forever 1

Half-Life 1

NOLF1 had better AI, had location based damage, and better level design than HL1. With this in mind, how can you say that the combat in HL1 was better than in NOLF?

Also, my list:

No One Lives Forever 1/2

System Shock 2

Deus Ex

Thief

AvP

Quake 1 multiplayer

Heja Sverige!!

Quake 1 multiplayer

u r an hero

Anyway, my list is missing Goldeneye 64, but that's not really for here or now. Carry on.

kirottu said: