some small images from Game Informer online

Wow, almost too tiny to tell anything.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Having read the GI article, I came away with a few impressions:

1) The dialogue system is in some ways similiar to Mass Effect but different. What your PC says is not written on screen but is chosen based on three archetypal personas.

-A. What James Bond would say.

-B. What Jason Bourne would say.

-C. What Jack Bauer would say.

However, I'm a little confused as to whether it is explicitly stated just what each choice will do/say? And will we have more than three options?

2) I certainly like the premise for romance in this game. There is none! It's just gonna be a shag fest James Bond style. No cringe-inducing courtship rituals ala Bioware.

3) If this game will be released roughly one year from now, will Obsidian have enough time for polish? They can't have been working on it for too long. Plus, if they actually will have time for polish, will this be a surperlatively short game? How much content can they produce for a game that uses the Unreal Engine 3 with such a relatively short development period? It took Bioware many years to produce ME.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Project Georgia's been worked on for at least since NWN2 came out, yes?

And no, they wouldn't be able to actually use the trademarks of Bond / Bourne / Bauer. They'll probably have "suave / utilitarian / savage" options. Which admittedly makes the dialogue system sound incredibly facile.

Edited by Pop

Well, I remember that Avellone was the Creative Lead for Aliens before he bailed to be Lead Designer for P. Georgia. This wasn't too long ago was it? Maybe he was working on both titles concurrently before concentrating fully on Alpha. Still, my understanding is that being Lead Designer is a full time job, as is being a Creative Lead. Or was there some serious project personnel shuffling going ons behind the closed doors of OE?

For that matter, is Alpha Protocol scheduled to be released before Aliens?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

*In awe*

Man, do you have everything written by/about any OE dev cross-referenced, catalogued, and organized into some master database, and easily recalled at your instant beckoning?

It appears MCA is in the same boat Josh helmed with NWN2, yes.

We'll just have to see how much of a problem Holmes' departure will spell for AP. For NWN2, Ferret (that was his name, right?) splitting caused a whole lot of cut content.

Edited by Pop

Brian Mitsoda is Creative Lead, if that helps any.

(although I'm sure MCA was involved in the origins of the game somehow. Isn't he like head of creative at Obs or something?)

Also, I don't think Ferret splitting is what caused the cut content. I'd guess they were behind schedule and stuff needed to be cut, regardless of who was heading the project. Maybe more could have been kept if Ferret had stayed, with him being more up to speed and all, but then again the rest of the team should have had a decent grasp on things I guess.

Mmm... foot *munch munch*

Well, there is still about one year worth of development time so MCA should have enough time to leave some blueprint on final product and not only "let's make this damn **** work somehow" a la NWN2 and Sawyer

And hasn't Mitsoda been lead writer for this game from the very beginning?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

And hasn't Mitsoda been lead writer for this game from the very beginning?

And I hope he still is!

So, development started in March 06, and it will be released roughly 3 years later. That's quite some time, considering they already use a middle ware technology. But then again, art assets and experimentation in design always takes a lot time. I'm glad Obsidian found a publisher willing to support a new IP that just needs a fair budget and time.

Yeah, SEGA is far from bad publishers :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Sega needs to build connections with popular online blogs like Kotaku, or the folks at Penny Arcade for minimum cost of marketing IMO.

Unfortunitly Sega and Kotaku will never happen, the writers at Kotaku would rather put negitive spin on just about every Sega announcment since they droped from hardware...

As for Marketing, Sega have stepped up a lot this year and last a good number of games have had TV commercials. By the time Alpha Protocol ships Segas Marketing will be as healthy as it used to be I'm sure of it. AP and Alien RPG will get strong marketing campaigns for sure. (Probably TV commercials)