Final Fantasy VII,a game with bad graphics but great gameplay

The Owner

I totally love this game, 3 disks of entertainment that keep u busy fodr a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, for that matter, I haven't even beaten it yet. Another way to respond to this would b to tell me what other games u think r great or mayb way better than this one.

I wont b offended if u think I'm wrong

"we settle our score now...."

- Bass EXE

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Final Fantasy VII's gameplay is, to me, fairly awful and uninspired.

This thread has a very high chance of going south.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, even gameplay sucks but it is somewhat addicting.

Pieces that make up the game are ****, but sum of its parts is ok. I don't know, maybe this is prime example of philosophical emergence

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I played it to death when I was ten, actually. It was wonderfully addictive and actually pretty atmospheric (look, when you're ten, its a throw-up between Pokemon, Digimon and FF for immersiveness). Now, of course, it's hard to stomach all the pointless walking around, clicking 'X' past the railroad dialogue and fighting all those crappy battles.

I still play FFV/VI from time to time actually - I just use the emulators' speed function to walk ridiculously fast and take care of random encounters in 3 seconds of 'dododododoop'.

I played it to death when I was ten, actually. It was wonderfully addictive and actually pretty atmospheric (look, when you're ten, its a throw-up between Pokemon, Digimon and FF for immersiveness). Now, of course, it's hard to stomach all the pointless walking around, clicking 'X' past the railroad dialogue and fighting all those crappy battles.

I still play FFV/VI from time to time actually - I just use the emulators' speed function to walk ridiculously fast and take care of random encounters in 3 seconds of 'dododododoop'.

That makes sense as a ten year would more or less be FF7's target demographic. However, it kind of irks me when adults, even young ones, talk of FFVII like it's some kind of high point in storytelling.

It was just a "look at the nice graphics!!!" fest.

Heja Sverige!!

The gameplay was well passable at the time. The story's not grand, but it's good. What's best is the characters. Each of whom are all generally likeable with their own stories to tell. It's not so much that it's one great story, it's that it is multiple good stories.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

FFVII happened to come along at a certain time in my generation's life, such that a relatively small group of people consider just about the best thing ever because it was a formative gaming experience (with me, it was either Full Throttle, Civ 2 or Rise of the Triad) but it seems like the more level-headed gamers tend to think it's merely good. Some even claim it's the demarcation between FF's golden age (which would be, I don't know, 3-6) and its decline into so much melodrama.

It has a good story. Even now I would contend that its story is pretty good - certainly better than most of the Hollywood drivel. It isn't the Great High Point of RPG Storytelling or anything like that, but it's entertaining and well made.

Pop's right about that it was also the first big 3D RPG on the Playstation, and Squaresoft used FMV's to devastating effect. It was, literally, 'cool'.

I played FF7 when I was in college. I played the PC version. This was the time I was first exposed to RPGs in general, since I started playing the Infinity Engine games around this time.

Up until that point, I was happy just playing Starcraft, and FPS games. Although Starcraft intrigued me with the single player campaign.

Something about the general atmosphere pulled me in. It was probably because the whole JRPG thing was new to me. The cast of characters was likable but I didn't grow attached to Aeris or Sephiroth like a lot of people seem to. It was hard to take the characters seriously with their super-deformed art style and enormous eyes. Ah well.

However I liked the combat and music walking around the world map exploring and leveling up. It was a new and novel experience at the time. It actually made me go back and play FF6, which I enjoyed a lot more. I tried FF5 and FF4 but didn't get far. The last FF game I played to completion is FF8, but I cheated using an editor because I didn't want to waste time drawing magic. FF10...I couldn't stand the random battles. FF12 I enjoyed at first, but lost interest midway. I should go back and finish it.

All in all, FF7 was a great game when I played it, but I don't think I could play it again now.

I think FF6 holds up better. I'm actually playing FF6 advance on my DS and am finding it really enjoyable.

It was hard to take the characters seriously with their super-deformed art style and enormous eyes. Ah well.

The best part was when I fired up the game with my best friend, and his response was, "They have no elbows!".

The next thirty minutes consisted of speculations about how a short bugger with yo-yo forearms could swing a sword large enough to fry two swordfish and a whale on.

Azure, FF6 was probably the most 'complete' FF game yet, in terms of size, things to do, battle system, FF traditions (Biggs/Wedge, moogle, etc), story and NPC. FF5 I enjoy, but the story is absolute crap; in fact, it was only good for one thing, the Job System. Now that Final Fantasy Tactics is available, I wouldn't bother. Before that, with FF4 and such, they're not very good and it is *very* dated.

I started my RPG fixation with FF7/8 when I was 10/11, and enjoyed FF9, but by then I was moving onto IE games and Fallout, and waiting for NWN. I did make it a point to pummel through FF10 and FF12 (half a week each) just to see what they were like - which is what I did with Jade Empire and will do with Mass Effect. I feel that the later iterations of FF, just like the post-NWN bioware games, are suffering from too much obsession with cinematic storytelling and just becoming another Hollywood flick. That's not to say sickening cliches didn't exist back in the old days, but still.

I keep seeing "I played FFVII when I was 10" and the only thing running through my head is JUST HOW GOD DAMN OLD I AM?! Jesus christmas.

I'm too young for you people to make me feel old.

I can't say I like 6 more. I've played 6 3 times and I can never bother playing very far past the end of the world. It's terribly awesome up until that point. But shortly thereafter it starts to feel like the game is phoning it in.

Edited by Tale

Somehow, the very fact that it's Final Fantasy makes me suspend all my usual RPG senses and go with the flow.

Japamagick.

I've never had a good thing to say about FF7... Kaftan would probably be kinder than me towards the game.

Out of some kind of personal interest (I don't wanna get banned) I will simply say... I thought it was ****.

If a game can upset you that much, you probably should unclench a little.

Y'know, I tried FF8 once. My friend adn i fired it up, went threw a whole lot of crappy movies, and if i recall, it took half an hour to get to the first fight, or more. And you had absolutely no idea what was goin on..............

- Bass EXE

Also, i predict this will get off topic after a few more replies and a moderator will say, "This is getting off topic bye bye.", but obviously they'll word it differently

- Bass EXE

Y'know, I tried FF7 once. My friend adn i fired it up, went threw a whole lot of crappy movies, and if i recall, it took half an hour to get to the first fight, or more. And you had absolutely no idea what was goin on..............

Fixed.

Heja Sverige!!