Combat

i liked the little stealth portion in Red Faction 1 ;)

Oh dear god, please no.

what, i'm not saying it was brilliant or anything, but it was a nice little break from the generic run and gun formula

hiding bodies, keeping your weapon holstered, and not getting close enough to guards for them to recognise you

done well, it can be very good

Um fair enough. To be honest, I hated that bit of the game, though. I'm a stealth fan, I just don't think they implemented it well at all.

Will unarmed be an option only really available to stealth characters, or will you be able fight "River Tam" style with masses of opponents?

YES!

Edited by Krezack

Will unarmed be an option only really available to stealth characters, or will you be able fight "River Tam" style with masses of opponents?

Just exaggerate the melee from Uncharted. That'd be nice!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sorry my odd wording, I came back from girlfriend's a bit tired and what was initially just a plea for the lack of nightstick became muddled into suggestion of more intricate stealth.

Anyway, my point was that there shouldn't be, as Tigranes greatly put it, "a dark closet with six or seven bodies squeezed in there". It would be nice to have a consistent world that challenges the player to use a whole arsenal of tools and elements, instead of a single foolproof one.

I used to like the puzzle-like method of levelmaking,

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Please, PLEASE don't let there be any psionic/magic/plasmid/whatever powers in this game! Just an all out believable story (except for the stuff where you get shot a billion times and survive , of course) without anything supernatural..

Oh, and PLEASE get a lot of inspiration from Deus Ex. Play it during work days. Play it during nights. Play it during breakfast. Play it while having sex with your girlfriends. PLAY IT! CONSTANTLY!

Oh my god I just realized my new nirvana. That would be awesome!!!

According to Chris Parker, quoted on briosafreak's blog:

"We knew we wanted to do something different. Something that didn’t involve a d20 system, and with more action. Something faster paced, more compelling, and that did a better job blending player skills with character skill."

Player skills? I'm required to have skills? Do I look like a rogue spy? Is it like The Witcher, where you have to click the left mouse button at regular intervals, or am I going to have to aim things at things? I don't think I could manage that. :p

That quote is also in the GI article, and later in the GI article it says this:

"Since the team wants to blend player skill with character skill, the whole shooting mechanic doesn't rest solely on you lining up headshots." Then it goes into a description of the critical hit system (which is not comprised of aim for the head)

So it seems likely that they mean that the normal FPS style completely-self-sufficient firearm using where your character's skill is entirely based on your own will be backed away from and replaced with a system where much of your accuracy is determined by the character.

Edited by Cycloneman
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Thanks, that's somewhat reassuring. I did manage Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines reasonably well, after all. It would be quite nice if they could, in addition to the normal difficulty slider, they had an FPS/RPG slider - the more you push the slider over towards FPS, the more accuracy depends on player skill, and vice-versa.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

But I remember hearing Sawyer saying that he disliked the accuracy mechanisms in both Bloodlines AND Deus Ex.

So it sounds like he's trying to make some lame FPS die roll for accuracy like Bethesda is with FO3, but I guess I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Personally there's nothing more annoying than the idea of seeing my shot arbitrarily miss because, while my cross-hair was perfectly lined with their head, I failed a dice roll.

But I remember hearing Sawyer saying that he disliked the accuracy mechanisms in both Bloodlines AND Deus Ex.

So it sounds like he's trying to make some lame FPS die roll for accuracy like Bethesda is with FO3, but I guess I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Personally there's nothing more annoying than the idea of seeing my shot arbitrarily miss because, while my cross-hair was perfectly lined with their head, I failed a dice roll.

The currently mentioned mechanic for critical hits is you line up your reticle and wait a couple seconds while it and another circle meet then fire. You can pre-load assault rifle crits.

So no die roll.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

The currently mentioned mechanic for critical hits is you line up your reticle and wait a couple seconds while it and another circle meet then fire. You can pre-load assault rifle crits.

So no die roll.

Thank god. In an FPS setting, innovative cross-hair design is far more welcome than arbitrary die rolls.

For that reason I liked Deus Ex's system of cross-hair size determining accuracy, and things like movement, intoxication, limb damage, weapon type and skill level determining cross-hair size.

Everything sounds great so far, and this is quickly becoming one of my most anticipated titles.

My only worry is the animation. So far, the only two games that impressed me this generation on animation are Aassasin's Creed and Uncharted.

I'm hoping we get some nice, fluid animations when it comes to the main character's movements. Especially the hand to hand combat scenes.

Everything sounds great so far, and this is quickly becoming one of my most anticipated titles.

My only worry is the animation. So far, the only two games that impressed me this generation on animation are Aassasin's Creed and Uncharted.

I'm hoping we get some nice, fluid animations when it comes to the main character's movements. Especially the hand to hand combat scenes.

Hello Jason,

I loved your work in Berlin.

Best wishes and hope you get passed the whole "being a cold-blooded assassin thing."

Your friend,

Monty

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

No problem, but it isn't like I really want to do them. :)

But are you really a developer on AP? If so, could you comment on the animation? :D

I work on Aliens, so I don't know much about animation on AP (also I work as a designer so I don't know much about animation generally).

I do know that we've got very talented animators at Obsidian.

I also agree that the animation in Assassin's Creed and Uncharted was awesome. Uncharted has been one of my favorite console games so far and the fluidity of movement combined with the camera system was a big part of that enjoyment.

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!