Obsid - 49 of 50

Pop

Availability

'Top 50 Developers' survey is now available for paid digital download for a price of US $2,995. Any questions about payment (you can also invoice us for this report), delivery methods, or further licensing of the data can be directed to Game Developer Research at research@gdmag.com.

What a steal! D/L-ing asap!

manthing2.jpg

Availability

'Top 50 Developers' survey is now available for paid digital download for a price of US $2,995. Any questions about payment (you can also invoice us for this report), delivery methods, or further licensing of the data can be directed to Game Developer Research at research@gdmag.com.

Haha, this is a bad joke! :lol:

I would say that OE deserves a better position.

The research isn't about who makes awesome games, if I've read it right, it's more about how random people rate them and how their games score with reviewers. And yes there is a difference between them.

You're right. And although I'd say Obsidian deserves to be ranked higher (much higher actually), I'm surprised they made it in the top 50. I still experience random encounters with forumites that are so sure Obsidian games suck that they'd dip their hands in lava. Of course, these are the people that think of Halo as the greatest game in existance and Oblivion as the deepest RPG ever...

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

And although I'd say Obsidian deserves to be ranked higher (much higher actually)...

Not really. Dont get me wrong, Obsidian have some great guys on their teams and I'm looking forward to all of their next games with the same glee that I reserve for only a few games a year, but Obisidan still needs to prove themselves as anything but a mediocre sequel developer. I realize that MotB is supposedly good, but I haven't played it yet, and it is an expansion pack and as such doesn't count for quite as much as a regular game.

If they release the Aliens RPG and Alpha Protocol as great games, then you can talk about putting them in the top 10, or wherever you want to put them.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

If they sell it to most of the companies on the list, they make just a little short of 150k, not bad.

I wonder how they compare a company that releases max 1-2 games a year to say Ubisofts 22 releases? And how are the "anonymous" industry professionals picked. Do you need to be best buddies with gamasutra to do well? I would insist on knowing the methology used before paying a cent for a report.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If they sell it to most of the companies on the list, they make just a little short of 150k, not bad.

That is true, they would make that, but chances are less than 1/4 of the companies on that list will actually pay for even 1 copy of the information. The pricing was probably figurd by a combination of how many they think they actually can sell, and what the market will bear as far as pricing. If the cost is too low, like $50, the significance of the document also goes down in value.

I do think that Obs should have gotten higher, but there are also a lot of people out there, who have no clue to even the BIG boys, much less obsidian.

Obisidan still needs to prove themselves as anything but a mediocre sequel developer. I realize that MotB is supposedly good, but I haven't played it yet, and it is an expansion pack and as such doesn't count for quite as much as a regular game.

If they release the Aliens RPG and Alpha Protocol as great games, then you can talk about putting them in the top 10, or wherever you want to put them.

It's all a point of view mate, depends what you're looking for in a game. Me for example, I think KotOR2 and NWN2 are above the original games by quite a bit, specially when it comes down to actual role-playing, story and feature set. Obsidian gets a lot of criticism for making buggy games and yes, that's a problem, but their games are far from mediocre. I'd sooner name Bethesda or Bioware's games as mediocre and generic than Obsdian's. And yes, MotB counts just as much as a full game. You rarely find an expansion that offers a solid 25-30 hours of top quality content; sh*t, you rarely find a full game that's 25-30 hours long these days anyway.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

• 2 weeks later...

The research isn't about who makes awesome games, if I've read it right, it's more about how random people rate them and how their games score with reviewers. And yes there is a difference between them.

You're right. And although I'd say Obsidian deserves to be ranked higher (much higher actually), I'm surprised they made it in the top 50. I still experience random encounters with forumites that are so sure Obsidian games suck that they'd dip their hands in lava. Of course, these are the people that think of Halo as the greatest game in existance and Oblivion as the deepest RPG ever...

Everyone has a right to their own opinions and enjoyment. If someone tells me they think Battle Raper is a superior fighting game to Tekken 4, i'll think they are nuts but who am I to tell them their opinions are any less valid then mine?

• 4 weeks later...

Great way to generalize people who don't think highly of OE's games. I dislike KOTOR2, NWN2, and NWN2: MotB for their relative low quality compared to the originals. At the same time, I dislike Halo and think Oblivion has a lot of room for improvement even with all the fluffy and powerful mods available for dl.

Next time, refrain from labeling people as tasteless when they happen to not like OE's productions.

Obisidan still needs to prove themselves as anything but a mediocre sequel developer. I realize that MotB is supposedly good, but I haven't played it yet, and it is an expansion pack and as such doesn't count for quite as much as a regular game.

It's all a point of view mate, depends what you're looking for in a game. Me for example, I think KotOR2 and NWN2 are above the original games by quite a bit, specially when it comes down to actual role-playing, story and feature set. Obsidian gets a lot of criticism for making buggy games and yes, that's a problem, but their games are far from mediocre. I'd sooner name Bethesda or Bioware's games as mediocre and generic than Obsdian's. And yes, MotB counts just as much as a full game. You rarely find an expansion that offers a solid 25-30 hours of top quality content; sh*t, you rarely find a full game that's 25-30 hours long these days anyway.

I am not sure which part of KOTOR2 and NWN2 are above the original games. KOTOR2's not finished. NWN2 has a crappy UI. Granted MotB is a large improvement, it's still a far cry from HotU in terms of story telling, plot, theme, and gameplay.

And no, there are tonnes of games and expansions out there that offer more than 30 hours of quality gameplay.

I dislike KOTOR2, NWN2, and NWN2: MotB for their relative low quality compared to the originals.

I disagree - all of the game you mentioned are the same as, if not better than, the relevant prequel.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I think this has got off-topic and that the original topic has run its course. Please feel free to discuss the merits and flaws of Obsidian's and others' games over in the Computer and Console forum. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)