BREAKING NEWS: ALPHA PROTOCOL - OBSIDIAN MMORPG

Llyranor

-Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again.

This is all well and good, if we totally disregard the fact that people could just save before the conversation. Doesn't it just become a hassle?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

-Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again.

This is all well and good, if we totally disregard the fact that people could just save before the conversation. Doesn't it just become a hassle?

Check and mate, Obsidian. Choices are meaningless as long as you can save the game.

Edited by Pop

Use checkpoint saving or don't realize the consequences from dialog until later.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sounds like a step backwards in CRPG design if we cannot make our own character. Hey, Obsidian, its 2008, not 1999. Seriously, I like to make my own character and not play the developers' character. Why couldn't Obsidian pull what Bioware did with ME? It works surprisingly well.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I've seen at least two devs pass this thread by without so much as posting a joke. I don't know how to take that.

<.>

>.>

There is so much I want to know about this. But a year away! Gah! Good luck.

I'm kind of hoping they'll go for a James Bond feel. The mention of femmes as a point of the game leans towards that. Though a Mission Impossible feel would be good too. The last game that really did a superspy feel well was Snake Eater. The gameplay in that was classic MGS, but the music, opening movie (even stealing the style of Bond openings), setting, and much else was Cold War era spy.

Edited by Tale

From that little blurb that Llyr posted I am not exactly all that excited about this game. It has PS:T's fatal flaw and I don't particularly think it fits in what I consider modern CRPGs.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

You and like 5 other people in the world.

Your point?

Personally, I like to make my own character because it allows me have a sense of ownership of that character. Also, if I am going to look at a butt for 30 to 40 hours in a game I would like to play a female character, you know. For some odd reason I find male butts unappealing.

Then try looking at something other than the character's ass.

I occasionally do but when it is always on screen it is hard not to notice it. But, hey, if you like to see a male butt get 30 to 40 hours of screen time who am I to judge?

As long as my character actually can pat the female love interest on the back and say "Run along now. Man-talk", then i am content.

For those who wondered about the silly comments about female NPC's, remember that The Witcher sold 600 000 copies in Eastern Europe alone. These things are the norm nowadays :thumbsup:

Also, the main character's mentor or senior superior should be voiced by Sean Connery.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sounds awesome. The explanation of the dialogue choices is a bit strange though, I understand it as pressing emoticons instead of dialogue lines?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So it's a mmog with 6 million Michael Thorton's running around farming for their gold desert eagles

you can take your gold desert eagle, i'm gonna be farming for a platinum deagle! :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The overall direction of having a spy-themed RPG sounds like a lot of fun. The 'Mass Effect'-ish combat and dialogue system (well, we don't know to much about it yet, but) does not.

While this can still be good (I'm sure writing will be great with Avellone and Mitsoda at least), I have to admit that I share the same worries as Zoma. By this small blurb of info, it sounds like it's sort of following in the footsteps of Mass Effect in terms of gameplay. I really hope that it will feel like its own game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I hope this is true. I know a number of people on these forums, myself included, think there should be more RPGs set in the real world, either the modern day or in history, and without magic or 'the Force' or whatever it was called in Mass Effect. I think it opens more possibilities than it closes.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

A little tricky to make a believale real world RPG to be honest.

For example, magical potions that instantly recovers character's HP is acceptable in fantasy game. Doing the same with medikits in a modern world RPG seems to be out of place to be honest.

Hopefully they have a gameplay system specifically suitable for modern world RPG. Using Jagged Alliance 2's health system seems to be more appropriate. Just my personal opinion though.

Male-only protagonist? Meh. Hopefully, there is a largely non-combat path in this game. I.e. even when you do absolutely need to kill somebody (and there should be only a few such cases) you can use stealth and indirect means - poisoning, setting a bomb, etc. to do so. Oh, and I really hope that they have climbing. Stealth without climbing never works well and it irritates the blazes out of me that a supposedly highly-trained hero can't do something that a thoroughly average person can do in RL.

Otherwise very interesting. I agree that RL RPGs are sorely missed. I would have preferred one where combat is a last resort rather than a core gameplay mechanics though. And where they would use disguise / puzzle design of the Hitman series to gain information rather than to murder. as well as Bloodlines-like dialog. The protagonist could be a journalist, a private detective or a more "realistic" spy who can't afford to dispatch regiments of enemies and still remain in the trade. Oh, well. It is a start, I suppose. Just remember to make it finished and stable, Obsidian!

Edited by maia

The whole idea with using static HP to represent damage taken is obsolete in todays computer games. The system used in Gears of War, Mass Effect or CoD4 is much smoother. No more medkits, no resting in the middle of a level and no more dying frrom a flybite because a previous encounter took 95% of your health bar.

And yes, more contemporary game settings please. We've been wading in the same fantasy muck since 1982.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

HP regen sounds ideal for modern RPG standards if executed right.

Perhaps allowing damage to affect a PC's attributes depending where he is shot at (The change of attributes is dependent on the severity of injury in the respective locations. Arm injury means lowers accuracy and melee damage, leg injury would result in crippled state that disallows the PC to run, head injury would cause vision distortion and slower actions, torso injury would reduce fatigue level.) until treated in safety.

Your character won't die that easily as his HP regenerates, but if the player does not treat the PC's wounds that affects his attributes, arm injury for example, the odds is against the player to a degree in any combat situation. Even far more if the PC's injuries are compounded with a severe leg injury and such.

This system though might affect the flow of the game to a degree, but it could very well make use of some RPG elements available to play its significance.