Rest in Peace, Gary Gygax

Sand

I'm just hoping that the guy playing him can cope.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I admit that my only real experience with D&D through the last 10 years, starting with Baldur's Gate has been the video games. They've hooked me though with the best ruleset and settings I've seen in RPGs.

I once read that Gygax was a teacher, and that any student who could beat him in a match of Age of Empires would receive an A for the semester. Coolest teacher ever. :sweat:

RiP

I love Ages of Empires. I would of tried for that A....

RIG (roll in grave)

Twitter | @Insevin

This is sad. I broke out and flipped through my old 1st ed books (yes I still have them from back in middle school) in his honor. He wrote or collaborated on every one. Like a few other mentioned he left a pretty lasting legacy behind.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Unfortunately I just heard the bad news. Like someone mentioned, a man who helped shape a generation is now gone. D&D is played all over the world by millions of people. With creating D&D he became a part of the lives of millions who played his game. And I would be lying if I said the man didn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Slate pulls a late hatchet job.

Conclusion: D&D Players are genocidal. Also, rapists. Also, meatheads.

Wait, so D&D is the new Grand Theft Auto?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wow...yeah...um...

I always thought D&D had mechanics in place to get XP for doing anything that the DM felt deserved XP (exactly like the GURPS example they use) not just for killing stuff.

Am I missing something?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We're discussing an article about him.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

Found out kinda late, from a notation in World of Warcraft's latest patch.

Good Bye Mr. Gygax, thanks for the game you helped make.

And yes, I agree Dark_Raven. Good thing he won't see what the rule version-upgrade addicts will do to the essense of D&D rules. Changes just to get $, "streamlining", and a easier interface with comptuter gaming. Course, maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

But I still say thief..not "rogue". He he.

Edited by Ross_Witchen