Who should I buy from: Cyberpower or Dell?

qaz156

Cyberpower Configuration:

CASE: Hot !!! Apevia X-Telstar Junior 420W Case w/ Temp Display and Fan Control (S Type Black Color with Side-Panel 250mm UV LED Fan)

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

Build it yourself. You'll save money.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with a FREE Poker Set!

How could that possible compare to getting Acrobat Reader 8.1 with the Dell?!?

The Cyberpower didn't list any operating system, is that an additional cost?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah. OS is additional. But I already own a copy of XP.

Oh, and the Mobo for Dell is a NVIDIA

Edited by qaz156

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

any particular reason why?

Never heard of Cyberpower. Go with Dell since its a major computer company plus they usually get good reviews for their PCs.

I build my own. This way I have what I want and none of that junk computer vendors may package or the cheap hardware they have installed.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I used to buy from them before I started building PCs. Where I work we have hundreds of Dells, and their failure rate is like 1 out of every 40

Is that good?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I just bought a system recently. At first I ordered from Dell. This was around November, and they delayed getting the machine to me twice with n clear explanation of why. They just kept pushing it back, and customer support could never tell me what was happening with the actual build process.

I cancelled and went with Alienware. It was more expensive, but they showed me a step by step breakdown of the build process. If they had trouble getting a specific part, they would contact me and allow me to adjust the order. Dell was missing all that. I received the system in good time and was extremely happy with the result. It's a great system.

I'm looking at your setup, and I think you are overpaying for the Cyberpower PC. If you spend that cash, you really should be getting a top of the line video card like the 8800 GTX. The GT is good but its mid-level good, not top of the line, and for 2k you deserve top of the line.

If your patient, I'd go Dell and upgrade that video card. If your impatient, I'd go Alienware.

Never heard of Cyberpower.

They have a fairly bad reputation when it comes to quality and quality control... :-

Two bad combinations there. I wouldn't do business with them.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I can attest to Dell reliability. In five years only _four_ lockups and no parts failure; on heavy usage.

However, the Del is a bitch to upgrade. They didn't even leave me with RAM slots on the motherboard not actually used in teh original build. I consider this just damned cheek, and won't buy from them again.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can attest to Dell reliability. In five years only _four_ lockups and no parts failure; on heavy usage.

However, the Del is a bitch to upgrade. They didn't even leave me with RAM slots on the motherboard not actually used in teh original build. I consider this just damned cheek, and won't buy from them again.

No complaints about reliability, performance, or service, but I have also had a difficult time upgrading a Dell. Had to take a hacksaw to the back of their non-standard case so that a new power supply would fit properly.

On the brightside, that experience gave me the resolve and confidence to do my first home-build. :thumbsup:

I've heard the XPS systems are easier to upgrade than previous Dell boxes. I think they were actually designed by Alienware as part of their partnership. Did those of you with upgrade issues have an XPS system?

I've heard the XPS systems are easier to upgrade than previous Dell boxes. I think they were actually designed by Alienware as part of their partnership. Did those of you with upgrade issues have an XPS system?

Negative. Mine was an office desktop build.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

here's my qualm with dell.

They use not so good and sometimes proprietary motherboards that are hard to upgrade. In this case they're using a an 650i, which is OKAY. But in SLI mode, the cards only run at x8. The flipside, is that the board runs well compared to its brother, the 680i, and is pretty reliable and battle tested. Dell likes to do that. But they tend to charge waaaay too much for what they offer. Firstly, the mobo is so-so. Secondly, they don't give you many options for customization. It's either, you buy this overpriced stuff. Or you buy this overpriced stuff with more overpriced upgrades. If you even try to downgrade your components, it gives you no credit, so they get to charge you the same price for lesser components.

I'm checking out the alienware site, and at least they offer better components it seems.

I'm also looking at Vigor Gaming. Reseller Rating is above 9 for lifetime!

Edited by qaz156

I don't think I've ever heard of Vigor.

HP's Blackbird has been getting good reviews in all the PC magazines. It was developed in conjunction with Voodoo. Falcon-Northwest is also probably the best high end boutique, although you need some serious cash for those babies. When I bought mine, I wanted a year with no interest or finance charges, since I didn't have the money on hand. Both Alienware and Dell offered great deals there (it's actually the same finance company.)