4E Rules: First Look

I already plan on getting the monster manual but I am more skeptic when it comes to the Phb and the DmG. The former might be quite useful since it contains all the feat, skill and spell descriptions. The latter seems less useful to me. Most of the DmG's contents can be found on the SRD, and the few information that is exclusive can be photocopied from a friend's book. All the supplements look useless as well: there's no way I am going to shuffle all these books during my gaming sessions. Besides, they usually tend to complicate the rules more than anything else.

I assume you are a DM. If so, the Monster Manual is really useful and so is the Player's Handbook. It is possible to run a game without them based on the SRD alone, but they really, really speed up play. The DMG, on the other hand, is an utterly useless book. It contains only three useful things, as far as I am concerned:

1) Condition Summary

2) Prestige Classes

3) Magic Items

Condition Summary can be printed/copied ahead of time - it is only short. Presitige Classes are only needed when characters advance, which generally occurs in-between sessions and thus the SRD should suffice for that and ditto for Magic Items (and I often make up my own types of magic items anyway).

I might buy the Oriental adventures campaign book though. It looks quite nice. What do you think of it?

I prefer Europe-based settings myself, but for Asian-themed settings it is a good investment.

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition to Launch June 7th

"Wizards of the Coast sent us over a press release this morning announcing plans to launch the 4th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons on June 7th. Details below:

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition goes interactive

Core Facts

With the death earlier this year of Gary Gygax, the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, one of the world's most iconic games became front page news around the world. With a following of over 25 million players worldwide since its conception in the 70s, Dungeons & Dragons has brought the magic and mystery of fantasy roleplaying to a global audience which includes celebrities such as Vin Diesel and Robin Williams.

June 7th sees the global launch of Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition with the addition of a new online, interactive element, allowing traditional play formats to be enhanced with unique web tools and content. DDI (D&D Interactive) is a suite of tools being rolled out with the launch of 4E, designed to make managing the game a bit easier, and allowing fans to play with one another remotely. The service includes some free elements, as well as some elements available as part of a paid subscription. Among the elements are:........"