phishing thought

Walsingham

Why not use 'poison' credit card and personal data, fed back via criminal's spam email, to catch them?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why not use 'poison' credit card and personal data, fed back via criminal's spam email, to catch them?

Not exactly 'poison' data, but when in a peevish mood, I have sometimes disabled my filter for the most obvious scammers (the ex treasurer of a former country and the uk lottery winners) and fed them each others contact email addresses, pretending to be interested. Let them spam each other for a while. Not that it really helps anything, but it makes me feel better ;)

A 'marked' credit card number would be great though. Something that points the bank (and by extension, the law enforcement) to the location of the transaction immediately. It's usability might depend on how the scammer abuses the identity theft though.

@Krezack: Not sure what you are trying to imply?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wasn't aware of that!

*goes off to eat bananas*

Don't plan to get drunk off them; most of it is in the skin. The alcohol percent of the flesh is in the single digits.

Gorth: I thought it was obvious: alcohol is prohibited for Muslims, hence why they avoid many perfumes and deodorants, for example.

Guest The Architect
Don't plan to get drunk off them; most of it is in the skin. The alcohol percent of the flesh is in the single digits.

I know.

Gorth: I thought it was obvious: alcohol is prohibited for Muslims, hence why they avoid many perfumes and deodorants, for example.

Yes, but what does this have to do with the topic?

One 'problem' would be that these numbers sometimes arn't actually used by the people who steal them, but rather, sold en-mass via IRC to the people who can make use of them.

Wouldn't that make them even more useful to law enforcement? Because instead of tracing some random zombie PC you get pinged by the actual fraudster?

i supose the biggest issue there would be that the same numbers would turn up repeateedly, allowing scammers to spot the lures.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Quite possibly, hence the quotation marks around problem.

Even so, I wonder if there is any merit to this plan, since i'd cirtainly hope so.

I suspect the problem could be entrapment? But I'm not sure. I simply don't know enough about this kind of fraud. BUt it seems to me that having mroe ways to trace criminals can only be a good thing.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, it could fall into legal problems like that screensaver program that will, when running, use your computers spare CPU cycles to send spam requests for information to known spam sites, wasting their bandwith.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, it could fall into legal problems like that screensaver program that will, when running, use your computers spare CPU cycles to send spam requests for information to known spam sites, wasting their bandwith.

I'd forgotten about that. Really, as you know I'm hardly a fan of vigilante justice (Or as I like to call it The Judge Hades Fiery Destruction Half Hour), but it seems to me that in the absence of any law enforcement online people HAVE to prosecute the fight against net criminals. In any event, I don't see even now what possible objection the spamsters would have. Indeed, they'd have to rbing a case, identifiying themselves as spamsters.

-Elwood Blues

Yes, but what does this have to do with the topic?

I suspected this was a topic on random musings, but it appears Walsingham is in actuality voraciously interested in the topic at hand.

:teehee: It appears I would be churlish to refuse you the option of sitting in the corner randomly musing.

-Elwood Blues

I wonder if Muslims are aware that bananas contain large amounts of alcohol in them.

Technically it is the fermatation of grapes and grain, not just alcohal. Some conservative Muslims believe the spirit of the scripture means all alcohal while moderates go and say...

LOOPHOLE!

Ever watch 13th Warrior?

Norseman: "Its made from honey!"

Muslim: *blinks* *chugs down the mead*

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

My response on the religious aspect of booze is always the same: humility is a rare gift, and nothing breeds true humility like waking up in a chair at 90 degrees, wearing no pants, and with vomit up your nose.

-Elwood Blues

Heh, woke up once after having slept in a phoetal position on a small recliner chair. Walked around like a penitent the rest of the day. Humility indeed :)

I wonder how much it would reduce the worlds scam attempts if places offering free mail services were held responsible for activities taking place. Not just the site from which it originates, but also the destination addresses where scammers collect info. It would be nice to hold them responsible for damage done if they through negligence allows people to be ripped off. I sometimes think that the (virtual) world would be a better place without free email addresses.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Buy a Visa gift card. Set up the internet account under whatever name you choose. Use the card to buy coffee or whatever until you've burned the card down to about $5. Then give that card info out to the spammers. Check you internet card account to see who's trying to use it and for how much. Since these cards are used just like a credit card ( but won't allow you to go negative with the balance ), the spammers probably won't know the difference and it could be worth the $5 lost just to annoy them. :wink:

Once they've tried to access the card to use it, you should have some of the bogus info of their 'company' and you can amuse yourself by spamming them with bondage ads or just use the address of some other spammer. :)

'tsall good! :wink:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Life lesson:

Don't EVER feth with Tarna.

-Elwood Blues