CPU Thread

Bokishi

Ok I mentioned in the other thread that I was holding off for that Penryn Q9540, but I might hold off again after reading about this

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._This_Year.html

Imagine you can get a SkullTrail Mobo and put two of those in for a 12-core system!!!

Then again it's going to be expensive as hell, so I might just get the Q9540 along with an nForce 790i Ultra

I thought Intel was releasing their Octacore systems later this year? Or am I too far ahead?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is this new 6 core nehalem going to be compatible with the mobos that support 1333FSB? I think the highest my motherboard will support so far are the new Yorkdales 1333FSB quad core 45nm cpus. that might be the nail in the coffin upgrade for my 965P mobo. whats the last CPU your mobo will support bok?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

According to Wikipedia, "Nehalem" quad- and octacore will be released late this year. It doesnt say which socket or chipset it will use, but its likely that you'll need a completely new mobo to support it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

According to Wikipedia, "Nehalem" quad- and octacore will be released late this year. It doesnt say which socket or chipset it will use, but its likely that you'll need a completely new mobo to support it.

The only things I've been able to dig up so far is this:

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/540

715, 1160 & 1366 sockets if I understood the the analysis correctly.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Since this is a CPU thread, which of these is better the Core 2 Duo E6850 or the Core 2 Quad Q6600? There both near the same price, in my price range but the E6850 cost a little more than the Quad.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Don't buy the e6850, because there's the e8400 now (same clockspeed, but newer generation, more cache, thus faster), and that is even cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037.

Buying a quad or a dual core... I'd say for todays games the c2d8400 is faster than the c2q6600, but I don't know what the future brings :) Probably there's a Quad-Core user here that can share some experience :p

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I would choose the Core 2 Duo, as even the extremely low Ghz module in my laptop can handle Half Life 2: Episode Two at almost full specs and a thirty-two person game of Team Fortress Two.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

No, you wouldnt. Clockspeed is a very inaccurate way to measure speed since what a CPU actually accomplishes during a clock cycle varies considerably. A single 2gHz C2D core is faster than a P4 3gHz. You could measure CPU power in FLOPS, but thats not accurate either since far from every process is about grinding floating point calculations.

The best thing is to go to Tom's Hardware or similar and look at the benchmarking charts. If you want a gaming CPU, look at how it performs in gaming

I am by no means a computing wonk, but I also suspect that moving from a 3GHz P4 to a 2GHz C2D Core would result in a performance hit for applications using only a single core. My reasoning is that the P4 has a poweful single core architecture optimized for single core applications (it's problem was heat, not speed) and on top of that has a 50% higher clock speed (assuming the above numbers). Besides, C2D Core must have some kind of 'sorter' on the input side (and indeed a 'joiner' on the output side) that splits instructions among the two cores. When one of the cores is inactive, instructions must still pass through it, but it only acts as overhead, as do other processes/controllers/instruction sets that are there for multi-core processing.

stop da presses! I think I'll get the e8400. It's a dual core but can be oc'd to 4ghz+

I was just reading about that. They had it at 4.1GHz.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I know it can't support anything Penryn

Hmm so all motherboards that support penryn Im talking about (975,965,Missing one in this spot... fill in the blank, 38X, 48X) will be set for Yorkfields, and thats about the last generation of cpus that will be compatible, correct, or no?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Well, Ive ben looking at TH's charts and if you compare the vanilla C2D "conroe" E6600 which is 2,4gHz to a Pentium 4 E "prescott" 3gHz

C2D: 106

Pntium4: 49.8

Twice as fast and that is with the C2D using only a single core, as Quake4 does not support multithreading. Intel made one hell of a performance leap with the C2D

Well, Ive ben looking at TH's charts and if you compare the vanilla C2D "conroe" E6600 which is 2,4gHz to a Pentium 4 E "prescott" 3gHz

C2D: 106

Pntium4: 49.8

Twice as fast and that is with the C2D using only a single core, as Quake4 does not support multithreading. Intel made one hell of a performance leap with the C2D

That's interesting. I would suspect that Quake 4 is using one core and the other core runs the various backround processes of the operating system. Otherwise, I simply cannot explain it. The performance gap you show is huge.

The P4 was just a waste. It was slower (at the same clockspeed) than its predecessor pIII. It used more power. The Athlons easily let it bite the dust (?), having a significantly higher IPC. The Core2 architecture has an IPC (instructions per cycle) higher than the A64, making it absolutely superior to the P4. If it really is a 50% increase in performance is doubtable, but certainly not impossible in certain scenarios. Quake 4 actually does support multithreading, so it's not an ideal basis for comparing a single core P4 to a C2D. Take a Pentium D, for example, to compare it to a C2D.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority